What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

49994089393_c9ef847743_c_d.jpg
Ah, I always enjoy seeing one of your 48s! Might be my favorite GEC that I don’t have. Probably because it’s so similar to my favorite Schrades~ the 293,294,94, and 194 trappers:D
Gorgeous. Classic pattern!
That knife is much too nice for a funeral pyre!

Went with a single blade and a whittler again today. Queen 4L in bloodwood and Boker in jigged bone. I got a chance to use the whittler to carve out some string nocks in a osage bow I'm making. The German steel was up to the task against that dense wood.
A man after my own heart. Knives are one of my favorite wood working tools, despite the fact there are plenty of tools that can do similar things perhaps more accurately. I’ve turned Osage before and it’s pretty tough on edges. Very impressive!

Staying home today, working at my desk (waiting on my eyes to "normalize" after having a cataract removed yesterday). Think I will join the bareheaded jackknife crowd today with this L.F.&C. OH
LF-C-Barehead-Jackknife.jpg
That L.F.&C. looks great, Bruce! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: Hope your new artificial lens works out well and fast for you; do you need to get the other one done soon?

A classic canoe, and I like the book it's sitting on. ;):thumbsup:
That's a cutie. :cool::thumbsup:
Thanks, John, those are a couple of my favorite Case knives. :)

Vintage Case Texas Jack
Your Texas Jack is almost perfect, John (except I'm not a fan of square bolsters)! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I’m carrying two today that rarely see pocket time! Both are fine knives in their own right. I’ve got a Thrifty Thursday Frost Whittler from the early years made in Japan. I’ve also got a Rosewood Lambsfoot SFO that was made in Sheffield for a UK dealer. I’m about 99.99% sure the Lambsfoot was made by Wright’s. Y’all stay safe out there! :) :thumbsup:
Intriguing pair, Ron! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Looks like maybe the book title Yoda wrote.
:D If the title were intended as a complete sentence informing us of something we're in need of, I think you'd be right, Vince. But I think it's actually intended to be a sentence fragment describing the type of arithmetic in the book; not all of arithmetic is in there, only arithmetic that's necessary. A book titled Arithmetic probably has delusions of grandeur and promises more than it can deliver, but Arithmetic We Need seems a more modest, and accurate, title. ;)

Great-looking German canoe! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Good looking knives, Gary; I especially like the Case redbone Canoe.

Another good group, Gary. :thumbsup::thumbsup:
Thanks, Dean. :) You're obviously a Case guy! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

I carried this Case Bonestag wharncliffe teardrop on my hike today.

View attachment 1416210
That bonestag 2-blade teardrop is a winner, Dean! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Classy-looking Congress Gary, along with one of my favourite RR patterns, and a very nice Whittler :) Terrific trio :thumbsup:
Hope everyone is having a good day. I've been carrying my Hartshead Barlow, and an all-stainless TEW Penknife :thumbsup:
Thanks for the good words, Jack, and for inspiring me to get that Silver Select sowbelly. :)
Admirable pair you've posted!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Terrific trio with impressive variety, José! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Magnificent muskrat!! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup: Chestnut jigged bone model?

Thanks Ron! Went on an adventure with the fearless four and their beautiful mama today. Great hike to a waterfall swimming hole. These are the kind of days that make you happy to be a dad. And the pioneer did an excellent job cutting up apples for lunch.
Fantastic photos of what sounds like an idyllic day, Jon!! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

I tossed the seven yr old in there first to make sure it was safe for me to get in. Turns out, all good. ;)
:D:thumbsup::D

I ended up with this. If you're going with two blades, why not three?
jkTsLUP.jpg
Why not, indeed? And if you're going with one shield, why not two? Excess has its charms! :rolleyes:

Today in my pocket walks this Victorinox Alox Pioneer Old Cross.;):thumbsup:
Pristine old Pioneer, José! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

Carrying a large ebony Lambsfoot SFO today, along with an Old Friend, which once started off as another Lambsfoot, by Abram Brooksbank :thumbsup:

mrafaED.jpg

y3LHXJX.jpg
Your stag HHB looks divine (but NOT ebony), Jack! ;):cool::cool: And that golden Brooksbank is grand! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Finishing up this little cedar ball in cage at lunch today. Bringing the tool I’ve been using to do it. Have a great Friday everyone.
u79NEYX.jpg
Wish I could whittle that well!! :eek:;):thumbsup::cool:

Here are 4 knives I always carry, regardless of what my rotation schedule assigns me. These are my literal EDC.
2019.8.EDC.open.jpg

- GT

This is a working sunday, so nothing fancy. Just a nr 8 garden Opinel I came across in a knife shop. I have looked this model for a long time, it is a bit different from other Opinels. I did what I allways do to these (sand little off the sides of the handle, burn, rub, oil and wax, pack the pivot with grease and melt it with hair dryer working the blade back and forth). Can you tell me what makes it garden knife? To me it is just a lovely allround knife.

Q6I1HNS.jpg
Shape of the handle, and a spear point vs. a drop point blade.

Here are 4 knives I always carry, regardless of what my rotation schedule assigns me. These are my literal EDC.
View attachment 1418555

- GT

Thanks GT! I’d bet if I did what I was supposed to do more often I wouldn’t be as good at whittling :D:p.

I can’t tell you how much I appreciate that Rough Ryder you have pictured what has Euler’s identity on it. Math and knives (and beer and cars) are some of my favorite things.:thumbsup:

2015 Yankee Jack for a football and pizza sunday, walked the dogs and napped so all is right in the world for today anyway;):)
NDt2Ej.jpg

Paired the Yankee Jack with what I assume (very little info out there) is an off shore locking pruner with 8cr13mov steel. The f&f on this knife is absolutely amazing:)
3zckbE.jpg

HfCOCL.jpg

Then added my contribution to my wife's holiday decorations flanking the front entry.
KaQI6h.jpg

Fantastic photos of what sounds like an idyllic day, Jon!! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

:D:thumbsup::D

Why not, indeed? And if you're going with one shield, why not two? Excess has its charms! :rolleyes:

Pristine old Pioneer, José! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

Your stag HHB looks divine (but NOT ebony), Jack! ;):cool::cool: And that golden Brooksbank is grand! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

View attachment 1418555

- GT

Thanks GT! It certainly was.

A man after my own heart. Knives are one of my favorite wood working tools, despite the fact there are plenty of tools that can do similar things perhaps more accurately. I’ve turned Osage before and it’s pretty tough on edges. Very impressive!
Thanks for the comment, Dan. The little Boker seems to keep a keen edge for sure.
BTW; Love your tag line quote, Ron Swanson is a man I have deep respect for.:D

Z7yZMsb.jpg

My pockets for today, SAK in a sheath on the belt, Modified Opinel 8 in my left, and my TC forum knife in the right. Thanks again Rachel! I used that #15 (and only the #15) to carve the heart key below for my wife. Made out of a scrap of poplar I had laying around. <Just> in time for midnight!
GXCVR3I.jpg
edit: “just”, not “hunt”.

Last edited:
Thanks for the good words, Jack, and for inspiring me to get that Silver Select sowbelly. :)
Admirable pair you've posted!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

View attachment 1418555

- GT

Thank you kindly Gary :) I'd like to tell you that's the FIRST sign of dementia :rolleyes: I'm not sure what happened there! :eek: I MEANT to carry the big ebony, but that Hartshead Barlow just keeps jumping in my pocket! ;) It did the same today, when I actually meant to carry my Charlie Lamb! :eek: Maybe I should hide it in the sock-drawer for a while :rolleyes: I always enjoy seeing your Eternals my friend :) :thumbsup:

Wishing everyone a safe and happy week :thumbsup:

7yHpjvE.jpg

Back