What's going on in your shop? Show us whats going on, and talk a bit about your work!

Back from heat treat and time to finish. I ground a couple kitchen knives to refresh the feel of my grinder (hadn't touched it in a few weeks).
Came off the grinder at a pretty low grit, just happy to have no mistakes.
I'll trade a few hours of hand sanding for the chance of screwing it up.
Right now it's somewhere between 120 grit EDM stone and 120 grit Rhynowet...
GA2LpCf.jpg

Last edited:
Back from heat treat and time to finish. I ground a couple kitchen knives to refresh the feel of my grinder (hadn't touched it in a few weeks).
Came off the grinder at a pretty low git, just happy to have no mistakes.
GA2LpCf.jpg
I like that profile that really looks like a Bowie knife ought to look!

Came off the grinder at a pretty low git, just happy to have no mistakes.
GA2LpCf.jpg
Very nice! I'm planning one similar to this style blade but with a crown stag handle in the next batch of knives I make.

I keep kicking around the idea of doing something like this with a full tang fillet knife handle.
You mean the rounded and jimped tang peeking out of the edges of the handle? I think it feels really great in the hand, and it shows workmanship but the first time I did it was really because I needed to think of a way to circumvent having an unsatisfactory finish on the belly of the Tang. Nowadays I've vastly improved my ability to get a good finish on the belly of the Tang but I still like doing this style once in awhile!

Does anyone else get frustrated that things never come out quite as you pictured? View attachment 1856930
Sometimes but I often use it to either learn what went wrong or sometimes I find it improves my process. I also keep in mind I’m not perfect and I’m taking a bar of steel and some random handle materials and making a functional tool that will outlive me by hand and that’s pretty cool even if it doesn’t turn out the way I originally thought.

Short Kiritsuke Toonmascus...!
Or it should be Mijikai Kiritsuke?
Fresh out of the grinder (and fiber laser) this short kiritsuke in Sandvik 14c28n stainless steel. Edge length is 110mm/4.3"
Handle in stabilized maple burl and 3 corby bolts.
The Toonmascus pattern used I called it Dictator

Pablo

yjFrd3n.jpg

do7INrF.jpg

ESgmprp.jpg

View attachment 1857183
View attachment 1857184
View attachment 1857185
View attachment 1857186
Finished up this 8.25” kiritsuke with a red bush willow handle, picked up the handle material at bladeshow.
I like it but um. You got some massive decarb on the opposite side of your makers mark as someone else just mentioned and I advised not to do it because . not that? lol but uhm. It's something that people who know knives will be able to identify readily but um. How many freakin times you gotta rockwell test that? :D I see like 50 indents.
Short Kiritsuke Toonmascus...!
Or it should be Mijikai Kiritsuke?
Fresh out of the grinder (and fiber laser) this short kiritsuke in Sandvik 14c28n stainless steel. Edge length is 110mm/4.3"
Handle in stabilized maple burl and 3 corby bolts.
The Toonmascus pattern used I called it Dictator

Pablo

yjFrd3n.jpg

do7INrF.jpg

ESgmprp.jpg
That is Cool. But. Are the designs CNCd? They look it. How did you CNC it with what kind of end mill? I don't think I have to explain stress risers which, I see about 101k not so serious ones. Fiber laser. Please read up on how lasers melt steel brother. It's not smart. Neat looking? Sure.

Back