What's going on in your shop? Show us whats going on, and talk a bit about your work!

I've been working my slipjoint game and deep digging on research/sourcing really nice vintage rag micarta. Here are my last three slipjoints, all variations on a Lanny's Clip design, as well as two REALLY old gears that under their nearly black surface have some insane patterning and colors. This stuff is hard to find!

Slippies:
JZurX2a.jpg

Vintage Rag Micarta Gears:
vJK2kcw.jpg

idfh7KW.jpg

I finished a project I started three years ago. A 1/3 scale Colt 1911 pistol made in sterling silver and gold. I oxidize the silver to look just like old gun metal. I handmade every part to scale. It racks, cocks, and the trigger fires. I made scale size ammo to load in the magazine and some spares. The magazine ejects with a press of the magazine release button. I didn't make the cartridges load from the magazine into the chamber, but there is one in the chamber. The slide lock works and the safety does, too. The only thing I didn't replicate was the thumb safety internal assembly. It was just too small and would wear out in the soft silver. The gun disassembles just like its big brother. The full size one in the photo is a high detail replica that I disassembled for measuring parts. I also used the blueprints for the original 1911 model I got online.
I have photos of the whole process that I will post in a separate thread
20201027_092547.jpg 20201005_141500.jpg mini 1911 130.jpg mini 1911 172.jpg

Last edited:
I finished a project I started three years ago. A 1/3 scale Colt 1911 pistol made in sterling silver and gold. I oxidize the silver to look just like old gun metal. I handmade every part to scale. It racks, cocks, and the trigger fires. I made scale size ammo to load in the magazine and some spares. The magazine ejects with a press of the magazine release button. I didn't make the cartridges load from the magazine into the chamber, but there is one in the chamber. The slide lock works and the safety does, too. The only thing I didn't replicate was the thumb safety internal assembly. It was just too small and would wear out in the soft silver. The gun disassembles just like its big brother. The full size one in the photo is a high detail replica that I disassembled for measuring parts. I also used the blueprints for the original 1911 model I got online.
I have photos of the whole process that I will post in a separate thread
View attachment 1444655 View attachment 1444656 View attachment 1444657 View attachment 1444658

Not a big gun person, but I can appreciate the work on that.,

Last edited by a moderator:
Stacy’s bringing a gun to a knife fight

A customer requested this 12 1/8" Gaucho. Very late in the process he told me he's in New Zealand. He's a relatively new member here with no feedback or purchases that I can see and this was initiated on FB. USPS simply has "knives" listed as prohibited items while NZ customs has a list of several prohibited types. Does anyone know if this is OK and safe to send there? I'd be taking all the risk. Thank you.
20-26 1.jpg 20-26 3.jpg 20-26 4.jpg

A customer requested this 12 1/8" Gaucho. Very late in the process he told me he's in New Zealand. He's a relatively new member here with no feedback or purchases that I can see and this was initiated on FB. USPS simply has "knives" listed as prohibited items while NZ customs has a list of several prohibited types. Does anyone know if this is OK and safe to send there? I'd be taking all the risk. Thank you.
View attachment 1445281 View attachment 1445282 View attachment 1445283
To my eye that it some of your nicest work. I sure hope it doesn't get lost to customs.

3D61BC0C-6E12-4B9B-A477-ABCCBFDF3A6C.jpeg
We put many hours into a knife and sometimes in the eleventh hour we have to chuck it. I discovered a fatal flaw in the piece of stag, a hairline crack not noticed prior to this point in the build.
All other components can be saved.

We put many hours into a knife and sometimes in the eleventh hour we have to chuck it. I discovered a fatal flaw in the piece of stag, a hairline crack not noticed prior to this point in the build.
All other components can be saved.

Dang, that's frustrating!

View attachment 1445281 View attachment 1445282 View attachment 1445283

Prohibited knives here are (AFAIK) any switch or assisted opening blades, and any daggers. Everything else should be fine.

List it as a kitchen knife to be safe, as our customs is pretty titchy. Should try import a firearms part! Near on impossible now

More shop setup in France
A larger workbench from the French version of Goodwill

got my heat treating setup ... just kidding. Propane torch for various things

and put together two knives, the handles finished here in France entirely from hand tools. Both forged blades I brought with me

qXqTabI.jpg

R2sPX4H.jpg

38revNp.jpg

kNAhMe4.jpg
hChHja6.jpg
NhNPIHN.jpg
0a4yfe9.jpg
fNBDg9H.jpg
gFUPrAp.jpg

Kitchen knife for my mom and one for a friend. First Hamon. Not sure why it is not horizontal along the edge. Pretty satisfied with both knives. I think this is the first time I have finished two in the same week.

More shop setup in France
A larger workbench from the French version of Goodwill

got my heat treating setup ... just kidding. Propane torch for various things

and put together two knives, the handles finished here in France entirely from hand tools. Both forged blades I brought with me

qXqTabI.jpg

R2sPX4H.jpg

38revNp.jpg
Your knives are always great to see. They are definitely what I am striving for. What grit stones do you use to sharpen? Thanks for posting. I hope you are enjoying your time in Europe. I have not been out of the U.S. since March and it is killing me.

Back