Who's interested in a special edition 2012 DDR/HTM Forum Gunhammer?

So what is a new and interesting steel that he would like to use?

To be honest, I think the reason a lot of people are shying away from Elmax is a lot of bearing/flipper fans already have a ZT0560.

Let's just go with CTS-XHP. Darrel himself suggested it as a possibility, it has a lot of support in the poll, isn't found on any other bearing flippers (or, really, any production knives outside a few Spyderco sprints), and isn't going to be as tough to work with as the various 9% Vanadium steels being discussed.

CTS-XHP or Elmax are the only steels that would interest me. S90v 20v etc just aren't my bag (they are good just not my style)

I'm cool with XHP, and its cost effective. I would love 20CP, but everyone needs to love it or its not worth the extra cash.

CTS-XHP vote over here as well.

is there a formal place to sign up for a knife? and is there any ball park price we are working off of currently?

CTS-XHP vote over here as well.

is there a formal place to sign up for a knife? and is there any ball park price we are working off of currently?
No formal place yet since all the details are still being finalized. Price will be 310 in your choice of ball bearing or assisted mechanism and your choice of bowie blade or torpedo blade. More info in the other threads neuron started.

310, and no, we're still sorting out a few details before we can sign up.

-edit- Hark beat me to it. Cause he's crazy fast like that.

No formal place yet since all the details are still being finalized. Price will be 310 in your choice of ball bearing or assisted mechanism and your choice of bowie blade or torpedo blade. More info in the other threads neuron started.

thanks a lot

can i bother again to get an estimated delivery date? are we looking at 2 months or 5 months lol

thanks a lot

can i bother again to get an estimated delivery date? are we looking at 2 months or 5 months lol
That, I won't know til I pass on the final build to Darrel himself. It all depends on the blade steel and his existing work order.

That, I won't know til I pass on the final build to Darrel himself. It all depends on the blade steel and his existing work order.

Hark, did you ever reveal the new secret steel Darrel is working with that you mentioned in another thread? Can it be made out of whatever steel that is?

Hark, did you ever reveal the new secret steel Darrel is working with that you mentioned in another thread? Can it be made out of whatever steel that is?

It can, and no, I have not revealed it yet. Darrel hasn't given me the green light, though that should not change your mind on what steel you guys want.

A clue though: the steel in the 600 run is one you guys have discussed.

It can, and no, I have not revealed it yet. Darrel hasn't given me the green light, though that should not change your mind on what steel you guys want.

A clue though: the steel in the 600 run is one you guys have discussed.

Hark, you should write suspense novels, I'm on the edge of my seat. Hmm, 20CP? S110V? ELMAX? Chinese Surgical Stainless? Oh god! It's 20CP isn't it? Oh shoot, now I want one. It's San Mai with a 420HC edge and S110V spine? Oh that's senseless, just a terrible idea.

C'mon Hark, you can tell us. It will be our little secret. Maybe if I get some liqueur in you. I'll mail you a beer tomorrow, but you gotta mail me your car keys, no driving!

So, I have always been curious. How involved in production of the mid tech Gunhammers is Darrel? What's hand fitted? Blades CNC'd? Always been curious about HTM.

Just some talk to pass the time until we get things going.

So, I have always been curious. How involved in production of the mid tech Gunhammers is Darrel? What's hand fitted? Blades CNC'd? Always been curious about HTM.

Just some talk to pass the time until we get things going.
As far as I know, he still puts everything together by hand.

My guess is that it's either Elmax or CTS-XHP. Hark, I do agree with the others that if the steel on the other run is one that we're considering for the forum knife, it'd be useful to know what it is so we can pick one of the other options.

I agree with Neuron. I will give myself a black eye if it ends up being like CTS Maximet at 68-70hrc like ZT is doing. Or maybe it's Vancron 40 (get a load of this stuff)

Typical C N Si Mn Cr Mo W V
analysis % 1.1 1.8 0.5 0.4 4.5 3.2 3.7 8.5

I think Vancron 40 should be added to the poll. 58-65Hrc is the sweet spot so I really think we hit the jackpot on this one. It's a Bohler steel so you know it's good.

I agree with Neuron. I will give myself a black eye if it ends up being like CTS Maximet at 68-70hrc like ZT is doing. Or maybe it's Vancron 40 (get a load of this stuff)

Typical C N Si Mn Cr Mo W V
analysis % 1.1 1.8 0.5 0.4 4.5 3.2 3.7 8.5

I think Vancron 40 should be added to the poll. 58-65Hrc is the sweet spot so I really think we hit the jackpot on this one. It's a Bohler steel so you know it's good.
I agree that looks like really good stuff, but super-exotic steels like Vancron 40, Maxamet, and so forth are really more the sorts of things to inquire about if you're ordering one of Darrel's full customs. Especially for something like this that's coming together on relatively short notice, IMHO we should stick to something that's high-performance but not too difficult to obtain or work with.

Back