Who all uses traditional archery?

Did you see any bulls?

Yep - including one of the biggest I've ever laid eyes on, and he was only about 10 yards beyond my range. Unfortunately, I had almost no cover to close the distance, and he turned and walked the other way, back into the trees. Still, it was awesome being that close to such a massive bull.

Any bugling bulls at close range that make the hair on the back of your neck stand up?

Oh yeah. But it was a really weird rut this year, and it was the toughest I've experienced trying to call them out of thick cover. Usually I manage to call several bulls within longbow range, and this year I wasn't able to call a single one in. There was also a lot of wolf activity (including one that walked up right behind me while I was eating lunch one day) and that didn't make things any easier. My zone has a lot of thick cover, and if they aren't vocalizing, they can be really hard to find, much less get close to.

Still, it's always my favorite month of the year... :thumbup:

Looks like you had some snow too.:thumbup:

[video=youtube;2rGGxMaWuaQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rGGxMaWuaQ&list=WL81AB94F76FB8EB69[/video]

Wow!! I've been pretty darn close to big bulls, but that is insane!!

I thought that Bull was gonna flip his hat off! I think I woulda had to change my shorts after that one.:D
The cool part to me is that his partner got it on film!!:thumbup:

I've had that happen with a whitetail. Once. About 25 years ago. Difference being I made the shot, chest center. No video. No witness. But it is something to remember a lifetime. I've not done it since and doubt I ever will.

Lifelong recurve shooter here as well. I tried a friend's compound once but couldn't get the hang of it. It had sights, arrow rest, etc. I shoot instinctive like throwing a rock. Draw and release is all one motion so the letoff of a compound is disconcerting to me. I shoot old Bears and Pearsons off the shelf. Bare fingers, no arm guard, but I do use a nock point for consistancy. I learned to shoot in the sixties when Fred and Ben were the kahunas to look up to.

My father took a moose in the 60's with a bow. My wife plays with a youth compound, but I have never gotten into it. Although The flame of interest has flickered moderately now and then.

...Although The flame of interest has flickered moderately now and then.

Then I'd say you should give it a try. It's quite addictive, and something you can have fun with year 'round. Outside of hunting season, I still find it a fun way to ramble about in the woods, practicing shooting at a variety of things - stumps, leaves, whatever as I hike along.

Today's wonderful archery lesson:

Hitting aerial targets when it's 26deg. outside is not easy... :)

16kw.jpg

Well my bamboo backed hickory long bow (69") couldn't stand up to my long draw and is starting to get frets on both the top & bottom limb. I now I have on order a Howard Hill Tembo 70", African blackwood riser, 50lbs @ 28" (so around 58-59lbs at my draw of 30.5"). Will post pics when it arrives.

Well my bamboo backed hickory long bow (69") couldn't stand up to my long draw and is starting to get frets on both the top & bottom limb. I now I have on order a Howard Hill Tembo 70", African blackwood riser, 50lbs @ 28" (so around 58-59lbs at my draw of 30.5"). Will post pics when it arrives.

Looking forward to seeing that bow, Bruce. A blackwood riser sounds very cool. :thumbup:

Looking forward to seeing that bow, Bruce. A blackwood riser sounds very cool. :thumbup:

Now I'm gonna have to build a blackwood handled bowie to match!

Shouldn't be too long, they told me it was a 4-5 week wait time. That means I'll have it in time for some of the indoor 3-D shoots this winter:thumbup:

Hi guys, just found this thread recently and have been following. I finally ordered a 45lb Vista Sage takedown recurve bow from Cabela's. I haven't shot a bow for over 20 years but am dying to get back into it and figured this was a nice way(easy on the wallet) to start. Gonna shoot off the shelf with a glove. No deer hunting, maybe a ground hog or rabbit and target shooting.
Any advice on a good 3 fingered glove and where the best place to get to get some good arrows, feathered, probably aluminum??

Last edited:
I would suggest either wood arrows or carbons. I like carbon better than aluminum as they don't get bent out of shape like aluminum, they seem to stay straight until they break. I shoot with a tab, but you could check out 3 Rivers Archery for shooting gloves.

That's cool, I am totally out of the loop when it comes to carbon arrows. I would think carbon would be the way to go, just read some stuff about them shattering and what not....sort of scary. I'll just have to look into them more. Gotta figure out the right size too. I have a 30" draw. Wood arrows have my interest too!
I had a leather 3 finger glove that was great. I saw one of those Hot Shot brand gloves ......it has nylon strapping over the leather tips of the fingers where the string makes contact.....seems cool, but pricey! Probably just pick out a leather one at a local shop somewhere in person and find one that fits right and go from there.
I used to fletch my own arrows with my dad's Blitzenberger fletching jig.....gonna have to get that from him and get back to business!

Have to agree with Bruce about carbon. While they can be a little more costly than aluminum up front, I find them more durable, and therefore more economical in the long run.

I've never had a carbon shaft shatter on me (upon release). If a particular arrow takes a bad hit on a rock, etc. flex the shaft thoroughly afterward, and listen for any cracking/crunching sounds. Inspect for visible cracks. If you notice anything weird, retire it.

As far as gloves go, I have gone back and forth between a glove and a tab over the years, but I really like cordovan for either. It's very durable, and an extremely smooth release, especially as it gets broken in.

3Rivers is a great source for just about any trad gear you may need. Big Jims, Kustom King and Rocky Mtn. Specialty are also good sources, and I've had great customer service with all of them.

Most importantly, have fun! :thumbup:

Last edited:
Another vote for carbon arrows. Honestly, they're about the same price as aluminum arrows now. 3rivers has an arrow shaft calculator, enter in all the specifics and it will give you a spine recommendation. Though I hve found it to error on the stiff side, so either go a little softer or a little longer. But with a 30" draw, your going to need full length shafts anyways. Be sure to find a local proshop you can get some help tuning your arrows at, because if you don't tune them to the bow, you won't get the accuracy you want.

Draw your bow every day! Even if you don't shoot, draw it 20-30 times to keep your muscles in shape. Having not shot in a long time, you're gonna be sore!

Gloves, tabs, thumbring, its all personal preference. Try them all and make your own decision.

-Xander

Smithhammer - how do you like the Asbell quiver? Do you use it for hunting?

Back