What's going on in your shop? Show us whats going on, and talk a bit about your work!

Had a productive weekend in the shop.

Finished the cleaver.
QlN3BbL.jpg

Did a petty from a hardened blank to a finished knife under 4 hours work with new handle material (vintage rag micarta).
iXuM4aU.jpg

Any tips for landing this bolster home? The holes are at 4.2mm and the pins are 4mm. The bolster is rough shaped. I thougth to ca glue the bolsters, shorten the pins to right size and countersink the holes slighty and peen the pins. Will this give a seamless transition after final grinding to shape? Also first antler scales ever, cut them from some horns i got from fleah market, they have a lot of pith but nice structure and good color.
OakngR0.jpg

And all projects in one pic.
fDLhpJ5.jpeg

A little prototype mockup of a keychain puukko idea I have. I’ve struggled with a retention idea that fits my practical & design criteria. This is my solution. You are looking at a cutaway of half of the knife. Knife & sheath are intended to butt up & mate seamlessly…..or as seamlessly as I can make it. Link to 13 sec video:

The flat spring will retain the blade by pushing against a gimping slot in the spine. I only have a tiny notch cut in the video, but I can already see I need to carefully plan the geometry of the retention gimp to ensure continuous tension pulling the knife into the scabbard to get the “seamless” look I want. Any ideas are appreciated!
My only concern would be dulling the edge with the spring actively pushing it into the sheath material?

My only concern would be dulling the edge with the spring actively pushing it into the sheath material?
Good catch... Bühlmann Bühlmann could inlay a piece of delrin or similar soft material along the edge side of the sheath to minimize dulling on contact... But that would change the seamless fit over time. Honestly I'd consider using springs along the flats of the blade, or maybe copper / brass rivets to add tension instead if the desire was for a mechanical detent. A possible downside to that would be you could see minor wear marks on the blade flats over time...

Otherwise, inlaid magnets somewhere along the spine would work nicely.

Here's a little knife and Hitachi Blue Sand my that I had made a while back but I was never really happy with I didn't like the way the phosphate finish came out I thought it would take better to the core steel. I decided to finish it up anyway and I've been using it all day out in the garden I'm starting to like it!1653950899114.jpg1653950026301.jpg

Not sure what your background is but for me the learning curve was steep. I did a few tutorials a day of whatever interested me on YouTube but ultimately I hired a engineering student as a tutor who I could ask questions to and collaborate on design solutions. I'd be happy to share his contact information with you if you would like. I still meet with him ad hoc to workout issues.

One of the biggest problems I faced was the inability to reference critical dimensions because they were created later in the timeline. Ultimately what I came up with for a solution was to capture all those key dimensions and relationships in the template first component. One drawing in that component addresses the pivot and stop and cutout for the stop pin. Another covers the detent pin, Another captures the end of the lock bar and how it relates to the cutout for it in the blade.

Besides that timeline/critical dimensions issue I also realized that it is critical to make sure I was constraining drawings properly so they worked well with the parametric functions in Fusion360. When you change the size of the bearing dimensions you want everything to adjust around that and optimize the space for the lock pin cutout etc.

I'm considering using my template to offer custom design services so I think I'll have to pass on giving it away for now. But if I can help you in someway - let me know.
I don't have any design experience background either, so it's been pretty steep for me too, but a fun new challenge! I don't have any specific questions (yet) because so far I've only used Fusion for fixed blades or welding projects, so I haven't actually attempted designing a folder yet. That makes sense about setting up the design with critical relationships early in the component timeline. I'm aware of the power of Fusion's parametric modeling, but haven't taken much advantage of it yet.

Thanks for taking the time to respond!

made some handle inserts out of a hockey puck for this khukuri I'm working on. It's experimental, although I haven't developed a way to truly test the result. The hypothetical result is that the low rebound rubber will help dissipate energy travelling through the handle into the hand
9SBnNNA.jpg

Back