What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by jackknife, Apr 8, 2008.

1. Jolipapa

Jolipapa Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Buck '18 BFK, the perfect tool for slicing with the clip, and spread with the sheepsfoot. No possum can around, I'll make do with the traditionnals.

Buck18BFK_pate.jpg
    (warning : California Authorities might not recommend this picture :D;)).

JustinR, TFBraden, WHT and 23 others like this.
  2. 5K Qs

5K Qs Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2014
    Wishing everyone an enjoyable and gratitude-filled Thanksgiving! :thumbsup::):thumbsup:
    I appreciate the info and compliment, JJ. :)

Vintage classics! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Thanks for all your contributions on The Porch, Jack, including the photos of so many fascinating knives, such as that ivory penknife. :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: I'm enjoying the pile-side pics of your stag HHB that you've been posting recently.:)

That's a charming blue pruner, José! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

That harness jack has colorful acrylic, John! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

For me, that's a key question, Jer, that I answer with a resounding, "Not much!", and pocket another knife. :rolleyes::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Is that 861 an ancestor of the 61OT? I agree that it's a wonderful pattern (I have a Chinese 61OT) that carries surprisingly well for such a large stockman. :thumbsup::cool::cool:

Great fall colors on that Barlow, Dean, and the matching stamps on tang and bolster are very cool! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Looks like a Good Day at Black Rock, Gev!! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Beautiful!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Congrats on the handsome pair of new folders, Steve! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Always enjoy the pics of knives on the rocks, Tom; that TC is entrancing! :cool::cool::thumbsup:
    I certainly use the phrase "Alox pox", but I didn't originate it; I think I first read it on the multitools subforum. Good luck with making a sheath; I'd eventually like to make a simple pocket slip with lacing instead of stitching. Thanks for the comment on my leather shoe lace lanyard; I had to remember how to make a 3-strand braid (I couldn't come up with the 4-strand pattern I originally wanted :rolleyes:), including how to "back-braid" the end.

Definitely a situation in which good things come in small packages, Stuart! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

Striking photo of a knife that's always appealed to me! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

That's a handful of Western there, Harry; you could harvest a Christmas tree with that big boy! ;):cool::cool:

I like a Rough Rider sowbelly stockman! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Big Iron! :eek::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Champion choices, Jack! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

You have some very distinguished black single-blade spears, John! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Well-said, Jeff! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Nice to see your classic constant companions, Jeff! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

Intriguing knife, Alan! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

That BF congress jack looks so elegant to me, Ted! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Makes sense; thanks for the info. :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Good to hear your opinion on the Imperial sodbusters, Jack. :):thumbsup::thumbsup:
    Hope for the best, prepare for the worst! :eek:;):rolleyes:

Oops! :rolleyes: Thanks for the correction, Dean. :)

Sounds like you're a man with a plan, Tom. :):cool::cool:
    That Remington scout is desirable! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

- GT

TFBraden, Duckdog, Jolipapa and 14 others like this.
  3. scrteened porch

scrteened porch Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 19, 2012
    And our doctors want us to exercise anyway.

Prester John likes this.
  4. 5K Qs

5K Qs Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2014
    I always like the shields that are "real things", including that wrench, instead of "abstract shapes". ;):thumbsup::thumbsup: Did you ever notice how we tend to refer to the abstract shields by names of real things the shapes sort of remind us of?

Hurrah for the return of Two TEWs Tuesday! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Dynamite duo, Ron! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

:D:thumbsup::thumbsup:

That's another ancient beauty, Harvey! :cool::thumbsup::cool: My eyes are having trouble with the tang stamp; who made that knife?

Lovely little pen knife!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Thanks for the Boswell quote, Will. :cool:;):thumbsup: I haven't travelled very much, but I have seen the Mediterranean from Denia, Spain, so I guess I've achieved the "grand object". :):thumbsup::thumbsup: Speaking of "grand objects", that is a stunning Lionsteel! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

That black lip pearl is striking! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Congrats on a couple of capital knives!! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

A couple of intriguing open Cases you're investigating, Stuart! ;):cool::cool:

Old School is the Best School! Sublime Case stockmans, LT & OH!! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

Pre-holiday preparations made me forget Wooden Wednesday! :eek::(:mad: I'm glad you didn't, JJ; terrific timbered twosome! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

That Tackler's Knife is a favorite, Jack!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

I hope if you get it that you'll enjoy yours as much as I do mine! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Couple of grand gifts, Gary! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

I hope you can clear up that infection ASAP, Jer! :thumbsup::thumbsup: Doesn't turkey soup have fabled recuperative benefits? ;)

Couple of charismatic cattle knives!! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Great to see that old scout pattern again, Buzz! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

Have a safe and happy Thanksgiving, Jeff and everyone else! :):thumbsup::)

- GT

TFBraden, Duckdog, Pt-Luso and 14 others like this.
  5. Amir Fleschwund

Amir Fleschwund Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Happy Thanksgiving!
    B91A18A3-1D1B-4CA9-8286-E1A31FA5A70F.jpeg
    TEW & GEC
    09D8916C-8F1E-4E7E-9B69-060A84A3ED42.jpeg Gratuitous action shot from yesterday. Two fifteen pounders smoked long and slow over hickory and apple wood. 6582ABE8-C91E-4BDA-9AF9-B44979D599D2.jpeg

WHT, Duckdog, ISKRA and 30 others like this.
  6. Beard&Owl

Beard&Owl KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 26, 2012
    25t.jpg Hope everyone has a great day with family and friends!

TFBraden, Duckdog, Jolipapa and 23 others like this.
  7. Half/Stop

Half/Stop Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 25, 2014
    Thank you Gary! :) :thumbsup:

8. Gevonovich

Gevonovich Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Thank you, JJ!! A fine and capable pair you share !! And did I mention...good looking :D:thumbsup::thumbsup:

JJ Cahill likes this.
  9. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    Thank you, GT.
    The Tomato HJ was a generous gift from @knowtracks :cool::thumbsup:

Even though a spear blade isn't my favorite, every time I see a spear blade paired with black wood it just speaks to me. :)

10. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    Happy Thanksgiving to all my friends on the Porch.
    Going to carry "my knife" today. If I tell my kids to get "my knife", they know exactly which one to grab.
    Today's a day for being thankful, spending time with family, watching football, and eating too much good food. Hope it's a good one for all of you.
    [​IMG]

TFBraden, Duckdog, Jolipapa and 22 others like this.
  11. Half/Stop

Half/Stop Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 25, 2014
    To my Porch friends in the United States I wish you a Happy Thanksgiving! To all my Porch friends around the world, I wish you a blessed day! I’m blessed to be spending the holiday with my family! I only have a few knives with me today and I’ve chosen this one for the pocket on Thanksgiving! :)

[​IMG]

12. joeradza

joeradza Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 6, 2014
    Thank you Robbie. Have a great one!

Beard&Owl likes this.
  13. black mamba

black mamba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    A blessed Thanksgiving Holiday to all!

[​IMG]

TFBraden, Duckdog, Jolipapa and 26 others like this.
  14. Peregrin

Peregrin Traditional Forum Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Sep 2, 2004
    Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Hope your day is filled with fun, family, friends and good food! We have a lot to be thankful for.
    I just filled the bird feeders and threw a scoopful of seed on the ground for the wild turkeys. I feed them and today, one of their domesticated relatives, many times removed, feeds my family. Seems fair to me!
    [​IMG]

TFBraden, Duckdog, Jolipapa and 29 others like this.
  15. 315

315 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2017
    Happy Thanksgiving everyone. For those abroad in other countries, happy Thursday:D
    Just looked down and realized this Remington could possibly be useful today.

[​IMG]

peanutsxx, Duckdog, Pt-Luso and 21 others like this.
  16. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    LOL! Yes, I guess a turkey is more appropriate :D Thank you very much for your kind words JJ :)

Two beauties there, I love that Rope Knife :cool: :thumbsup:

Many thanks Gary :) :thumbsup:

That's nice John :) :thumbsup:

Thanks Ron, great-looking stag :thumbsup:

Nice Thanksgiving choices Gary :) :thumbsup:

Hope everyone is having a wonderful day :) :thumbsup:

17. joeradza

joeradza Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 6, 2014
    Too much food not enough knives. IMG_1711-1024x871.JPG

18. SteveC

SteveC Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 13, 2017
    Happy Thanksgiving everyone !

[​IMG]

19. Bigburly912

Bigburly912

Nov 14, 2018
    I’ll be carrying one of these old case knives today. Boy if these guys could talk! Happy thanksgiving to you and yours!
    [​IMG]

Duckdog, Old Hunter, sunknife and 5 others like this.
  20. Chief

Chief Chief Master Sergeant USAF (ret) 1975-2000 Platinum Member

Nov 15, 1998
    Happy Thanksgiving to all!

PSA ~ cook fowl / pork to a minimum of 160 degrees for it to be safe to eat. Turkey was 15 lbs and cooked faster than I thought. Gotta be careful, don't want dry breasts! The boston butt weighed about half as much but took twice as long to get to tender temp of 194. Injected with apple juice it is something to be thankful for! Used GEC SS kitchen knife during prep, cooked in Cookshack PG500 pellet smoker.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

peanutsxx, Duckdog, ISKRA and 19 others like this.