What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by jackknife, Apr 8, 2008.

1. Pt-Luso

Pt-Luso Basic Member Basic Member

Nov 8, 2014
    Many thanks Gary.:):thumbsup:

2. Pt-Luso

Nov 8, 2014
    Pretty patina on a good knife Gary.;):thumbsup:

3. Pt-Luso

Nov 8, 2014
    Good morning everyone, here in Ermesinde after a rainy day, Sunday began with the sun shining.
    Today with Wright's Hartshead Barlow.;):thumbsup:

[​IMG]

4. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Looking good Paul, hope you get to put your feet up today :)

Great-looking Hess :thumbsup:

That's yer genuine Bexoid Harvey! :D :thumbsup:

Thanks JJ, a kind gift from Duncan @Campbellclanman a few years back :) During WW2, all the Sheffield cutlers produced knives for the British Military. There were several patterns, but most had checkered 'Bexoid' scales, like this:

[​IMG]

Some companies continued to produce them after WW2, but a few also produced knives for sale in NAAFI institutions, which would probably have been bought mainly by men doing post-war 'National Service', and used up some of the tooling, and even the parts, left over from the clasp knives. There are three patterns I know of, a Sheepsfoot, Sheepsfoot and Pen, and this one :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

Morning folks, hope everyone is having a great weekend :) I've got a load of chores today, so I better stop lollygagging and get on with them! :rolleyes: Enjoy your Sunday folks :) :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Ripcord 82

Ripcord 82

Feb 15, 2019
    This one is going with me today.
    [​IMG]

6. Travman

Travman Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2016
  7. Old Hunter

Old Hunter Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 12, 2012
    Went to the 50th Anniversary of my old Boy Scout camp yesterday, I was on the first staff in 1969. Carried a Buck 110 and an old Imperial Scout to mark the occasion. There were only a few guys there from 1969, but it was a fun day in the woods on the river. OH

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
  9. scrteened porch

scrteened porch Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 19, 2012
    [​IMG]
    One's in better focus, one's better centered, so hey! I'll use both!
    [​IMG]
    What to do with all those carrots (not of my growing).

10. RayseM

RayseM Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 18, 2010
  11. scrteened porch

scrteened porch Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 19, 2012
    Some of them are deep purple.
    Radio stations should play Smoke on the Water more often.
    Of course nowadays we have Pandora, but their ads can be insulting.

Duckdog and Misplaced Hillbilly like this.
  12. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Nice Barlow John :thumbsup:

You've got the makings of a good stew there Jer :) :thumbsup:

13. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    Thank you, Jack. :)
    I need to get a picture of my NF and Hartshead Barlows together. :cool::thumbsup:

14. SteveC

SteveC Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 13, 2017
    Utica Jack and a small Western Stockman with punch

[​IMG]

15. dc50

dc50 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 14, 2006
    Good Morning! :)
    Boker Copper head3.JPG

16. Jiki

Jiki Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 12, 2018
    Just working in the yard...[​IMG]

17. 5K Qs

5K Qs Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2014
    Your swayback/barlow combo is a salubrious Case couple, Dean! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Wharncliffe/spey sounds like a satisfying combination, although I'd prefer a mini trapper with spey/lambsfoot. ;):thumbsup::thumbsup:

Salutary stag lambsfoot, Harvey! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Scintillating photo of your fish barlow, Gev! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Surpassing selection, Jack! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Swell pic of your swell-center whittler at the swell-less beach, Nick! ;):cool::cool:

Sweet spearpoint, Dave! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

Thanks, Del. :D Sounds like a sumptuous celebration libation! :cool::cool:;)

I seem to have that effect on students in class. :rolleyes: I hope your dreams were sweet!

Maybe I should get some of that seductive fragrance, Harvey, since I've become such a canoesseur. ;) I've been living basically unscented for the past 45 years, but in high school it would have been Old Spice for me (probably because that's what Dad used). About that time, I think a younger sister may have given me some of Vince's favorite potion as a Christmas gift.

Thanks for the support, JJ, and for the inventive naming suggestion. ;):thumbsup:

What a supreme pair, JJ! :cool::thumbsup::cool: That toothpick is especially superlative with the striking celluloid covers! One of my favorite knives is a clip/pen Imperial toothpick a "generation" newer than yours.

You certainly have a lot of sublime stag, José! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Thanks, Steve. :)

What a superb Case/Schrade duo of jack knives, Steve! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Glad you're taking that stylish knife to the summit with you, Paul! I hope you have a super vacation! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Ron, that Northfield stag Barlow is super suave, and the Pere David lambsfoot looks very suitable for apple work! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Dean, I don't notice a difference in weight, but I may not be very precisely calibrated. :rolleyes: I checked a dealer's site that reports weights to the nearest tenth of a pound (again, not a lot of precision), and Case and Buck canoes were both listed at 0.2 pounds (I suppose that could range from about 2.4 to 4 oz.)

Another stellar pair of Case knives, Dean! :thumbsup::cool::cool: I really like the covers on the sowbelly stockman. How do you like the sowbelly so far, as compared to, say, you're 6347?

Your stately sowbelly is stupendous, Gev! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

I'm stupefied by the string of splendorous sowbellies! :thumbsup::eek::thumbsup:

Striking pair of German stag knives, David! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Those stag 73s are state-of-the-art, Harry! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

:thumbsup::cool: Hope you're feeling sleek and solid soon!

Some spectacular colors to enjoy for a couple of weeks, Dave! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Thanks for the info, Dan. :) Certainly surprising and special pics!

Alox SAK of the Week is a Vic Electrician (thanks, Greg):
    electrician.SFbooks.jpg

non-Alox SAK of the Week is a Vic Recruit (thanks to a different Greg for knife and bust):
    recruit.closed.with.bust.jpg

- GT

18. tmd_87

tmd_87 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 29, 2016
    IMG_20190922_074727.jpg
    Woah this is a sweet set up.

19. Amir Fleschwund

Amir Fleschwund Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 29, 2008
    I have just a minute before soundcheck before Sunday worship. Have a great Sunday. FD1056B9-BCB6-4F8F-BF8B-9C07353318C1.jpeg Case jack

20. black mamba

black mamba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Taylor, I see the bigger one came in . . . nice! I'm very happy with my mini-Bowie, thanks again!