What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Mesquite and Macadamia

xwLvTxR.jpg

It looks like your knives took a trip to Hawaii. All you need is one in koa and you would have a nice trifecta.

Wooden Wednesday carry, Oregon Trapper and Boker Club knife. The Boker, with ironwood scales, arrived in yesterdays mail. Cost quite a bit more than I should spend on a single blade folder but I'm extremely pleased with the knife. Perfect pulls and snap, centered blade, excellent F&F, slim and very pocket friendly. Feels very solidly built too. :thumbsup:
Boker club & Oregon trapper 2 - 1.jpeg

These two:
iJkD0kd.jpg

After nearly three years of experimenting, and going from 8 knives to 50, these are the two I carry every day. They stay on my nightstand every night, and one of them goes in my pocket in the morning. Usually it's the Laguiole, if I'm going to work, church, restaurant, etc. I drop the Opinel in my pocket in the evening after my shower, and often on weekends. I can't store either one away. I suppose I am partial to large clip blades and wooden handles.

An interesting coincidence is that both knives have a Christian symbol on them. The Laguiole has a "shepherd's cross":
tjv4MHo.jpg

And the Opinel has a Catholic blessing hand:
OuNxhyb.jpg

(I need to clean the blade!) The website says it is the hand of St. John the Baptist taken from a coat of arms from a town near where the Opinel family came from.
I still love other patterns, and carry them occasionally, but these are my go-to knives. So comfortable in the hand, and such great slicers.

By the way, Happy New Year, everyone!

Thank you, Paul. Looks like you have some black ebony on that TC; were those Gabon Ebony? :thumbsup::thumbsup:
Dean, now that you asked, I don't think they are? I check the website and it simply lists the covers as ebony, not Gabon ebony, although many TC's are Gabon:oops::) regardless, they are dark:thumbsup:

I'm so far behind! This was actually my "Metal Monday", but it's carried on for a few days now. I'm suddenly digging all of these big, heavy knives! :eek::D

PXL-20201228-145132447-PORTRAIT-01-COVER-2.jpg
Shawn, all very nice knives. I have the same Kabar and it's a great knife. I keep mine on my workbench and it sees quite bit of use:thumbsup:

Back