What's going on in your shop? Show us whats going on, and talk a bit about your work!

I finished my third knife last weekend. I know there's a lot of guys that aren't fans of the "mother of toilet seat" acrylic swirls but when I saw this color I knew it would be perfect for my son.

1080 steel and toxic green kirinite with mild steel pins. It's amazing what a guy can do with a 1x30 Hazard Fraught belt grinder, hand tools, and sandpaper.

Va5FwJK.jpg

This image is a bit more "honest" about my skills. I dinged the ricasso and slid off the whetstone a half dozen times. Patience, patience, patience....

KrPtTai.jpg
They call that color, Zombie Green! I’m sure your son will love it!————-////////I use that “Kirinite” Mother of Toilet Seat material on a few of my Culinary knives. It’s NSF rated so I use it when Chefs need a handle material they can use in the front of the house, for cooking right at the tables etc..

What’s the finish in these handles? Such shiny wondefulness!
1200-1500 depending on the handle material. Probably not necessary to take micarta up to those grits as I'm pretty sure the same level of polish is almost indistinguishable to say a 400 or 600 grit finish. Oh well.

Blessings,
Joshua

Making a batch of my first stainless (aeb-l) knives, some 6" fillet knives for friends.
0.065" stock from aldos. Just profiled and drilled, little bit of surface prep. will do bevels when back from heat treat. Was surprised how easily this stock can be bent by hand before heat treat.
1U7vFxM.jpg

1200-1500 depending on the handle material. Probably not necessary to take micarta up to those grits as I'm pretty sure the same level of polish is almost indistinguishable to say a 400 or 600 grit finish. Oh well.

Blessings,
Joshua

I don't think it's indistinguishable. Your micarta is always ultra clean, not just shiny.

Working in the cold. Fog, mist and then bright sun repeat. The Easy Up is for grinding blades without the bright light reflecting back off the blades burning your eyeballs, not for weather protection. Getting a batch of blades ready to go to ht.

ExFlX7n.jpg

Few days later it was raining. Working on the inside handle curves on this batch of 53. I do the tangs up to 600grit on the small wheel and then hand sand after that. I hate to do any grinding indoors but sometimes ya have to.

0eCNbVT.jpg

Here's half the sheaths drying inside the house. The other half are out in the shop getting sewn up.

Rie2iNq.jpg

Thanks OccamsBlade OccamsBlade . I pretty much work that way all the time. Kinda get in a flow. Got 105 blades back from heat treat on the bench. I'll break that up into two groups. Got another fifty odd cut out and ready to profile, drill holes, grind and send off to ht. Course there is all the leatherwork too. Have three pairs of chaps, one pair of chinks, an apron, several holsters, some repair work on a martingale, couple sheaths on my list to do...I might have to get up earlier. Afternoons I've got a new horse that needs a lot of work. Keeps me out of the bars.

profiled the above fillet knives with my new saw, A Bauer with a swag table, lenox blades. lordy, i'll never use an angle grinder again to cut out stock removal knives! can't believe I waited this long to get this setup.
QUFDek6.jpg

Wait till you get you hands on a plasma cutter :)

Working in the cold. Fog, mist and then bright sun repeat. The Easy Up is for grinding blades without the bright light reflecting back off the blades burning your eyeballs, not for weather protection. Getting a batch of blades ready to go to ht.

ExFlX7n.jpg

Few days later it was raining. Working on the inside handle curves on this batch of 53. I do the tangs up to 600grit on the small wheel and then hand sand after that. I hate to do any grinding indoors but sometimes ya have to.

0eCNbVT.jpg

Here's half the sheaths drying inside the house. The other half are out in the shop getting sewn up.

Rie2iNq.jpg

You heading to blade west with all those knives?

No sir. Half are shipping out this morning the other half will go on the website over the next day or two. JTknives JTknives

Back