What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

5K Qs

Gold Member
A couple stainless on a rainy day here. B. Svoboda stag pen knife and a RR bone stockman. View attachment 1193836
Alluring couple of knives; the stag pen is a real standout! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

These two Tuesday totes are both wearing jigged bone covers from the same factory, made 50 years apart; a pre WWII Kutmaster scout and a 1987 BB Winchester toothpick.:D
Breathtaking toothpick, and legendary bone on both, JJ! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Morning folks, thought I'd treat myself to a Double Lambsfoot Day ;) :thumbsup:

53tenCk.jpg

EkDoxUm.jpg
Morning folks, all stag for me today :) :thumbsup:
oCdNnaD.jpg
Looks like you have some capital Knife of the Year candidates, Jack! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Today in my pocket.;):thumbsup:

Desirable TC Barlow, José! :cool::cool::thumbsup: That coin inspired me to look up the Latin phrase, and I was intrigued by the history going back to Constantine, with connections to Portugal and to Knights Templar!

Templar Trapper Tuesday...
Speaking of Templar, that's an excellent example of a distinctive style from GEC, John! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

Good morning! I hope y’all have a great Tuesday! :) :thumbsup:

48574513506_af0fa85d4d_b_d.jpg
I’m carrying these two today. A Northfield Blood Red #73 Scout from 2011 and a Wright’s Ebony Guardians Lambsfoot from 2018.

42282072260_7eaa5994b7_b_d.jpg
Fabulous pairs, Ron; looks like there might be a "theme" in the pairs you're posting! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Thanks a lot Gary! :thumbsup::)
Nice to see your "fab four"!:cool:
Looks like your sodbuster has seen some duty there!
I'm totin' these three beauties today: Lionsteel, A. Wright & son and a Buck. Have a great day everyone.:thumbsup:
gE4uGXJ.jpg
Thanks, Mark. :) That Case Sodbuster Jr was my first single-blade knife, I think, that I won in a GAW early in my time at BF. I used it quite a bit when I first got it, seeing how I liked a single drop point blade, and watching the patina develop. :thumbsup:
You have a gallant international trio from Italy, UK, and USA!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Maybe not a practical plan, to carry all three.
rj3zWNk.jpg

Especially since I should be carrying a Tuesday trapper as well.
IMHO, the phrase "the more, the merrier" is especially apt in the context of pocket knife carry! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup:

It is a smallish knife (somewhere in vicinity of GEC #14) and a thin one too so it must be a good one to keep in wallet, I guess. It disappears in my pocket like nothing else. I always have to fish it out.
Thanks for the helpful comparison shots of that fish knife. :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

John Primble 916 Stockman from the estate sale a few weeks back, finally got it cleaned up. I've seen this knife advertised as bone, but I believe these scales are Delrin.

View attachment 1194047
View attachment 1194048
That's a handsome stockman, Chris! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Today it's a mid '70s USA Schrade "Slenderino," an 897UH with some nice color and a rare tang stamp.

8Dy8ijx.jpg

Jeff and Gev, your Uncles are ideal stockman models! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

The back side of old patchy is a little more presentable.

View attachment 1194087
Joyous photo of your jewel, Paul! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Killer pairing, Taylor! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

It's another Palindromic Day, whether you write it as: 9/10/19, or 9/10/2019.
If you write it European style...never mind. ;)

LB0Ik0y.jpg

29/92
4ZcBqc5.jpg

92/29
Nice catch, Rachel. :cool: :thumbsup:
Don't you wonder what 5K Qs 5K Qs (GT) does to celebrate days like this? :D
I laud that 29/92 pair, Rachel! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:
John, I didn't even realize until last weekend, when my daughter sent me a link about it, that recent years have had these long strings of palindromic dates (Rachel's 9/10/19 starts a streak that doesn't end until 9/19/19)! :eek::( The link I read claimed this was that last such streak this century, which saddened me, but once I started thinking about it, I realized the link was wrong, and such streaks will occur throughout the next decade as well (e.g., 3/20/23 - 3/29/23). There is NOT such a streak NEXT year, but if you use MM/DD/YYYY notation, my wife's next birthday, 02/02/2020, is special! :D

Dean, there are some good choices among the imports in the slenderino class, these from Marbles and RR.
jr8N0Uh.jpg
Quality quintet of slender stockmans, Jeff! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

My Stag Stockyard Whittler:thumbsup:
MgbF0r.jpg

Magnificent stag on your Stockyard Whittler, Paul! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

These 2 are in my pockets today .

Harry
Notable WCLF pair, Harry! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Great foursome Gary; your Case pocket worn is certainly lovely eye candy!:thumbsup::thumbsup::D
Thanks for the support, sir. :)

Today's wooden Wednesday totes are a 1965-69 beast from Case wearing "Wonderwood" and a lightweight super slicer from MAM wearing Beechwood.:)
Gotta be quite a weight difference between those two, JJ! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup: I have a couple of MAMs I like, but I'll have to pick up one with that blade shape sometime. :cool::thumbsup: Do you like the liner lock?

Today with A. Wright & Son, Hartshead Barlow.;):thumbsup:
Splendor in the Grass, José! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Thanks! That's the Baby, Gary. I picked this one up at the Zippo - Case Store in Bradford, PA. It was the nicest of the 2 they had available.
Thanks for the info, Gary. :) I have several mini canoes, and I like them, but I haven't tried a Case Baby Butterbean thus far; may have to remedy that in 2020! :cool::thumbsup:

That's an ornate Peanut, Jon! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

Kim carrying her 1 dot Case Christmas tree #18 Stockman. I'm carrying this c. 1946-1956 Imperial cracked ice Toothpick. Both from estate sale this weekend.
Both beauties, Chris, but I have a soft spot for big Imperial toothpicks (and even better if they have a secondary blade)! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

I appreciate your compliments and interest, my friend! Very kind.
Lots on fascinating info in your post, Jeff! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: Thanks for the jigging tips, for clarifying your pull-reduction technique, for posting your lovely wood knives, and for the ongoing story of commitment, growing trees from scratch! ;):cool::thumbsup:

- GT

TheChunk91

Gold Member
For some reason I only had 1 knife in my pockets . This don't happen often . Needed to carry my 2015 Red .Sawcut 77 Barlow .

Harry

A true beauty that one.

When I went to put this in my back pocket this morning I went and flung it on the floor like a spaz, the floor being laminated wood over a slab; not exactly soft. Thankfully no harm was done that I can find.

IMG_5174.jpg

Amir Fleschwund

Gold Member
Have the 72 with me today after I applied some potassium permanganate to the covers. I really like how it turned out. Much prefer this darker brown to the more orangey color before. I liked this knife a lot before I applied the PP but now I really love it!:)
It’s a great color now, and I agree-quite an improvement!

Working in your own jigging is awesome Jeff; very impressive!;):thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks Harvey!!! Love the excellent depth your photo reveals of that wonderful jigging!:cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:
You’re very kind, and I agree - Harvey’s knife has some incredible jigging.

For today's "Thursday totes", two trapper patterns from GEC caught my fancy; a #53 Furtaker trapper and a #43 Oregon trapper.:D
Wow! Works of art.

Today with the Portuguese Martins de Palaçoulo.;):thumbsup:

That’s wonderful!

Thanks Jeff, one find like this keeps me stopping at flea markets, garage sales & antique stores for a long time! Wonderful work you've done on those rehabs thanks for showing.:thumbsup:
I know, Mark. But I don’t think I’ve ever even seen a Case at our big flea market, much less one in mint condition.
Thank you for your kind comment!

I’ve got these two in my pockets this morning. :) I probably won’t need them both, but what’s that got to do with it! ;) Y’all have a great Thursday! :D :thumbsup:

48332462872_0cda0b9b35_b_d.jpg
You’ll probably “need” the nail file on a SAK, but will keep pulling these out to admire.
And aint nothing wrong with that!

Very attractive bone color with that treatment, nicely done. :cool::thumbsup:

Carried these two yesterday and thinking I'll stick with them for today as well. View attachment 1194981
I love the S&M jack!

Totin' this Catt. today. The weekend is nearly upon us!:thumbsup: A good day to all.
QIC21bB.jpg
Great one from a great knife company!

Prester John

Gold Member
I laud that 29/92 pair, Rachel! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:
John, I didn't even realize until last weekend, when my daughter sent me a link about it, that recent years have had these long strings of palindromic dates (Rachel's 9/10/19 starts a streak that doesn't end until 9/19/19)! :eek::( The link I read claimed this was that last such streak this century, which saddened me, but once I started thinking about it, I realized the link was wrong, and such streaks will occur throughout the next decade as well (e.g., 3/20/23 - 3/29/23). There is NOT such a streak NEXT year, but if you use MM/DD/YYYY notation, my wife's next birthday, 02/02/2020, is special! :D
Isn't 9/19/19 "Talk like a Pirate Day"?

Fabulous pairs, Ron; looks like there might be a "theme" in the pairs you're posting! :cool::thumbsup::cool:
Thanks for the compliment Gary! :) As far as a "theme" I hadn’t really noticed that.

You’ll probably “need” the nail file on a SAK, but will keep pulling these out to admire.
And aint nothing wrong with that!
This one sailed right over the top of my head Jeff! Thanks anyway!

Old Engineer

Gold Member
As you well know Harry, that one is a personal favorite of mine! :thumbsup: :D
Thanks Ron !! I believe that the early 2015 Red Sawcut 77 Barlows are favorites of many people . Every time I carry mine , I have to wonder why I don't carry it every day .Then I realize that you and I and many other people that we know , probably have the same problem . I do not have enough pockets to carry my Personal Favorites at the same time .

Harry

JohnDF

Gold Member
Speaking of Templar, that's an excellent example of a distinctive style from GEC, John! :thumbsup::cool::cool:
Thanks, GT. :)
I gave it to my son, but I always reserve the right to photograph and carry any knife I give them :D

Aren't numbers fun. :)

Isn't 9/19/19 "Talk like a Pirate Day"?
You are correct... Palindromic Pirate Day?

Misplaced Hillbilly

Gold Member
4J4sSJn.jpg

This poor neglected Case I found in a sorry state in a house we cleaned out. Took a week in wd40 to open it up. Cleaned it up and gave it to my boss. Earlier I walked by a counter where shes installing hardware on cabinet doors, and saw it. I like she's using it,one more forgotten knife put back into service. :D:thumbsup:
V85mHbf.jpg

Mine for today :thumbsup:
Edit: wanted to add those aren't nicks on the blade of the little stockman, thats something stuck to the blade.

Last edited:
Looks great!
Very attractive bone color with that treatment, nicely done. :cool::thumbsup:
It’s a great color now, and I agree-quite an improvement!
Thanks so much guys! Yes I’m stoked on how it turned out.:)

That looks great Nick! :thumbsup: I’ve got a Northfield #73 two blade with Burnt Orange Jigged Bone that I believe will greatly improve with this same treatment. :)
Thank you Ron! I’m pretty sure your 73 will be a good candidate for some PP. Would love to see how it turns out if you decide to try it.

Totin' this Catt. today. The weekend is nearly upon us!:thumbsup: A good day to all.
QIC21bB.jpg
What a beauty!!