• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Why all the DPX HEST's for sale?

Doesn't stick out, but it does sit close. I've never cut myself, but can see how someone could.

You mean the blade stuck out the back of the handles when the knife is closed? Sounds like a serious issue to me.

no it doesn't stick out but the blade is so thick that you can get your finger in there if you're not paying attention they should of thought that one out a little better in my opinion. If they would have put a solid backspacer on the knife it wouldn't have been an issue. There are lots of things I like about the knife though and I wouldn't get rid of it I still like it.

Mine is a regular production (not a pre-order) that I got from Knifecenter. No issues at all, no blade play, no sticking out of the blade. I like the feel of the knife. All this talk about the LE having problems surprises me. I would have thought the LE would have been done better? (I learn about this knife late so I don't know what happened during the pre-order process).

Anyway, from me at least, no complaints on the regular version.

I've got a Sterile LE and a production. No issues with either. The LE is in the safe and I EDC the production. Great knife. In fact, I was using the bottle opener to crack open some brews this afternoon. I too was wondering why people are selling. Speculators? I'm going to pick up another production from New Graham to put in the safe.

I've got a Sterile LE and a production. No issues with either. The LE is in the safe and I EDC the production. Great knife. In fact, I was using the bottle opener to crack open some brews this afternoon. I too was wondering why people are selling. Speculators? I'm going to pick up another production from New Graham to put in the safe.

Doubt it is speculators, most of the knives I see on the exchange are selling for a 15-20% loss. I don't see many people complaining about it, but the exchange is crawling with them. Same thing for the ZT 551 and the Para-military 2 (being all over the exchange, not for being sold at loss). My guess is not that people hate it, but that is "meh" for a lot, and they figure they might as well sell it to the crowd of people that are kind of interested (I was one of those till I got my paws on a ZT 0551, loving that thing!).

I don't get it. The 0551 doesn't have as thick a blade so it slices better and the steel easily has better edge retention(and tougher, and more stainless). I don't see the appeal.

And it doesn't have that weird short blade, the ergo's are amazing, and it looks great. I'm not sure about the issue here being that the HEST was overhyped. The 0551 was very hyped and it's not all over the forums right now. When it is, they tend to go for the price people bought them at or more. The HEST is just outclassed by other Ti framelocks in its price range IMO.

Why are they for sale? Probably more than one reason. Looks like most every one posted sold, many rather quickly so who knows? My production model works great so I'll be hanging on to it.

I had one, an LE that I got in a trade. That kind of LE stuff with the face all over the blade and handle were just not for me so I accepted it pretty much because I knew it would sell instantly, which it did. It WAS a very solid knife though. The lock bar was tough to actuate and the blade was tougher to start but that could have just been break in period. My zt551 on the other hand was butter smooth out of the box. Both good knives I wouldnt mind owning again.

I like mine, it opens well, blade is centered and it doesn't have any scuff marks. The problem, is that this is my THIRD one. First one needed two hands to open unless you loosened it up to where the blade rubbed. The thumbstuds also were not flush with the blade, I could slide a piece of printer paper inbetween the stud and the blade. It also had some marks on the studs that looked like they were from pliers?

Second one I got opened like a dream and was beautiful....Then I realized that with little to no force I could break the lock over....After doing it a few times it was bad enough that I barely needed more pressure than what I could do with my index finger on the back of the blade while I held the knife in that hand.

This last one that i've gotten opens good, blade is centered and when the locks slams shut you can just hear that it is there to stay (also i can't break it over if I try.) The clip is still an issue but my understanding is that they had some solid ones made to be sending out for replacements whenever current ones break.

I know there was alot of bad air about DPx, but I have to say their customer service has been wonderful. I hate that I've had to use it so much, but I couldn't ask for more as far as a companies customer service is concerned.

Well, I just sold my Hest folder for a few reasons. I bought the knife because I thought I was going to love it. Turns out I actually did. But upon receiving the FIRST one everything was great minus the lock failure. It would not fail under a spine whack but when you applied pressure on the back side of the blade, the titanuim liner would slide out and knife would close. So I sent it in to DPX, Customer service is excellent, and Linda is great to work with. But then I got my SECOND Replacement this past friday and thought everything was perfect. Locked up solid and everything. Then sunday morning, 2 days later, The frame lock failed in my hands , slid on tang, and I got disgusted and decided to sell it on the exchange. I told teh guy that the frame slides on the tang but he said he will take his chances with it.

I was very hesitant to sell the knife, but after spending 200+ for it and getting two in a row that has issues, my frustration got the best of me. And now that I think about it, the knife has kind of a Gil Hibben thing going. It looks cool and has some neat features, but out of the box its just not holding up to what it should for the price. Maybe the design or quality control will get better in the future with these.

Hope this helps.

Mark

Last edited:
I didn't sell mine at a loss but I returned my LE for a full refund the day I got it due to the shenanigans of the owner on this forum. The knife was 'ok' and although I didn't find it all that special when I handled it, ultimately I would've kept and used it if I felt like Mr. P deserved my money.

I'd be lying if I didn't say I was disappointed in the release circumstances of the HEST/F. I wanted it to be a great knife from the start and had an LE Sterile and two productions on preorder before the bomb was dropped. I anticpated the HEST/F as much as the ZT 0551 and was truly disappointed that I was compelled to cancel all my preorders and obtain a refund on money paid. I did that with a sense of sadness.

I will possibly come back once the design is permanantly fixed instead of patches. I wouldn't own one today but hopefully they will make some real design modifications to address the blade edge issues and the exposed tip, both of which seem to conflict with each other since the blade edge problem is manifested by the current resolution to the exposed tip problem. Add a little more width to the scales and be done with it.
Of course, any design change would never repair that egregious fiasco that took place in that ill fated thing they called a sub-forum. That sort of confirmed to me that a stereotype is often times a reflection of true reality.

I don't get it. The 0551 doesn't have as thick a blade so it slices better and the steel easily has better edge retention(and tougher, and more stainless). I don't see the appeal.

That's the beauty of the knife world. Different people like different things. I love the 0551, but something about the hest/f just speaks to me. It's a purely aesthetic appeal, nothing functionality wise appeals to me. I'm going to keep both of my 0551s, but I'm sure someday soon I'll get a hest/f.

That's the beauty of the world. Different people like different things. I love the 0551, but something about the hest/f just speaks to me. It's a purely aesthetic appeal, nothing functionality wise appeals to me. I'm going to keep both of my 0551s, but I'm sure someday soon I'll get a hest/f.

I just got it back from DPX after sending it in to get fixed for blade play and there is still the slightest bit of up and down play if you really wiggle the blade up and down.

Last edited by a moderator:
There was clearly an issue with the limited edition ones, really a pity considering my perfect experience with (outsourced manufacturer) Lion Steel's production quality.
Now, luckily I don't have the limited one but I have one of the normal production models and there is nothing wrong with it, it is a tough yet still relatively compact folder, made with with nice attention to detail - inline with my previous Lion Steel experience.

There was clearly an issue with the limited edition ones, really a pity considering my perfect experience with (outsourced manufacturer) Lion Steel's production quality.
Now, luckily I don't have the limited one but I have one of the normal production models and there is nothing wrong with it, it is a tough yet still relatively compact folder, made with with nice attention to detail - inline with my previous Lion Steel experience.

The only issue that was fixed on the production knives was the tip issue.

The lock issues are just as common on the production models.

This thread is really discouraging me. I LOVE the aesthetic of the knife (minus the silly graphics), but hearing about all these failures... its tough to trust. Blade play is my biggest pet peeve and thats only cause I've never owned a knife that had lock failures from regular use.

I guess its a blessing in disguise that its impossible to find one?

This makes me feel even better about getting a refund. Now the replacement knives are having lock failures,which is exactly what worried me.

My experience was that the tiny amount of vertical play quickly becomes lock failure. I really wanted to love this one but it's starting to look like the good knives are the exception.

This was easily the worst let down in my 30+ years of buying knives.

Back