Who's interested in a special edition 2012 DDR/HTM Forum Gunhammer?

I would like in on this if there is still a slot. I have cast my vote in polls but here is what I would like to see:

-leave steel choice to gurus, cts-shx sounds interesting
-shark grey handles aluminum
-glide maxx seems decided upon, sounds great
- like the non glare finish would be fine with stonewash
-like the dr signature idea with x of 25 for logo but okay with whatever if tasteful
-torpedo blade

Will subscribe to this thread, just let me know how to proceed when the details are ironed out

Neuron, I hope my response didn't come off like "matter of fact" style. I actually searched for some info after reading your post about Carpenter being 2nd Gen and found this. I'm no know it all, I promise ;)

I just though you would find that interesting like I did. I'm not super hung ho about changing the steel, but if it were an option I would vote for 204P, that's all.

Neuron, I hope my response didn't come off like "matter of fact" style. I actually searched for some info after reading your post about Carpenter being 2nd Gen and found this. I'm no know it all, I promise ;)

I just though you would find that interesting like I did. I'm not super hung ho about changing the steel, but if it were an option I would vote for 204P, that's all.
Nope, it didn't come off like that at all. :) I appreciate the info; I didn't know Carpenter used different PM steel tech at different facilities.

I'm more than happy with either steel. I'd prefer 204P from a performance standpoint -- I love M390 -- but would prefer XHP from the standpoint of trying something new (but still with very good performance).

Quick question. When I read back through the posts, it looks like Glide Maxx versus assisted opening would both be available options like torpedo vs. Bowie.

Can anyone give me a quick answer about the difference between the assisted and the Glide Maxx? I have a few assisted knives, spring loaded that require a starting "push". I have a ZT 300 with a solid thunk. I am assuming the Glide Maxx is a smooth manual opener based on what I have read about it? Why one over the other? Just trying to decide which to get. So, another way of asking the question is why are you choosing the assisted or the Glide Maxx and why? Pluses, minuses.

I'm going to go with Maxx Glide because manual knives can close smoothly too, whereas an assisted knife, you have to force shut against the spring.

Personally I'd go for the CTS-XHP because it sharpens up so quickly and easily without giving up much in edge retention. It's also bloody tough stuff with darn good stain resistance. All in all it's pretty rapidly becoming my favorite all around steel.

Quick question. When I read back through the posts, it looks like Glide Maxx versus assisted opening would both be available options like torpedo vs. Bowie.

Can anyone give me a quick answer about the difference between the assisted and the Glide Maxx? I have a few assisted knives, spring loaded that require a starting "push". I have a ZT 300 with a solid thunk. I am assuming the Glide Maxx is a smooth manual opener based on what I have read about it? Why one over the other? Just trying to decide which to get. So, another way of asking the question is why are you choosing the assisted or the Glide Maxx and why? Pluses, minuses.
Maxx Glide uses shielded bearings around the pivot. The assisted version uses a combination bar and coil spring to make the blade fly out. It was a design that the late Blackie Collins and Darrel Ralph came up with.

Why one over the other? It's just preference. I like the smoothness of a bearing system over an assisted mechanism. If designed right, a bearing system will open just as fast as an assisted opener. No real plus or minus other than more parts which means more things that can fail, but I wouldn't worry too much about the spring system failing.

I have an assisted Gunhammer...its actually faster than some of my autos...the set up is reminiscent of a hammer spring set up in a 45...

I am going bearings because I love a smooth pivot. Often times I just roll open my knives instead of flicking them open just to feel how smooth they are. I am really looking forward to this, it's cool to have a say in such a cool knife. I do love my auto's, but manual flippers will always have a place in my pocket.

On a lighter note, here is Darrel explaning how a Gunhammer works to a toy soldier:

DDR_Interview5.jpg

I'd like to see a new poll of XHP v 204P

I need to do some research.
Sounds good to me. Given that Elmax garnered 20+ votes in the previous poll (with nothing else being close to that and XHP), I think we'd need to include that in the poll as well.

Hark, could you check with Darrel about the availability (and cost) of 204P before we do a poll with it as one of the options? Also, it got a bit buried back in the thread, but since we're extending the blade steel decision process, what are people's feelings on S90V (or S110V if available) at a cost of $50 extra per knife?

Sounds good to me. Given that Elmax garnered 20+ votes in the previous poll (with nothing else being close to that and XHP), I think we'd need to include that in the poll as well.

Hark, could you check with Darrel about the availability (and cost) of 204P before we do a poll with it as one of the options? Also, it got a bit buried back in the thread, but since we're extending the blade steel decision process, what are people's feelings on S90V (or S110V if available) at a cost of $50 extra per knife?

Count me in for a few more dollars for some super, super steel. 110V or again Carpenter has 20CP which is an S90V type steel. But, these are some exotic, expensive, hard to grind steels and I understand if Darrel isn't feeling these. I would vote for either, but I am happy with 204P also.

Count me in for a few more dollars for some super, super steel. 110V or again Carpenter has 20CP which is an S90V type steel. But, these are some exotic, expensive, hard to grind steels and I understand if Darrel isn't feeling these. I would vote for either, but I am happy with 204P also.
Good call on 20CP as another possibility. (For others' reference, as TriviaMonster mentioned, 20CP is basically Carpenter's version of S90V.) That'd check all the boxes in terms of being extremely high-performance and also very unique (as far as I know, the only production or semi-production knife that's been made with the stuff is Spyderco's Gray G-10 Para 2 sprint).

I'd definitely be on board for paying an extra $50 for 20CP, S90V, or S110V, with 20CP being my pick of those. As with 204P, though, we'd have to get word from Darrel about pricing and availability before moving forward with 20CP.

Neuron, now we are talking. 20cp would make this knife absolutely epic. As would 110V, but I think using a Carpenter steel would be pretty cool. Of course it all depends on Darrel. XHP still is a good, solid choice, but if we can get something like 20CP or even just 204P, that would really make this knife special. 20CP knives are extremely rare, heck, even knives with just S90V are pretty hard to come by. I love the idea of sharpening a knife once a year and stropping it the rest of the time.

No go on 204p. He doesn't like it.

Well, that answers that question. I'm not sure how I feel about paying an extra 50 for 20CP though. I suppose if that ends up being the consensus I'll deal with it, but that puts the price closer to 400 than 300, and that starts to get a bit pricy.

No go on 204p. He doesn't like it.

Hark, does he not like it because its a workaround for the M390 problem? I can understand and respect that. Worth a try, though.

I am interested in S90V or S110V or 20CP, whichever would be the cheapest out of those would be completely awesome. I will say this may put the knife out of some peoples reach so its a give and take situation. I'm weighing better steel vs. higher cost vs. less people being able to buy them and its getting tricky if we choose a very exotic steel like mentioned above. 204P was our middle ground performance wise so this makes it interesting.

I guess we will wait for a poll and hear what DDR has to say about the new suggestions.

Hark, does he not like it because its a workaround for the M390 problem? I can understand and respect that. Worth a try, though.

He says it's crap steel. Some makers like certain steels, other makers don't. I imagine by crap, he meant compared to other steels that are around today. Then again, he's not very fond of other steels as well, but he will work on some and not others. I'm sure there are steels he likes to work with and heat treat and others he hates. All his heat treating is done in house btw. He knows a good bit about steel. If he doesn't like 204p, I wouldn't try to get him to change his mind.

Just remember, yes, this is your forum sprint run knife and limited to a few handful, but also try to be somewhat mindful of him. He's already balding. Let's not make him pull out the remainder of his hair now.

This is a side project he's willing to take on for you guys (in addition to his existing work orders for customs and other HTM stuff).

If it were me, I'd pick Elmax, but I'm wanting to be as transparent in this project as possible, so you guys can get the knife you want. I just like Elmax and m390, but m390 is no go, so Elmax would be my choice. If I wanted to go opposite of Elmax, I'd pick 3v.

Back