What's going on in your shop? Show us whats going on, and talk a bit about your work!

#2 and 3 of the 3 pc order. Utility and Chefs knife

PMSNqvJ.jpg

dtIVmmw.jpg

Last edited:
Beautiful, WValtakis!
I've always wondered how is the background blackened?
I have found most engravers use a thinned mixture of Rustoleum flat black, so that's what I use too most of the time (and on these stainless bolsters) but if the material is able to be darkened like carbon steel or titanium sometimes I go that way instead.

This one would be for my fishing budy .....We have endless discussion/argue around fire which lure catch more .....rattling one or mute one .He use only lure with rattling balls inside .His only argument is that he has better PB fish then me :mad: But I catch much more fish with my mute lure :D
Now..................On next fishing trip while at night we seat around fire in camp I will do this ...I will show him one new lure / mute one / and claim to be rattling one .I will shake it with one hand .........BUT with other hand/behind me / I will shake his new knife / he don t know yet that I make one for him/ and rattling sound it would be heard ... but sound will come from knife handle :p Of course he will ask to see my new lure ....................imagine when he take it in hand ..shake it and no rattling sound :p Give to me back you don t know how to shake it .....stupid :D I will do that several times with him , he deserve ....prank of the century :rolleyes:
So here it is ........... rattling knife :D Hollow , 5mm M2 ,walnut and micarta and of course two 52100 balls :)
mI6lsJE.jpg

zkKAv1d.jpg

XhcF0YL.jpg

Drdi7EJ.jpg

68wbVr8.jpg

NE7Bu5V.jpg

TDvaQW5.jpg

IinVQXs.jpg

Last edited:
That's pretty funny.

It would drive me nuts to have a rattling handle but I appreciate the story behind it and will be a talking point for years.

This one would be for my fishing budy .....We have endless discussion/argue around fire which lure catch more .....rattling one or mute one .He use only lure with rattling balls inside .His only argument is that he has better PB fish then me :mad: But I catch much more fish with my mute lure :D
Now..................On next fishing trip while at night we seat around fire in camp I will do this ...I will show him one new lure / mute one / and claim to be rattling one .I will shake it with one hand .........BUT with other hand/behind me / I will shake his new knife / he don t know yet that I make one for him/ and rattling sound it would be heard ... but sound will come from knife handle :p Of course he will ask to see my new lure ....................imagine when he take it in hand ..shake it and no rattling sound :p Give to me back you don t know how to shake it .....stupid :D I will do that several times with him , he deserve ....prank of the century :rolleyes:
So here it is ........... rattling knife :D Hollow , 5mm M2 ,walnut and micarta and of course two 52100 balls :)
mI6lsJE.jpg

zkKAv1d.jpg

XhcF0YL.jpg

Drdi7EJ.jpg

68wbVr8.jpg

NE7Bu5V.jpg

TDvaQW5.jpg

IinVQXs.jpg

ould be for my fishing budy .....We have endless discussion/argue around fire which lure catch more .....rattling one or mute one .He use only
So that’s how you do your hidden half tang? I have a smallish piece of steel left over I have been trying to figure out how to use ... and this approach will work well for a paring knife or small utility. Thanks.

looks like that second pin is for looks only?

I really needed to up the ante on my dust collection ... so after getting a general air cleaner (different thread), I am trying to reduce the dust that escapes from the back and top of the belt. I dont have enough room room to create a dedicated grinding space, so I placed plastic on either side of the grinder table:
upload_2020-5-25_14-11-35.png

that white tube in the back is PVC that ultimately runs to the vacuum/dust deputy that also pulls dust out of my band saw...
upload_2020-5-25_14-12-55.png

upload_2020-5-25_14-13-18.png
Not the best arrangement .... but hopefully will eliminate the dust exiting from the sides of the table, and will suck up a fair amount of the dust floating in the air around the grinder.... (I might try to find a way to hang some kind of a barrier part way down the front of the thing. Will need to be fire resistant though because of sparks flying out that direction.... Hmmm .... that does not have me wondering about that sheet plastic so close to the belt side of the grinder.........

Just a little diversion .... for many years I have had several Forschner paring knives. Having been sharpened may times, they are not what they used to be in terms of shape - but I really have liked the feel of the things. So ... I set out to emulate the shape with a hand made blade. Below are the original forschner blade (black handle), the the "reproduction" just finished...
upload_2020-5-25_14-21-2.png

A2 steel at 62 rockwell, cocobolo handle with white spacer. the handle looks maybe a little shorter than I would have liked because I pulled the front of it back to fully expose the blade and give room for a pinch grip. It is already handle heavy though, so not sure if I would really want to extend it.....
upload_2020-5-25_14-23-39.png
upload_2020-5-25_14-24-0.png

surprisingly, even though this is one of the shortest blades I have made, I for some reason struggled with the full flat grind. Finally got it more or less to where I wanted it to be. I also discovered that with such a short drop from the handle to the edge, it was basically impossible to avoid a plunge. Not perfect, but not too bad I think (I intentionally kept it soft).

Just a little diversion .... for many years I have had several Forschner paring knives. Having been sharpened may times, they are not what they used to be in terms of shape - but I really have liked the feel of the things. So ... I set out to emulate the shape with a hand made blade. Below are the original forschner blade (black handle), the the "reproduction" just finished...
View attachment 1347065

A2 steel at 62 rockwell, cocobolo handle with white spacer. the handle looks maybe a little shorter than I would have liked because I pulled the front of it back to fully expose the blade and give room for a pinch grip. It is already handle heavy though, so not sure if I would really want to extend it.....
View attachment 1347066
View attachment 1347067

surprisingly, even though this is one of the shortest blades I have made, I for some reason struggled with the full flat grind. Finally got it more or less to where I wanted it to be. I also discovered that with such a short drop from the handle to the edge, it was basically impossible to avoid a plunge. Not perfect, but not too bad I think (I intentionally kept it soft).

Really nice shape, also cleanest work from you that I've seen until now. For me it would have been nice if you hid the plunge or made the scale parallel to the plunge and put the pins closer to the middle (mind you, just visual/aesthetical remarks). Nice job! Hope you don't mind me commenting (even if I am newbie myself).

looks like that second pin is for looks only?

Second pin are there only to remaind me how stupid I m .............triple stupid :D This is third handle ........that pin should be hidden pin , but I make same mistake three times.On on side of handles i drill blind hole and on other .....right through..........:mad:
Plan was one pin then to make notch ? and wrap there carbon .That s why I move front pin that much back.....
it was supposed to look something like this if I do it right...without that second pin of course .
YBRtpqp.jpg

Really nice shape, also cleanest work from you that I've seen until now. For me it would have been nice if you hid the plunge or made the scale parallel to the plunge and put the pins closer to the middle (mind you, just visual/aesthetical remarks). Nice job! Hope you don't mind me commenting (even if I am newbie myself).
Thanks Fredy. No problem on the comments. It always seems to be a series of trade offs... I did not want the vertical front of the scale (because that is the one thing on the forschner that bugged me ... but then I could not hide the plunge. Grrr :). That central pin was also a pain: center it top to bottom and it is not in line with the other two ... put it on line with the other two. And it looked out of place height wise. Another grrr. (I went with centering height wise)

Thanks Fredy. No problem on the comments. It always seems to be a series of trade offs... I did not want the vertical front of the scale (because that is the one thing on the forschner that bugged me ... but then I could not hide the plunge. Grrr :). That central pin was also a pain: center it top to bottom and it is not in line with the other two ... put it on line with the other two. And it looked out of place height wise. Another grrr. (I went with centering height wise)

Well, with every blade we learn sth new. About pins, I thought putting the end pins nearer to the middle of the scale (further from but and bolster area).. I also fight with aligning the pins in the middle (vertically), i think the next one will try to put them in line of the middle of ricasso and not in center top to bottom, but I guess it depends on the handle shape.

So that’s how you do your hidden half tang? I have a smallish piece of steel left over I have been trying to figure out how to use ... and this approach will work well for a paring knife or small utility. Thanks.
You can make it even with shorter tang .......with three pins .Nothing new , it was done by many makers , specialy with expensive steel ......Something like this
y2CW3Zs.jpg

Back