What's going on in your shop? Show us whats going on, and talk a bit about your work!

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by WillSwift, Oct 8, 2013.

1. luciusx5

luciusx5

Nov 15, 2006
    Posted these two knives that I found in my "reject drawer" awhile back. Decided that I could save them.

[​IMG]

Turned them into these.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Storm W, seanj, Bow Commander and 6 others like this.
  2. DustinY

DustinY KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 29, 2016

The font for your makers mark is GORGEOUS, wow. Love that clip point.

3. FredyCro

FredyCro

Jan 11, 2019
    Workshop this weekend was frustrating. Hand finishing the blade and trying out the bandsaw went good at first. But then I destroyed a perfectly good bandsaw blade, ruined a wa handle by trying to free grind it and dropped the blade to floor tip down. Etching in vinegar went bad, I guess the brake cleaner left some residue. 1 step forward, 2 steps backward, but I will figure this out.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Scaniaman and Jason Volkert like this.
  4. DARblades

DARblades

Mar 6, 2019

5. luciusx5

luciusx5

Nov 15, 2006
    Thanks!! Took a lot of time for me to make up my mind on a maker's mark but I like it too.

6. luciusx5

luciusx5

Nov 15, 2006
    A couple of recent knives. 1084. Tan Burlap and turquoise micarta. Black pins and liners. Dovetailed bolsters.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mesquite and Juma. Nickel silver pins and white liners.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Cushing H.

Cushing H. Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 3, 2019
    New belt storage - been planning this for something like 2 months, then got a chance to borrow an impact drill. room to separate by grit size, AND to separate ceramic from AO (and to isolate a single "sharpening" belt. Much better than draping belts over the band saw. ON the right you can also see my wood supply. This is a little walkway in my basement leading to the water meter/shutoff. Small space, but I am trying to do with it what I can :) . Maybe now I can develop a system to rotate belts (new, worn but useable, trash)....
    upload_2019-10-29_18-13-24.png

8. DeadboxHero

DeadboxHero Triple B Handmade, Custom Knives Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 22, 2014
    125um Diamond film belt on rex 121 at 70.5rc cleaning up 60grit ceramic scratches.

[​IMG]

Hand sanding Rex121

[​IMG]

Rex 121 and Vancron Superclean ready for etch.

[​IMG]

seanj, Natlek, bluntcut and 2 others like this.
  9. Stang Bladeworks

Stang Bladeworks

Feb 19, 2018
    2 framelocks in the works right now.
    20191027_144845.jpg

Natlek, DeadboxHero and Jason Volkert like this.
  10. Scaniaman

Scaniaman

Jun 15, 2012
    This blade was intended as a tester, it was my first attempt at heat treating AEB-L on my own. Aust temp 1065 C for 15 min, plate + pressurized air quench, -30 C over night and temper at 175 C for 2 hours. Everything turned out great, so it got promoted to small user wit textured G-10 and (hardly visible) yellow G10 liners. Nothing fancy, but pretty functional. It will get kydex pants.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Coy Ranch, Natlek, DCamargo and 3 others like this.
  11. Jason Volkert

Jason Volkert

Nov 25, 2018
    @Scaniaman I like that little knife! Nice and clean work too!

DCamargo and Scaniaman like this.
  12. Natlek

Natlek

Jun 9, 2015
    Beuatiful knives , I like them .You should round little all that sharp edge and corners on ricasso ......

13. DanF

DanF KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 17, 2017
    PhotoPictureResizer_191030_233043331_crop_2612x1468-1044x587.jpg PhotoPictureResizer_191030_203353445_crop_2612x1468-1044x587.jpg
    Finished the second leather saya

Jason Volkert likes this.
  14. ten-six

ten-six

Mar 11, 2017
    Red oak, phosphor bronze, and some scraps.

I can't be the only one on here that works with carbohydrate based material from time to time...

[​IMG]

15. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    Man, I haven't made a cigar box banjo in a long time (probably around 50 years). I may have to grab an empty box and make one from a piece of nice wood and a cool box. Maybe a cigar box ukulele, too.

Storm W likes this.
  16. Daniel Carraher

Daniel Carraher KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 30, 2018

85% done with this.

Hengelo_77 and Jason Volkert like this.
  17. ashwinearl

ashwinearl KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 9, 2006
    8670 with Orange G10 Bushcraft
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. DustinY

DustinY KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 29, 2016
    Sticky's are rad (helped remind me how to insert pictures), got another tool today and couldn't wait to test it. I get packages all week and then return home after the work week and get to play. Trying to call it a night early so i can have a good Saturday of work. Personalizer plus - stencils & design from IMG. Let me know what you think, i TOOK THE BULLET and decided to leave the Y with the extra pizzazz and avoided changing it to a more "simple" Y, can always ask for a revision, but i enjoy the extra pizzazz.

[​IMG]

Jason Volkert, Hengelo_77 and seanj like this.
  19. DevinT

DevinT KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 29, 2010
    I would go with the simple Y.
    Hoss

FredyCro, DustinY and Jason Volkert like this.
  20. DustinY

Dec 29, 2016
    Hoss has spoken, lol.