1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 21 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Kizer Megatherium!

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Knives Megatherium, Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, May 25; winners will be drawn on Sunday @5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

What's going on in your shop? Show us whats going on, and talk a bit about your work!

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by WillSwift, Oct 8, 2013.

1. AVigil

AVigil Adam Vigil knifemaker working the grind Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Platinum Member

Feb 17, 2009
    todays work

contour bolsters
    [​IMG]

getting the red jigged bone to fit
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 12, 2019
  2. E.Carlson

E.Carlson KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 28, 2016
    Love this "westingfaux" paper micarta from g.l. Hansen and sons. Really nailed the antique look. Plus I don't have to take the time to glue up liners!
    20190508_203025-1512x1512.jpg 20190508_203120-1512x1512.jpg 20190508_203151-1512x1512.jpg

3. Matt Rochester

Matt Rochester

Nov 28, 2014
    Just finished up this 6” Santoku. Cpm154 at 61RC with canvas micarta and g10 liners [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. john april

john april KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 27, 2006
    nice stuff carl and matt !

5. luciusx5

luciusx5

Nov 15, 2006
    Finishing up on this one. Just need to sharpen. 1084, Black C-Tek Toxic Green liners and black pins.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Maelstrom78

Maelstrom78

Sep 21, 2013
    Used a block from my first stabilized batch from the previous page. This is after 6 very thin coats of tru oil. I use very thin coats otherwise you can see "lines" in it from the application. It's slightly darker in person.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Still needs the maker's mark.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 14, 2019
  7. kmf600

kmf600

Jul 2, 2018
    I like the contrast with the black pins. Some people tell me, when I make a handle out of wood, it looks fake. I think it's a compliment, that I sanded and polished it so smooth. Your handle looks "fake," I really like it

Coy Ranch and Maelstrom78 like this.
  8. Maelstrom78

Maelstrom78

Sep 21, 2013
    This one I only took up to 800 grit. I was surprised how glossy it turned out as with the Tru Oil it will be more of a deeper satin the more coats I put on. When I say thin I mean I put some on with my finger and then take a small cloth and wipe off/ almost burnish the handle material so it's super thin. This does look almost like a highly polished resin. Must have been the excellent stabilizing job I did haha ;)

9. AVigil

AVigil Adam Vigil knifemaker working the grind Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Platinum Member

Feb 17, 2009
    Worked on thinning down some red jigged bone for the trapper

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. PEU

PEU Gaucho Knifemaker Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 6, 2006
    9" Chef Knife, Bohler K720 O2 carbon steel 2mm/0.08" corby bolts and lapacho wood, one of the knives at my Bladeshow table (14P) Come and say hi !!!

Pablo

[​IMG]

11. J.H.

J.H.

Feb 25, 2019
    Just made a really simple knife vise.. should have done this before my first knife. [​IMG]

Also finished this knife, boy does zebra wood stink

[​IMG]

12. AVigil

Feb 17, 2009
    sanding the red bone

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. GoldSkula

GoldSkula

Jun 14, 2018
    What kind of finish is that? Looks really good.

14. kmf600

kmf600

Jul 2, 2018
    [​IMG]

The couple people I've shown this one to have liked it. I'm still not sure I'm ready to get destroyed about what a piece of crap it is, but it makes me happy the way it turned out. My first decent one I'm ok with posting a picture of here.

15. bike4fun919

bike4fun919

May 5, 2014
    Small 9" Bowie, elk antler, Damascus pommel and bolster, 1075 steel.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Nsewell, Coy Ranch, seanj and 2 others like this.
  16. Hengelo_77

Hengelo_77 Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 2, 2006
    This little three finger sheepsfoot is getting close to being finished.
    I love the looks of a black liner and dovetailed black bolster myself. And micro meshed mammoth ivory is smooth and shiny like glass!
    I'll be working with more of that.
    2" cutting edge, rounded drop egde and a bronce lanyard loop.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. bike4fun919

bike4fun919

May 5, 2014
    Very nice!

18. Hengelo_77

Hengelo_77 Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 2, 2006
    Thnx Bike!

Forgot this pic. I like how the lines work together

[​IMG]

mknife, Coy Ranch, allenkey and 4 others like this.
  19. PEU

PEU Gaucho Knifemaker Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 6, 2006
    Its just water and time, you can call it controlled rusting...

Pablo

Coy Ranch likes this.
  20. scott kozub

scott kozub Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Whack of heat treating done

2019-05-19_06.39.34.jpg

Maelstrom78, Coy Ranch and john april like this.