What's with all the Hinderer XM-18s for sale?

And I'll leave this here
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1328574-Hinderer-grinding

Pretty much everything is outsourced to other companies except the screws, slab scales, and ornaments unless you buy a custom. Blanks are cut in house, someone else grinds and heat treats them, and someone else does the coatings. Then they're apparently assembled in house and sharpened, maybe. Can't get an answer on that. And I'm not sure who does the laser engraving. So don't blame Rick Hinderer for the weak detents, blame the companies who do the actual work on the blades.

Truly, there is almost no difference between a Hinderer knife and a ZT except that ZT costs less and produces more, therefore more lemons slip through the cracks, which ZT does their best to make right.

Maybe people see that once they finally get one and decide it's not worth it? Just postulating. It's also quite possible that people get them in hand and don't like them for whatever reason and just sell them. Nothing wrong with it. Doesn't mean the knives are bad, just that they're not for everyone.

As an aside,
It would be nice if they gave credit to the people making the bulk of the knife like spyderco does.

Edit to remove who makes the frames. It's still unclear at this point.

Last edited:
If Hinderer is selling the knife, it means they've inspected it and approved it, warranties it, so yes they'll get "blamed", not someone else he hired.

And I'll leave this here
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1328574-Hinderer-grinding

Pretty much everything is outsourced to other companies except the screws, slab scales, and ornaments unless you buy a custom. Blanks are cut in house, someone else grinds and heat treats them, someone else makes the frames, and someone else does the coatings. Then they're apparently assembled in house and sharpened, maybe. Can't get an answer on that. And I'm not sure who does the laser engraving. So don't blame Rick Hinderer for the weak detents, blame the companies who do the actual work on the blades and frames.

Truly, there is almost no difference between a Hinderer knife and a ZT except that ZT costs less and produces more, therefore more lemons slip through the cracks, which ZT does their best to make right.

Maybe people see that once they finally get one and decide it's not worth it? Just postulating. It's also quite possible that people get them in hand and don't like them for whatever reason and just sell them. Nothing wrong with it. Doesn't mean the knives are bad, just that they're not for everyone.

As an aside,
It would be nice if they gave credit to the people making the bulk of the knife like spyderco does.

I do agree with this for sure. If asked, they really should disclose the place of manufacture. I was under the impression that everything but blade grind and HT were done in house.

All he knows is what's in the link, some blades have/are outsourced to increase production. He's been on a one man crusade for months now to try to discredit Hinderer.

So don't blame Rick Hinderer for the weak detents, blame the companies who do the actual work on the blades and frames.

There isn't anybody to blame. XMs are designed to have weak detents. Folks just don't seem to want to get that fact. And no matter how many times I post Rob Orlando's statements to that effect, people simply won't believe me . . . or him. :rolleyes:

Never underestimate the power of denial!

Last edited:
All he knows is what's in the link, some blades have/are outsourced to increase production. He's been on a one man crusade for months now to try to discredit Hinderer.

I'm sorry, I don't see how I posted anything untrue or in a confrontational manner. It is what it is. People either like the knife or they don't. As long as people say the truth there should be no problem. That link contains information from Hammer who was a mod of the Hinderer subforum when it was still active. I did not speculate about anything other than why people sold them and that's all the OP asked for since no one can definitely say why anyone else sold their knife. And it's been made clear several times by several mods to discuss the topic, not each other. I posted information relevant to the question at hand. It's not anything about a crusade. If anything you've been on a crusade to get people to buy them. There's nothing wrong with liking them or disliking them. They seem to be doing fine with their sales and I say good for them as long as people know what is actually going on.

Most people thought that pretty much everything was done in house. That's not the case. There's no lie there. It is what it is. It doesn't matter if anyone likes the truth or dislikes it. The truth is the truth. That's all.

Edit to add:
I just went back and re-read that post, the frames may be done in house. That question wasn't answered in that thread.

Last edited:
There isn't anybody to blame. XMs are designed to have weak detents. Folks just don't seem to want to get that fact. And no matter how many times I post Rob Orlando's statements to that effect, people simply won't believe me . . . or him. :rolleyes:

Never underestimate the power of denial!

True.

A couple of your posts about Hinderers were even moved to the dumbass thread in whine and cheese. If there's no agenda why was that?

Not getting in the discussion above, but I will say I could care less if Hinderer uses some third parties, as long as they are US companies, and they meet Rick's specs. As an aside, I just picked up a new XM 3.5 spear. Having never owned a actual Hinderer, besides being slightly dull, it flips great for a non bearing knife. It definitely feels beefier and much less fragile than my ZT 0562. Also a plug for usamadeblade.com, I went in person, and the staff let me inspect 6-7 xm's.

It would be hilarious were it not for the possibility that people's incessant whining about the XM's weak detent may have been part of what led the Hinderer crew to fold up their tents.

A couple of your posts about Hinderers were even moved to the dumbass thread in whine and cheese. If there's no agenda why was that?

Ignored. I'd like to respond but mods have made it clear such conversations are not welcome.

Hinderer's knives are good for people who like them and bad for people who don't. They get sold simply because the person who owns them no longer wants them. Each person is different about why they want to keep or sell something. Maybe a bunch of people were hit with unforeseen economic hardships at the same time and sold knives they really like. I don't know. No one can say for sure unless the people selling them state their personal reasons. And if those reasons are because the knife didn't meet their expectations then others need to accept that without trying to belittle them or derail threads with unnecessary or defensive posts laced with hostility. OP asked why people sold their RH knives. If someone never sold one I don't see why they're butting in trying to slam people who have.

True. And it's always a good idea to set reasonable expectations based on manufacturer statements about the way a product should perform BEFORE you buy it.

You've been hollering about any and everything you could ever since you sliced your finger on a Hinderer and they told you too bad, their detents are just as they want them. That's just the truth and anyone that's read these threads can see it.

They were phrased in a less than acceptable manner, and were set up to fuel an argument.
As far as DLC coatings, I don't know any knifemaker that does their own coating in house. In fact, many manufacturers send the blades to companies that specialize in that process. That is nothing new to any maker, unless they happen to own the company that does the coatings too. Most knives in the price range are also CNC'd, again to folks that hang around and read here that is also nothing new. I think the term outsourced doesn't mean what some people may think it means. Rick & Rob were not hiding anything from anyone from what I've read over the years. Seems that some folks are discovering something long standing and feel that they have Arnold Horshack moment, "OooH! Ooooh! OoooH!"
[video=youtube;-cDAqrywsHE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cDAqrywsHE[/video]

True. And it's always helpful to set reasonable expectations based on manufacturer statements about the way a product should perform BEFORE you buy it.

That's also true. Sometimes it's hard to have those reasonable expectations when people so adamantly hype a product.

Look. I'm not saying that Hinderer shouldn't accept part of the blame for not screaming loud enough that XM's were NOT designed for civilian use. But people will read into things what they want to read into them, not what they actually say. And to the extent they do that, they and they alone . . . not the manufacturer . . . are responsible for the outcomes.

When all else fails, read the manual.

I stuck my finger on one of those Buck/Strider collaborations too, that was tip up in my pocket. The detent was light and the blade jarred loose from just walking, but I didn't even tell Buck about it. Figured it was, a lesson well learned.

Back