What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Duckdog

Gold Member
I'm guessing lock backs are okey dokey? Just so I know...

As noted in the original guidelines for this sub-forum (and posted here https://www.bladeforums.com/threads...tional-folders-fixed-blades-sub-forum.530532/ ):

Relevant Subject Matter & Decorum:

The "Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades" sub-forum is defined as follows:

Discussion of classic Hunters, Trappers, Lockbacks, Slipjoints, Skinners and other classic "traditional" designs...

...In other words, this is a non-commercial knife discussion forum with the focus centered squarely on traditional knives and patterns such as you'll find in this reference:

51QQ8Z86EYL._SS500_.jpg

A bit more detail:
If a regular knife user of the mid 1960's would find nothing out of the ordinary about the design, then it's traditional.

That means large Buck 110-ish lockbacks are in.

SAKs date to the late 1800's. If they are not one hand opening, they are in. (See comments on materials of construction.)

Modern locking mechanisms such as Walker liner locks, pocket clips, holes / studs to allow one hand opening are all out. (Traditional liner locks, such as the lock on a TL29, are in.) Add a clip to a stockman, and it needs to be posted elsewhere. By the same token, if it is traditional except for a clip and you remove the clip, feel free to post it here.

We tend to have some tolerance when it comes to fixed blades. But, new designs with features such as glass breakers, are not included in this forum.

We give leeway on materials of construction. So if you have a nice stockman with G10 covers, it's traditional enough for us. After all, plastics have been used on knife handles since the 1800's. Stainless steel has been used in cutlery since the 1920's, so stainless is considered traditional. And even though PM alloys are new developments, that fella in the mid-1960's would never know the difference if he were looking at the knife, so they are OK, too.

Posts and/or threads that are a better fit elsewhere on bladeforums.com (as well as redundant/duplicate threads) will be moved to the appropriate sub-forum or merged with a pre-existing thread. (Normally a link to the thread will be left behind temporarily.)

(Bladeforums is set up into several sub-forums for the purpose of making it easier for members to find threads that are germane to a certain topic whether that is sharpening, wilderness skills, etc.
Having a thread moved to a more appropriate sub-forum is not a punishment, it is an administrative decision made by the moderators. Please don't harangue the moderators and administrators of the site if you choose not to participate in those other sub-forums. If off-topic threads are allowed for some then there will be no basis for excluding others and that is a precedent we do not wish to start.)"

- Stuart

JJ Cahill

Basic Member
That's some "Heavy Metal", JJ! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup:
Thanks Gary!!! You have quite an outstanding line up today; you're S&M 99 is the icing on the cake!;):thumbsup::thumbsup:
J your daily carry choices are a treat for me to see each day! Thanks for sharing them my friend! The bone on your Whit-L-Craft Scout is absolutely outstanding! They are both outstanding! :thumbsup: :cool:
Thank you Ron!!!
Hope y’all have a great day! :D

40353335583_9f09bac97b_b_d.jpg
Your two ebony beauties are certainly a site for sore eyes; superb!:cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Canning Peaches today. :)
img_1538-jpg.1195614
An awesome knife for slicing up those tasty treats; perfect combination Dave!:D:thumbsup::thumbsup:
To a hammer....everything looks like a nail

42622811271_08de3fe4ba_b.jpg

Eureka jack - New York Knife Co. - Hammer Brand
Very cool; you really nailed it with that beautiful old hammer, Gev!:thumbsup::thumbsup::rolleyes:
Wow, I'm infatuated! Both of those Catts are treasures. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: Thank you for posting them!
Thanks you for your kind words Dean!!!
My circa 2000 Buck Cadet for old friends and black Friday. This was my EDC for year or two in the early 2000s. It is a 3-spring stockman and is very well made.

Great shot of your Buck Cadet; can't get a more handy knife than the all American stockman!:thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:
t may be Friday the 13th, but so far the only thing crossing my path is good fortune. I’ve been looking for a TW Ablett for sometime. May he rest easy.
387f312c-553b-4f12-928d-342233b13586-jpeg.1195709
Thanks Harvey!!! You certainly have many amazing Sheffield lovelies; I'm happy you found your latest TW Ablett beauty, extraordinary!:D:thumbsup::thumbsup:
otin' black knives on a full moon Friday the 13th! What could go wrong?

1mmMxRX.jpg
Wow Stuart, those are a couple of black beauty Queens for the Friday the 13th; they look like museum level pieces!:cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:
That is definitely a Cool Catt Nick; love the fully intact etch!:thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Is the spring broken?
No it’s not broken. I think what you’re seeing is the nail file/pipe scraper tool peeking out the back at where the little cut out is for access to it.

That is definitely a Cool Catt Nick; love the fully intact etch!:thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:
Thanks JJ! I really like the bone on your Catt scout. Cattaraugus made really good looking bone, some of which are very similar to Robeson’s and I wonder if they were actually from the same supplier? Also like profile of that spey blade, kinda like a drop point blade. IIRC, I was watching one exactly like yours from the big bay a little while back but I didn’t pull the trigger. Yours is a single blade ya?

JJ Cahill

Basic Member
Thanks JJ! I really like the bone on your Catt scout. Cattaraugus made really good looking bone, some of which are very similar to Robeson’s and I wonder if they were actually from the same supplier? Also like profile of that spey blade, kinda like a drop point blade. IIRC, I was watching one exactly like yours from the big bay a little while back but I didn’t pull the trigger. Yours is a single blade ya?
Thanks Nick! I have noticed the similarity in bone between Robeson and Cattaraugus as well; I know there were Case family members involved with both companies (early with Catt and post WWII with Robeson) so there could be a connection? The spey is a single blade I P/U on the big bay around a year back. :)

Toting a couple of Case knives today; the most recent CV Barlow and a bare head jack from the 70s. :)

Will Power

Gold Member
The 38 is a beautiful frame and has housed some interesting variations, still room for more though e.g. a Penknife Northfield/Tidioute.:cool: Here's the Farmer's Jack which is far more useful than you might at first think, the Pruner/Hawkbill is obviously easy to open but it opens stuff really well too- bags, packages, clamshell plus it acts as a formidable slicer of fruits or salami. Here's a Camel Bone Tidioute version which is a firm favourite and is getting more carry today.

tH2hxDa.jpg

Ramrodmb

Gold Member
It’s a great color now, and I agree-quite an improvement!

You’re very kind, and I agree - Harvey’s knife has some incredible jigging.

Wow! Works of art.

That’s wonderful!

I know, Mark. But I don’t think I’ve ever even seen a Case at our big flea market, much less one in mint condition.
Thank you for your kind comment!

You’ll probably “need” the nail file on a SAK, but will keep pulling these out to admire.
And aint nothing wrong with that!

I love the S&M jack!

Great one from a great knife company!
:thumbsup: It keeps me looking Jeff!:thumbsup:

Thanks so much guys! Yes I’m stoked on how it turned out.:)

Thank you Ron! I’m pretty sure your 73 will be a good candidate for some PP. Would love to see how it turns out if you decide to try it.

What a beauty!!
Thanks Nick! Love your bone 72!

Your post was the inspiration for my totin' two today, JJ. (Btw, I have a straight line stamped BB 1924, like yours, and an arched stamped one, too. Love'em.)

Brilliant pair, Rn.

Ultra Utica, Steve.

Yep!

Covers of caramel, GT. So sweet!

Whew!!

Something's fishy, if you ask me. At least, you'e hooked one, Jack.

You are THE winner, Mark.

Just trying to show my appreciation, GT.

Very clever, sir. And thank you,

Both are gorgeous old knives, Chris Congrats to both of you.

I see the theme, too = great pairings (and the cover colors contribute, too).

Impressive improvisation and improvements, Jeff.

The rams foot is radiant, Steve, but the Remington is the prize, in my eyes.

Thank you, Dean.

Absolutely amazing angular art, Harvey.

Seriously solid stuff, Jeff.

Nice job, Nick. Really perks it up.

Dang, that's a potent pair that you've pocketed, Ron.

Simply marvelous, Mark.

Jiminy Christmas, that's a beauty, Alan.

Well done, David. Another knife with a renewed life.

A perfectly practical pair, pal.

- Stuart
Thank you sir!:thumbsup:

Wow Mark, that's a lovely Catt; the "Indian trail" jigging is marvelous!;):thumbsup::thumbsup:

Awesome Schrade along with those cool old BB cards; they certainly bring back memories!:cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thank you Gary!!! It's very hard to beat the old pre WWII jigging! I like the MAM liner lock slightly better than the Opinel twist lock, more intuitive.:rolleyes:
Great foursome you put together today! I'm looking forward to seeing your BB Win sowbelly too!!!:cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I really do admire the patience and skill jigging takes; one day we'll see your jigging looking like Harvey's knife!:D:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Very sweet couple of beauties for you today; looks like another great elk horn covered EO by you!:thumbsup::thumbsup::D

Thanks Harvey!!! You really paired up a couple fabulous knives; the incredible jigging from yesterday with the lovely file work and coined liners of you snakewood? lamb, wow!:D:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks Stuart!!! The arched tang stamp is a real rarity! That bone on your 2 beauties was such a perfect cover for these original BB Winchesters; no doubt about their legendary status!:):thumbsup::thumbsup:

After viewing the Catt beauty of Ramrodmb Ramrodmb today, I grabbed for these two from Cattaraugus to tote for today; a Whit-L-Craft scout and a cocobolo spey jack.:D
Thanks Jj! Those are both fantastic Catts as well!

Missing a day here has left me hopelessly behind, so I'll just throw in my carry, and wish everyone a good Friday ;) :thumbsup:

6FJQfeW.jpg

lVursYl.jpg
Lucy looks great Jack! Beautiful custom also.:cool:

Good find! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Welcome back, Todd! :) You've posted a couple of attractive SBJrs. :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Looks like a place with a helpful hardware man, Stuart; very cool! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

I always appreciate your input, Dean. :) I almost never use Vic toothpick or tweezers; I guess I don't know what I'm missing. :rolleyes:

Excellent choices, Dean! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

W:eek:W!! That's a compelling custom, Harvey, with jaw-dropping jigging! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

Dynamite dye job, Nick! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

That's a winner, Dave! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

That's some "Heavy Metal", JJ! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup:

Handsome knife with intriguing handle, José! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Ron, if I had to draw up a list of the 5 GEC models that appeal most to me, both that jigged bone WCLF and the Churchill would be on the list! ;):cool::cool:

I'd forgotten that you had that glorious Catt, Mark! :eek::thumbsup::thumbsup:

OO GEC 29 SYW is A-OK, JDF!! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

RRRAARRR! :D:thumbsup::thumbsup:
That's only a week away, matey.

Yes, I certainly am thrilled about one of those slim stockmans in your photo! :thumbsup::thumbsup::D
That Bulldog is no mutt! ;):cool::cool:

Distinctive blade combo on your yellow copperhead, Steve! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Long, lean, lithe, lissome - lovely! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

What a quality quartet, Dean! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: I suddenly yearn for yellow. ;)

I'm grateful for your daily remarks, Stuart. :)

I miss @SAK Guy.

Watch Pocket Knife of the Week is a Hen & Rooster mini canoe (thanks, Will):
View attachment 1195520

Big Knife of the Week is a Remington Big Daddy Barlow (thanks, Shawn):
View attachment 1195521

Peanut-like Knife of the Week is a Rough Rider baby copperhead:
View attachment 1195522

Miscellaneous Knife of the Week is a S & M #99 (thanks, Jack):
View attachment 1195523

- GT
Thanks GT! Love that Ebony S&M!:thumbsup:

Going to carry this Elderberry Camel bone 77 while anticipating my new Amber sawcut's arrival.:cool:
oXvYYi5.jpg

scrteened porch

Gold Member
I'm guessing lock backs are okey dokey? Just so I know...
As long as it isn't a notoriously innovative locking system. Like a Gerber Gator. But if you find out the hard way, don't take it personally. There are gray areas, and the mods try to protect the subforum by erring on the side of conservatism.

Not that our mods would ever err!