What's going on in your shop? Show us whats going on, and talk a bit about your work!

C CallumRD1 good on that tapered tang. I hate seeing a finely hand crafted knife with a straight slab tang.

got in this disc grinder. Bulgarian made I believe. Steel disc. Adjustable table. Excellent value. Thanks to S Scaniaman believe for the referral

At 7.75” disc, The disc is a bit small for me so I will probably glue on some larger diameter micarta plate to make a bigger disc diameter

and I met a local wood crafter and left with some local sourced woods

9OFagqd.jpg

3uAKK3q.jpg

tkYp7pU.jpg

Last edited:
Great project. I was very much into lightweight backpacking. To save even further weight, you could have shortened the ricasso and brought up the grind to a full hollow. And use carbon fibre pins. 🤓
It's just a preference of mine, but I love the elegance of a stainless steel or titanium pin on a natural wood handle. I could have saved another couple grams by switching to carbon fiber pins, or a gram switching to G10 pins, but that's an aesthetic compromise I'm not willing to make!

C CallumRD1 good on that tapered tang. I hate seeing a finely hand crafted knife with a straight slab tang.
I also dislike the aesthetic of a straight slab tang on a knife. Somehow the tapered tang just looks lighter, sleeker, and more elegant to me. I just finished building myself a surface grinder and this was my first proper knife made using it. The surface grinder makes it so fast and easy to taper the tang. I was able to get this one down to about 10 thou at the end of the handle with minimal effort in about 5 minutes. It will be even faster once I've gotten more practice.

HSC, can you get sandpaper in big enough sheaths to fit the larger diameter disk you want to make at reasonable prizes?
Standard sandpaper in Europe is A4 size or very close. It doesn't fit a 9" disk.

Good score on the woods

HSC, can you get sandpaper in big enough sheaths to fit the larger diameter disk you want to make at reasonable prizes?
Standard sandpaper in Europe is A4 size or very close. It doesn't fit a 9" disk.

Good score on the woods
I don’t use the sheets. I use psa backed 9” discs. I’m not a fan of cutting the 9x11 sheets and gluing them. I get the purpose and I’ve certainly done it. But to me it’s like bobbing for French fries.

got in this disc grinder. Bulgarian made I believe. Steel disc. Adjustable table. Excellent value. Thanks to S Scaniaman believe for the referral

At 7.75” disc, The disc is a bit small for me so I will probably glue on some larger diameter micarta plate to make a bigger disc diameter

and I met a local wood crafter and left with some local sourced woods

9OFagqd.jpg

3uAKK3q.jpg

tkYp7pU.jpg
Nice! Konstantin is good to deal with and that disc grinder is Definitely worth its price. Glad to see you settling in in Europe!

I don’t use the sheets. I use psa backed 9” discs. I’m not a fan of cutting the 9x11 sheets and gluing them. I get the purpose and I’ve certainly done it. But to me it’s like bobbing for French fries.
"Bobbing for French fries" is an expression I've never heard before 😁

What makes cutting the 9x11 sheets a pointless activity, in your opinion?

"Bobbing for French fries" is an expression I've never heard before 😁

What makes cutting the 9x11 sheets a pointless activity, in your opinion?
I didn't say it was pointless... I said I’m not a fan of it :)

I make my living making knives and so I like to be efficient and productive which is difficult enough as it is

the psa discs are more expensive yes, but the right tool for the job so to speak.

The sheet cutting and gluing is just not my preference

Last edited:
I didn't. say it was pointless... I said I’m not a fan of it :)

I make my living making knives and so I like to be efficient and productive which is difficult enough as it is

the psa discs are more expensive yes, but the right tool for the job so to speak.

The sheet cutting and gluing is just not my preference
Understandable.

I have to switch my drive wheel for the grinding disc when I need it, so I'm not the mark of efficiency in my little corner :)

On the subject of handle work, I just collected these little guys that should be better than the small traditional clamps I have been using (and sometimes misalign scales from their rotation). This is the 1.5" version. 600 lbs pressure 🥳
rfMWx2W.jpg

Just an FYI - high pressure clamping is NOT what you want when installing scales for two bug reasons:
1) It can easily make the scale warp.
2) I will squeeze out all the epoxy and leave a glue starved joint that t=you can pop off with a fingernail.

You only want the bare minimum pressure to hold them in place while the resin cures.
Those Kant-twist clamps are great, but only screw them down gently with two fingertips, preferably with your weaker hand.

if those french fries are floating in gravy, sign me up

First time grinding freehand. No jigs, no file guide, no bubble jig, just the blank on the belt at low speed.
What a difference variable speed makes!
Enough room for improvement, but I'm happy for a first attempt.
Just a fun project for myself. The blade is 4 5/8" and the false edge is unsharpened. With these specs it is legal to carry where I live (Germany).
The bevels are finished at 400 grit and the false edge at 1500 grit.

IMG-20210702-114800.jpg

IMG-20210702-121143.jpg

IMG-20210702-122128.jpg

IMG-20210702-154033.jpg

IMG-20210702-154631.jpg

IMG-20210702-161535.jpg

IMG-20210707-210610.jpg

IMG-20210707-210447.jpg

Just an FYI - high pressure clamping is NOT what you want when installing scales for two bug reasons:
1) It can easily make the scale warp.
2) I will squeeze out all the epoxy and leave a glue starved joint that t=you can pop off with a fingernail.

You only want the bare minimum pressure to hold them in place while the resin cures.
Those Kant-twist clamps are great, but only screw them down gently with two fingertips, preferably with your weaker hand.
I only thought the clamping pressure was a funny side note, I don't plan on using all of it ;)

But I do tend to clamp up pretty tight. And the bonds haven't failed in testing yet. I think it would be hard to squeeze out epoxy to the extent of bond failure to be honest.

Back