• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Why all the DPX HEST's for sale?

I have both the HEST/F (production) and a ZT 0551, and I find the HEST sees more pocket time. Maybe I am lucky, but I do not have any issues with the HEST - blade is centered when opened, closed properly when closed :) , solid lockup, etc. I have wondered the same as the OP since they came out why this model has such a bad reputation - I guess all the bad press/politics/blade not closing properly with the LE models...? I think overall it is still a pretty good bang for the buck!

So, after I wrote this I decided to grab the HEST and guess what...I have blade play and my lock moves!!! I just contacted Customer Service, I'll update here later

Last edited:
i had my HEST production sent in for warranty repairs which were exposed tip when closed, blade play, off centered blade, and a really loose roto-lock which constantly would engage on its own. pretty much nothing was right with it. told DPx about the problems and they said to send it in and they would send me a new one. didnt hear anything for a week so i contacted them then they told me its gonna take two weeks to do repairs. i received my knife back two days short of a month after DPx received my knife. when i got it back the blade was off centered but after a while of trying to find the magic spot with the pivot screw i was able to correct it. but the blade coating hand a very noticeable nick on it and the pivot screw looked like someone just went to town on it with a screw driver. i sold it for a lot less then what i got it for cause i felt like it really was not of good quality. most knives with these problems would be considered factory seconds but i guess this is what DPx Gear's motto means… "Attention to detail. Obsession with quality." yah sure… give me a break.

Wow what negative comments on a new knife. This is the most expensive knife I have ever bought. There is some little problems with it, but it doesnt leave my pocket. What a bunch of dam cry babies. I understand the problems, most can be be fixed if you have any know how. I have had problems with spyderco also. But one thing for sure is im not crying about it. I use my hest every day. It will be my main folder hunting knife this year too. Its not the smoothest, but it seems plenty strong. Little things can be changed to make it stronger though. Im happy with mine. Just some minor issues. Mainly the mating surface on the lock up. I sure as the hell couldnt imagine spending the money on a strider or othe expensive ti lock knife. This one is just fine.

Wow what negative comments on a new knife. This is the most expensive knife I have ever bought. There is some little problems with it, but it doesnt leave my pocket. What a bunch of dam cry babies. I understand the problems, most can be be fixed if you have any know how. I have had problems with spyderco also. But one thing for sure is im not crying about it. I use my hest every day. It will be my main folder hunting knife this year too. Its not the smoothest, but it seems plenty strong. Little things can be changed to make it stronger though. Im happy with mine. Just some minor issues. Mainly the mating surface on the lock up. I sure as the hell couldnt imagine spending the money on a strider or othe expensive ti lock knife. This one is just fine.

Not wanting to spend $175+ to get a knife with a lock that fails, exposed tips, and potential to cut your hand through the back isn't being a cry baby. Most people would like a safe knife for that kind of money.

Mine is ok, I think they make a bigger deal than it has to be. The lock slipped at first, and the mating surface is off. But i took it apart and fixed it. I dont want to cut myself, but i almost did with my spyderco gb. Everyone just wants to flame robert pelton for some crap that happened on here. If its that bad send it back for a refund and buy something else. Just quit flaming the poor guy already. Like I said its the most expensive knife I have ever bought. It had minor issues but i fixed most of them. The mating surface on the lock needs the most work in my opinion. Besides that, its a really good blade. Its just some people have nothing better to do but complain about some dumb crap.

A few folks here seem to want to dismiss or justify the problems with the DPX Hest. I don't understand this. The point of BF is to share knife knowledge, and an important part of that is how good the F&F of a knife is and how well it performs. Clearly, the Hest does not measure up in those categories, let alone among other knives of the same price. We need to be honest about the problems. However, I do agree that we need to leave the personality issues aside. This discussion is about the knife. The interpersonal issues have been well documented elsewhere.

I really hope that they improve their quality control and warranty service in response to these problems. In the meantime, there are many other knives out there that don't have these issues. Spend your $ wisely. ;)

- Mark

I like mine. I used it today to remove the membrane on baby back ribs before smoking them. The blade is razor sharp. That said, HEST does need to address the design issues.
Have they made any public comments in response to the complaints? Thanks

FWIW, I bought 2 for friends, and they are very happy with the knife - no lock slipping but the edge near the choil is way too close to the spine - I cut my hand on it whilst gripping it and trying to tighten the clip. The clip is too loose.

But my friends are happy with it....:)

I will wait for the second run with the problems fixed and hopefully they produce one without the black coating but a dark stonewashed finish. I will give it another try.

Are the problems only w/the right handed folders? Ive had my left handed one for 3 weeks now. Only minor problem was when locked up in the beginning sometimes it would be a little difficult to push the frame lock w/my left thumb alone. after about 50 - 75 times of opening and pushing the frame lock its perfect now. No problems w/it slipping and closing the knife. ive tried it out many times. the blade tip does not show when closed either.
i know a lot of people are complaining about the knife but i only have positive things to say about it. It's my EDC and i love it in every way. Maybe another lefty can chime in w/their experience as well. i'd like to see if it's only the right handed versions with the problems.

The DPx HEST always was and is doing fine. Sold out for months and we have learned to focus only on customers and potential customers, not this forum, its cranky moderators, chairborne rangers and its deadbeat owner has wasted a lot of time and goodwill. Haters gonna hate. Players gonna play. :))

I and what appears to be a growing list of other manufacturers don't waste our time on here. Those that are interested in how gear is used and where it is put to use know where to find me. We will be launching 6 new new products at Blade so come on by. Those with prostate problems or middle aged cranky man syndrome can flame me directly at ryp#comebackalive.com. The apoplectic ones who post behind aliases will get the usual invite to come on over and show your stuff.

They never do.

Have a great holiday and remember those who are no longer around to enjoy this beautiful weekend.

The DPx HEST always was and is doing fine. Sold out for months and we have learned to focus only on customers and potential customers, not this forum, its cranky moderators, chairborne rangers and its deadbeat owner has wasted a lot of time and goodwill. Haters gonna hate. Players gonna play. :))

I and what appears to be a growing list of other manufacturers don't waste our time on here. Those that are interested in how gear is used and where it is put to use know where to find me. We will be launching 6 new new products at Blade so come on by. Those with prostate problems or middle aged cranky man syndrome can flame me directly at ryp#comebackalive.com. The apoplectic ones who post behind aliases will get the usual invite to come on over and show your stuff.

They never do.

Have a great holiday and remember those who are no longer around to enjoy this beautiful weekend.

You're so full of shit, it's really hard to believe.

I and what appears to be a growing list of other manufacturers don't waste our time on here. Those that are interested in how gear is used and where it is put to use know where to find me. We will be launching 6 new new products at Blade so come on by. Those with prostate problems or middle aged cranky man syndrome can flame me directly at . The apoplectic ones who post behind aliases will get the usual invite to come on over and show your stuff.

They never do.

Yet you keep coming back, antagonizing, and just being immature.

They never do.

Did Ren ever get the knife you promised? Last I heard he hadn't.

"RYP", by the way, I think that is probably one of those aliases you referred to in your prior post. My name is Paul Long and while I do go by "sheathmaker" here it is easy enough to find my real name. Just go down to my sig line in every post I make.

Now the subject of my post. I agree with EMT Lee. Based on the content of your last post here, I think you ARE pretty much full of shit.

I will be at Blade, but I have no inclination to look you up, because so far you haven't done or said anything I'm really interested in. You are more than welcome to look me up if you desire.

Paul

Last edited:
RYP, you've got nothing better to do than spew venom in a month-old thread? I thought you had more going for you than that. Too bad.

They never do.

lol, my father who is LEO, my brother who is Military police, and my many good friends who are either Military, LEO, or a First Responders got to handle my HEST folder and saw it for what it was… a POS. i have worked armored trucks for years, just graduated the Sheriff's Academy and am in the process with a few PD's and will never trust my life with your knife and i will never recommend it to others. even if your new stuff was better quality i would never buy it because you are a disrespectful prick. im glad my review of the HEST folder has turned off potential buyers from giving you their hard earned money.

btw your forum blows, this one rocks and will always rock. you think just because you and supposedly a few other manufactures dont participate here its gonna effect the worlds largest knife community??? DPX has nothing compared to the manufactures that do participate here. lol.

Last edited:
Yep. Save yourself a few bucks and buy a real knife.

ZT0303-1.jpg

Have they made any public comments in response to the complaints? Thanks

Yes. Here ya go....

I and what appears to be a growing list of other manufacturers don't waste our time on here. Those that are interested in how gear is used and where it is put to use know where to find me. We will be launching 6 new new products at Blade so come on by. Those with prostate problems or middle aged cranky man syndrome can flame me directly at ryp#comebackbroke.com. The apoplectic ones who post behind aliases will get the usual invite to come on over and show your stuff.

They never do.

Herpa durrrrp.

Back