1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by jackknife, Apr 8, 2008.

1. W.M.B.

W.M.B.

Oct 11, 2013
    Is the spring broken?

2. Duckdog

Duckdog Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 26, 2012
    As noted in the original guidelines for this sub-forum (and posted here https://www.bladeforums.com/threads...tional-folders-fixed-blades-sub-forum.530532/ ):

Relevant Subject Matter & Decorum:

The "Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades" sub-forum is defined as follows:

Discussion of classic Hunters, Trappers, Lockbacks, Slipjoints, Skinners and other classic "traditional" designs...

...In other words, this is a non-commercial knife discussion forum with the focus centered squarely on traditional knives and patterns such as you'll find in this reference:

[​IMG]
    A bit more detail:
    If a regular knife user of the mid 1960's would find nothing out of the ordinary about the design, then it's traditional.

That means large Buck 110-ish lockbacks are in.

SAKs date to the late 1800's. If they are not one hand opening, they are in. (See comments on materials of construction.)

Modern locking mechanisms such as Walker liner locks, pocket clips, holes / studs to allow one hand opening are all out. (Traditional liner locks, such as the lock on a TL29, are in.) Add a clip to a stockman, and it needs to be posted elsewhere. By the same token, if it is traditional except for a clip and you remove the clip, feel free to post it here.

We tend to have some tolerance when it comes to fixed blades. But, new designs with features such as glass breakers, are not included in this forum.

We give leeway on materials of construction. So if you have a nice stockman with G10 covers, it's traditional enough for us. After all, plastics have been used on knife handles since the 1800's. Stainless steel has been used in cutlery since the 1920's, so stainless is considered traditional. And even though PM alloys are new developments, that fella in the mid-1960's would never know the difference if he were looking at the knife, so they are OK, too.

Posts and/or threads that are a better fit elsewhere on bladeforums.com (as well as redundant/duplicate threads) will be moved to the appropriate sub-forum or merged with a pre-existing thread. (Normally a link to the thread will be left behind temporarily.)

(Bladeforums is set up into several sub-forums for the purpose of making it easier for members to find threads that are germane to a certain topic whether that is sharpening, wilderness skills, etc.
    Having a thread moved to a more appropriate sub-forum is not a punishment, it is an administrative decision made by the moderators. Please don't harangue the moderators and administrators of the site if you choose not to participate in those other sub-forums. If off-topic threads are allowed for some then there will be no basis for excluding others and that is a precedent we do not wish to start.)"

- Stuart

3. cigarrodog

cigarrodog Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 18, 2014
  4. TheFactor

TheFactor Life is good ! Platinum Member

Feb 26, 2015
    Love this case Barlow :thumbsup: She’s a great example.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pàdruig, Duckdog, mitch13 and 32 others like this.
  5. Revolvergeek

Revolvergeek

Jan 14, 2002
    [​IMG]

These two handled everything today.

6. specgrade

specgrade Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 21, 2009
    @Duckdog Thank you. Very informative.

Duckdog likes this.
  7. akaMatt

akaMatt Gold Member Gold Member

May 10, 2017
    Your Russell peanut (assuming that's what that is) is amazing!

8. thefrank

thefrank

Jan 26, 2013
    Thank you for the kind words!! It's a Douglass Neo 3 from Tokyo Pipe Company.

Jak3 likes this.
  9. Revolvergeek

Revolvergeek

Jan 14, 2002
    Thank you very much! That is exactly what it is. I was very fortunate to find it. It cuts as good as it looks.

Peregrin and akaMatt like this.
  10. JJ Cahill

JJ Cahill Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 10, 2018
    Thanks Gary!!! You have quite an outstanding line up today; you're S&M 99 is the icing on the cake!;):thumbsup::thumbsup:
    Thank you Ron!!!
    Your two ebony beauties are certainly a site for sore eyes; superb!:cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:
    An awesome knife for slicing up those tasty treats; perfect combination Dave!:D:thumbsup::thumbsup:
    Very cool; you really nailed it with that beautiful old hammer, Gev!:thumbsup::thumbsup::rolleyes:
    Thanks you for your kind words Dean!!!
    Great shot of your Buck Cadet; can't get a more handy knife than the all American stockman!:thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:
    Thanks Harvey!!! You certainly have many amazing Sheffield lovelies; I'm happy you found your latest TW Ablett beauty, extraordinary!:D:thumbsup::thumbsup:
    Wow Stuart, those are a couple of black beauty Queens for the Friday the 13th; they look like museum level pieces!:cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:
    That is definitely a Cool Catt Nick; love the fully intact etch!:thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Duckdog, cigarrodog, RDaneel and 4 others like this.
  11. kai76

kai76

Jun 5, 2009
    No it’s not broken. I think what you’re seeing is the nail file/pipe scraper tool peeking out the back at where the little cut out is for access to it.

Thanks JJ! I really like the bone on your Catt scout. Cattaraugus made really good looking bone, some of which are very similar to Robeson’s and I wonder if they were actually from the same supplier? Also like profile of that spey blade, kinda like a drop point blade. IIRC, I was watching one exactly like yours from the big bay a little while back but I didn’t pull the trigger. Yours is a single blade ya?

JJ Cahill likes this.
  12. JJ Cahill

JJ Cahill Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 10, 2018
    Thanks Nick! I have noticed the similarity in bone between Robeson and Cattaraugus as well; I know there were Case family members involved with both companies (early with Catt and post WWII with Robeson) so there could be a connection? The spey is a single blade I P/U on the big bay around a year back. :)

Toting a couple of Case knives today; the most recent CV Barlow and a bare head jack from the 70s. :)
    [​IMG]

13. Will Power

Will Power Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 18, 2007
    The 38 is a beautiful frame and has housed some interesting variations, still room for more though e.g. a Penknife Northfield/Tidioute.:cool: Here's the Farmer's Jack which is far more useful than you might at first think, the Pruner/Hawkbill is obviously easy to open but it opens stuff really well too- bags, packages, clamshell plus it acts as a formidable slicer of fruits or salami. Here's a Camel Bone Tidioute version which is a firm favourite and is getting more carry today.

[​IMG]

Pàdruig, TheFactor, Duckdog and 25 others like this.
  14. Pt-Luso

Pt-Luso Basic Member Basic Member

Nov 8, 2014
    Thank you Gary.:):thumbsup:

15. Pt-Luso

Pt-Luso Basic Member Basic Member

Nov 8, 2014
    Because today is Saturday, a good day to all.
    Today with one of these Portuguese in stag.:):thumbsup:

[​IMG]

TheFactor, Duckdog, mitch13 and 24 others like this.
  16. DelOro

DelOro

Jan 17, 2016
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Enjoy your Saturday! :D:):D

17. Ramrodmb

Ramrodmb Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 9, 2010
    :thumbsup: It keeps me looking Jeff!:thumbsup:

Thanks Nick! Love your bone 72!

Thank you sir!:thumbsup:

Thanks Jj! Those are both fantastic Catts as well!

Lucy looks great Jack! Beautiful custom also.:cool:

Thanks GT! Love that Ebony S&M!:thumbsup:

Going to carry this Elderberry Camel bone 77 while anticipating my new Amber sawcut's arrival.:cool:
    [​IMG]

Pàdruig, TheFactor, Duckdog and 25 others like this.
  18. scrteened porch

scrteened porch Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 19, 2012
    As long as it isn't a notoriously innovative locking system. Like a Gerber Gator. But if you find out the hard way, don't take it personally. There are gray areas, and the mods try to protect the subforum by erring on the side of conservatism.

Not that our mods would ever err!

Duckdog, cigarrodog, dc50 and 3 others like this.
  19. Ripcord 82

Ripcord 82

Feb 15, 2019
    Years ago, I guess you could call me the Road Runner but now days, I guess that you could call me Porky.Nice looking stag.

Cutfinger likes this.
  20. DelOro

DelOro

Jan 17, 2016
    Thank You! :)