Who still carries a Case Knife?

case.jpg
Great choices on both knives do happen to know the pattern #s?

The top one is stamped 33092 with 9 dots signifying 1971 which is correct for when i received it.
3 = Smooth Yellow Synthetic
3 = 3 blades
092 = 92 signifies a stockman with three blades. Zeros are usually significant in Case pattern numbers but no 092 is shown in the pattern numbers but the databases are usually for knives produced in the last ten years.

The lower one is stamped 6232
6 = Jigged bone etc.
2 = 2 blades
32 = Again Case shows a 032 as a Texas Jack with 2 blades.

When I showed these to a Case guy I think he showed a different small blade in a book for the 6232 and maybe that led to the change up in the pattern number?

View attachment 480337

The top one is stamped 33092 with 9 dots signifying 1971 which is correct for when i received it.
3 = Smooth Yellow Synthetic
3 = 3 blades
092 = 92 signifies a stockman with three blades. Zeros are usually significant in Case pattern numbers but no 092 is shown in the pattern numbers but the databases are usually for knives produced in the last ten years.

The lower one is stamped 6232
6 = Jigged bone etc.
2 = 2 blades
32 = Again Case shows a 032 as a Texas Jack with 2 blades.

When I showed these to a Case guy I think he showed a different small blade in a book for the 6232 and maybe that led to the change up in the pattern number?

^^The 33092 pattern from Case was what's called the 'Birdseye' (bolsterless shadow pattern) variation of the 6392-pattern 4" stockman. The '0' inserted between 2nd and 3rd pattern digits is the indication of a variation from the existing pattern, and I assume that's referring to the bolsterless frame, in this case.

The collecting guide* I often refer to shows the '032 pattern 3-blade stockman from 1980s and forward, previously just the '32 pattern in 1970s and earlier. Earlier 2-blade jacks may've been built on that older '32-pattern stockman's frame (the 'CASE' over 'XX' tang stamp on yours looks like 1940-'64). Not sure what Case specifically changed in the configuration, in going to the newer '032 naming convention. I'm speculating the current '032 2-blade jack might've been built on the more recent '032 stockman's frame, which might account for pattern-name change in the 2-blade jack.

* = Official Price Guide to Collector Knives, Fourteenth Edition, by C. Houston Price (2004)

David

Last edited:
Hi David,
Thanks for the information on my two old friends. Nice to know that there is documentation for both that isn't available on the simple internet lists. The 33092 was a gift from my new in-laws for Christmas 1971. I'm pretty sure I told them exactly what I wanted. The 6232 was the first knife I bought for myself at twelve years old in 1962 from the local hardware store. I used to love to go in there and gaze into the big upright Case knife display. Thanks again for filling in the blanks I'll print that out and put in with the knives.
Gerry

I'm going to speculate here; my 1973 Case 6332 Stockman has half-stops, my 2013 Case 63032 Stockman doesn't - could be the reason for the inserted "0". OH

IMG_20160401_090222_zpsc9p8ji6x.jpg

Pulled this Case 4" CV 6292 Texas Jack out of a drawer in my shop today and dropped it in my pocket. I haven't carried it for a looooooooooonnnnng time.

eRy94h6.jpg

I've been carrying this one for about a week, and am VERY happy with it. I modded the spey into a coping, and along with the spear and pen, it makes a great combination. The sunk joints and round bolsters are great on the pocket, too.

GrHbCompClosed_zpse1402f95.jpg~original

GrHbOpen_zps9a0340ae.jpg~original

I've been carrying this one for about a week, and am VERY happy with it. I modded the spey into a coping, and along with the spear and pen, it makes a great combination. The sunk joints and round bolsters are great on the pocket, too.

Jeff, that is a very attractive knife! I'm a big fan of the Humpback Stockman pattern and I've been contemplating getting another one in Harvest Orange. However, the covers on your Whittler may have just changed my mind. What does Case call those covers?

Very nice knife, great photos, and good work on that blade mod!

I got one Case Barlow that was a present from my Wife. I am working toward getting some more .

11031 SH (9 dot) and 62131 CV (5x 2*) on special occasions. They are too valuable to carry every day.

I love Case knives, but it took me a long time to realize how good a simple slip-joint with nice thin blade is as a cutting tool (which is all a knife really is). For the longest time, I was hung up on fast deployment, super steels, and strong locks, until I realized none of that helped me cut the easy things that I typically cut, and they were difficult for me to sharpen to boot! So now I am enjoying traditional knives and I picked up a handful of CV Case knives with the yellow Derlin handles. I have a rotation of large and small Sodbusters, large and Slimline Trappers, and a large Stockman. As much as I thought I wouldn't like the multi-blade knives, the others have a hard time kicking the Stockman and Trapper out of my pocket. I would love to pick up a few other Case knives, especially the regular and Sowbelly Stockmans.
IMG_8104.jpg

Its just a crappy cell-phone pic, and it makes the yellow look too bright, but I guess it will do.

Last edited:
Every day I work.. Smooth black composite handled 87 jack.. Right now.. Red bone 92 jack.. Have about 10 in my edc rotation.. At least 3-4 days a week a CASE is in the rfp after work too!! And a lot more in collection!!! John:)

Back