Who still carries a Case Knife?

I rotate through quite a few traditional knives but this one has been seeing the most pocket time lately.

3A54D45A-C372-4354-9AB0-7D31307C986B_zpsxfsrp3dd.jpg

I think I recognize that knife.

Case Peanuts and Sodbusters are in my rotation. Have a Trapper that I don't carry much but I would be hard pressed to part with. Just added a Texas Jack CV.

Last edited:
One of my Case favorites is my old red pocket worn 6318 stockman. My wish knife would be a Case old red bone 6347 or 6375 in CV. Overall I enjoy my Case knives and just added a 6375 amber bone CV which is riding in my back pocket today.
Bob

Although I greatly admire the Schrade carbon steel blades, I go for Case over Schrade as a strictly personal preference. I can't fault the Schrades a bit, and I've worked with guys who have used the Old Timer series of pocket knives, and they were great knives. But some people like Ford, and some go for Chevy. To me, the Case just has a better feel, better selection of bone, and I like the CV steel. Easy to get very sharp, stays sharp for a good length of time, and the overall package is more attractive to me.

And I realize that YMMV, but the Case's always seemed to have less blade wobble after some years of use, while a lot of Old Timers seemed to develop the wiggles. And with the Swindon key build, you can't snug it up as easy.

Well, after a lot of fiddling and experimenting the last few months to try and refine my carry set up for EDC in the "always and everyday" sense of things, I finally said "fooey!" and today stuck my smooth chestnut bone Case Mini-Trapper back in my right front pocket. For better than a year it was always in my primary pocket everyday. Even prior it would spend months there and only get swapped out for another simple pocket knife until I got around to resharpening the Case and dulling the Queen single blade jack, then I'd swap the Case MT back in place again for daily carry.

I still have a SAK in my left pocket though instead of the small Manager (that replaced a well worn and worn out SD Classic) I now have my SAK Alox Farmer. That will probably ride there all the time too.

Every day at work for the last two years I've carried this

or this

The case peanut is an iconic pocket knife. :)

Paul

Brand new one I bought today at Frost Cutlery in Ooltewah, TN. Going back tomorrow to see about one of the CV models.

And then I have this one:

Carried a case 6217 every day in my pocket since 1973. Wore one out as in a previous post a couple years back I put on the forum. Still carrying it's replacement 6217 to this day. No need to change that I can see. Just works for me, and I've got lot's of knives over the years of collecting.

1scooter,

You have pics you can share of that first one? Wow awesome! I love to examine old well-used pocket knives :)

Arizona, look up the thread I started a couple years ago. I went in depth. It should be under my name. Or Case 6217. Thanks. If u can't find it I'll try to.

I carry a Case peanut every day. 98% of the time it's SS and black delrin with the jigging. Rough black I think they call it. I have several peanuts though. Some for days where I need to be dressed up or for a special occasion. Usually it's the black one though.
I have a wide variety of modern knives, but regardless of the modern knife clipped in my pocket, there is always the peanut.
When I go out for camping or bushcraft I'll still carry the peanut but instead of a modern folder I'll have a med stockman or a mini trapper. Both Case as well.
The peanut has become part knife, part worry stone. :)

Flint Hills,

You beat me to it! lol I had to stop and read the entire thread before I could come back and post up the Link.

1scooter... OMG! This is truly the MOST AMAZING knife and story in this entire Forum! I'd like to nominate you to a place of High Honor for this absolutely incredible feat - we hear these stories but very few are ever documented as well as this one is. We see obviously VERY worn knives here but we know nothing about them often times. This particular story is just a thrill to find.

BRAVO to you 1scooter! You are my new Blade Forums HERO! :)

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...w-Old-Knife?highlight=Sad:+old+worn+out+knife

Thanks Flint & Arizona. It's all true. I guarantee you one thing, since that post I'll never be without a 6217 again. I've bought about 15 of them on an auction site. My all time favorite knife.

Great post 1scooter. I read the whole thing.......amazing how well that Case stood up for you. Here is a pick of my 1972 mint 6235 1/2 knife

IMG_0605_zps8ed2618f.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I just got it today. :)

I own a few Case knives, and carry most of them from time to time. The one I seem to be carrying the most lately is my red bone Pocket Worn 6318 medium stockman. It is a very handy knife, fits nicely in my pocket, and takes and holds a good edge (I re-profiled my blades, as I always do on my knives). I find the stainless holds and edge just as long, and sometimes longer than on my CV Case knives.

Ron

my medium yeller stockman everyday (save a few) since I got it in 2008 or so
got it around the time my dad got diagnosed with prostate cancer, fortunately got it early and been cancer free for years
gene
bb2fd340-3f6f-43a1-aa0f-9ecea37f6f38_zps7440d88c.jpg

Back