Whelp. Time to order some more steel. So what's next?

Okay I was moving stuff around my safe..... grabbed the WWII trench knife my neighbor gave me....

Nathan the Machinist Nathan the Machinist .... this is a dumb idea and probably illegal in most states but.........

CPK trench knife!!!!!!

Something like a shiv or dagger with knuckle dusters

Ridiculous I know..... but it looks glorious in my mind lol

Okay I was moving stuff around my safe..... grabbed the WWII trench knife my neighbor gave me....

Nathan the Machinist Nathan the Machinist .... this is a dumb idea and probably illegal in most states but.........

CPK trench knife!!!!!!

You forgot the cup holder, Yoko. You're slipping.

CPK trench knife!!!!!!

Yoko, this was (Trench knife) was actually on Nathan's White Board 3-4 years ago o_O

It was going to be a collabaration between Nathan, and Dan Keffeler. I cannot recall what happened to it

Tom

For some additional perspective on this drama, I’ll just add that there was a time when $200 Shivs sat on the Exchange for DAYS! Hahahah. Oh my. Things seem to have changed. 🙂
I think I can top that, I remember when skinners lasted for a week on 10. If you asked real nice Nathan would grind a thin one with the warning not to put too much side pressure on the D2 blade all for around $200🤫🤔

TBH, I have never seen a Nathan made Shiv, pre CPK moniker and before this sub to go for an even $200. Many years ago before this Site changed over servers when I had more zest and curiosity for knowledge regarding Nathan's wares, I hit up every single FS thread by Nathan and every Shiv back then ranged in the high 2's and low 3's depending on handle material and other blade options. Even if you subscribe to the common notion that everything has doubled in cost these days as compared to preceding years before Covid-19, that should put the current basic Shiv at least ~ 600 but then again the Shivs of circa 2012/2013 when Nathan was just a skinny young machinist were about $100 undervalued even for back then.

I don't think any hemming or hawing is called for, imo. If they weren't a good value for the money asked, the pre-order would have lasted minutes, instead of mere seconds.

Okay, it might have actually lasted a minute or two...but don't listen to me, I (accidentally) opened the thread before Nathan was ready, if I recall correctly. 🤣

When I really look at what gets used most by me -- put to use daily -- it's the folder I carry, and a Chef's knife in the kitchen, quotidian as that is.

So I'd love for the Carother's folder to arrive. (In the meantime, an update is most welcomed.)

And a Carother's classic-style Chef's knife. 8" blade; very thin and slicey; takes and holds the keenest of edges but is easy to touch up; and a handle informed by the unparalleled ergonomics of the UF2. Yep, I said it. I want my Carother's kitchen knife to double as a dinnertime defense tool because it's well-known that ninjas prefer to attack at meal prep. (I'm not kidding here...about the knife, anyway...just about the ninjas...mostly.)

And as much as I want to see many of the classic CPK patterns revisited -- as clearly many others here do -- I'd rather see something new that to me is missing from the line-up: a dedicated defense piece built for IWB carry. A scaled-down UF2 would be ideal. Blade a hair under 4"; handle about same. Scales thinned. The DEK is close but just a little too big to daily carry this way, and the EDC is just a touch small and ergonomically intended for different uses. The UF2 is near perfect in every way for this purpose. I'd hoped the CR35 might fill the niche but low numbers and higher costs seem to make it prohibitive. I'd love to see a dedicated CPK compact, daily carry utility fighter tailored for comfortable concealment.

Otherwise, I do have my eye on the upcoming chopper. And don't forget that fighting Hori Hori, for gardening and ghouls. ;)

If he is the customer who I think he is, yes he was an early adapter of your knives before the moniker CPK was even an official trademark on here. Further, again assuming that I am correct in guessing his identity, I don't think that he decided to move on because of the Shiv preorder being "late". For the record, he had stated his disgruntlement regarding the way that Fridays sales and flash sales were being managed. If your takeaway from this long time customer moving on from the brand is to discontinue preorders altogether, I hazard to say that there will be some more losses like him (just my 2Cs). Ultimately you are just too hard on yourself as sometimes people just move on for whatever reason, don't take such breakups so harshly :)

I was pretty much thinking the same thing here and couldn’t have said it better. I noticed it when he expressed his concerns last year and issues obtaining nowadays unfortunately (as well as another personal reason which I completely understand his point, when it seemed he felt he was treated disrespectfully, not by Nathan for the record), which he’s been feeling that way for some time it seems.

It’s a dog eat dog world out there on the Friday sales and even more so on the one off sales. I’ve been lucky to figure out how to get in on the top 20 a fair amount and have been able to Proxy for others successfully just as much as I have purchased so I could give back. It still blows me away how hard it can be, especially when it’s a one off, or only 5 or so available. I don’t stand a chance there.

At least with the pre-orders, it allows those who can’t get in on placing in the top number to win on Friday’s sales. Yeah the Pre-orders are great for customs, but it should be just as much, if not more so for those who can’t get in on time for the Friday sales/One off’s, or can’t obtain a proxy that is capable of it. Those of us who WANT JUST ONE, not a 3rd or a 4th, designed how they want, or buying them just to be able to flip them for huge profits.

Nathan the Machinist Nathan the Machinist , what if you were to offer much smaller qty’s in the Pre-orders? Maybe do more of them and not let someone who was in the previous get it on the next? Would it not be feasible to limit them to maybe 50-75, maybe 100 or so at a time? Does it have to be such large qty’s of like 200-300 or so? Would that makes things easier or less stressful for you guys? Maybe still plan for a year and come in much sooner?

Last edited:
I think I can top that, I remember when skinners lasted for a week on 10. If you asked real nice Nathan would grind a thin one with the warning not to put too much side pressure on the D2 blade all for around $200🤫🤔
I THINK (but my brain is unreliable), that when I first started buying Nathan's knives, the UF was around $250, and the Shiv was around $300. And yes, they weren't hard to get hold off.

Nathan the Machinist Nathan the Machinist , what if you were to offer much smaller qty’s in the Pre-orders? Maybe do more of them and not let someone who was in the previous get it on the next? Would it not be feasible to limit them to maybe 50-75, maybe 100 or so at a time? Does it have to be such large qty’s of like 200-300 or so? Would that makes things easier or less stressful for you guys? Maybe still plan for a year and come in much sooner?

Small pre-orders go as fast as the sales and you have the same problem. The answer is large pre-orders that everybody can get in on without there being a lot of stress.

When the pre-order can stay open the full week, anybody and everybody can get whatever they want. That is the goal.

Back