Why Busse Combat?

Thank you for the information. I enjoyed Cliff's reviews, and he certainly did help sell a LOT of Busse knives! But for me it was seeing Ron Hood use a couple of Busses in his Basic Survival video years ago that really hooked me.

No doubt that Ron Hood helped sell lots of INFI with his video.

It was Cliff Stamp for me. I miss that crazy physicist.

IIRC, I had seen some stuff on-line about Busse and kin ~2005/6, but it didn't really compel me to action. Then I stumbled upon his review of the Ratweiler:

http://www.cliffstamp.com/knives/reviews/ratweiler.html

by then I was already lurking on BF. On Fathers Day, 2006, tyrkon lawson posted a RW for sale, and buying that sent me down the rabbit hole and the road to perdition. (to mix my metaphors)(without rbmcbmjr, someone has to be the grammar pedant....)

One of the dumbest things I ever wasted my time on was watching a 8 or 9 part YT series of absolute abuse to a Busse before it finally snapped when I don't think there's a production knife out there which would've made it a 3 or 4 part series under the same conditions ~ And that photo of looping that long sword around clamped to the picnic table shown a couple pages back- didn't know knife steel could do that. For the cherry on top, watching Rob chop and baton wood beating the hell out of it then putting his boot up on a stump and shaving hair off his leg - say waht? :eek: ~ Of course reading some of the flaming arguments of Busse haters on BF and seeing that end badly for the hater showed me some true passion. Add all that up then looking at all the different knives and beautiful handles and sexy lines of a Flying Mojo and also coming across the picture of "the" Bluegrass Bowie ~ What's not to love :thumbsup:

wVHyH5G.jpg

I know this is an old thread, but I always like these stories.

Are both of those flextion pics of SR77? any INFI Flextion pics or there!!! or SR101 for that matter? Not that I need more proof, but I like the pics!!

Why Busse? The knives are great but, in truth, it's that Jerry and the Busse crew make it fun. You never know what's coming next, the ganzas, puzzles, etc. I love other knives too but buying them isn't as fun ;-)

I mean....really...is there any other company that treats their customers like Busse. Not in my eyes. And the SR77 wakizashi flex is icing on the cake. Never looking Back!
Busse/Kin all the way!

It was Cliff Stamp for me. I miss that crazy physicist.

IIRC, I had seen some stuff on-line about Busse and kin ~2005/6, but it didn't really compel me to action. Then I stumbled upon his review of the Ratweiler:

http://www.cliffstamp.com/knives/reviews/ratweiler.html

by then I was already lurking on BF. On Fathers Day, 2006, tyrkon lawson posted a RW for sale, and buying that sent me down the rabbit hole and the road to perdition. (to mix my metaphors)(without rbmcbmjr, someone has to be the grammar pedant....)
I learned about Cliff Stamp from the Busse forums but that guy is a very interesting character. I went back and read that post that got him banned and it seemed a bit thin-skinned on the part of Spark. Contrast that to how he was attacked in some of the Strider threads without banning the attackers.

I guess a lot of people don't like Cliff Stamp but I love his methodical and scientific approach. He is a true scientist that gladly will change his opinion based on new evidence. This is very different from those that just defer to their preferred authorities.

Cliff was constantly attacked and that was the first time I felt he even got the least bit personal and I don't think he was truly getting personal. I think he was just stating what he felt was a fact, that things had objectively changed with the ownership of the forum but Spark took it as a dig. He could have just as easily taken it as a compliment as people obviously wanted to discuss the topic and Spark was letting that discussion proceed unhindered.

Sorry to get off track but I think Cliff Stamp is an overall positive for the knife industry and he is the one that started this thread.

For me, it was Chad Pirtle telling me about his collection . . . and then I bought one. Now I have about 40 and I'm broke! Lol

I learned about Cliff Stamp from the Busse forums but that guy is a very interesting character. I went back and read that post that got him banned and it seemed a bit thin-skinned on the part of Spark. Contrast that to how he was attacked in some of the Strider threads without banning the attackers.

I guess a lot of people don't like Cliff Stamp but I love his methodical and scientific approach. He is a true scientist that gladly will change his opinion based on new evidence. This is very different from those that just defer to their preferred authorities.

Cliff was constantly attacked and that was the first time I felt he even got the least bit personal and I don't think he was truly getting personal. I think he was just stating what he felt was a fact, that things had objectively changed with the ownership of the forum but Spark took it as a dig. He could have just as easily taken it as a compliment as people obviously wanted to discuss the topic and Spark was letting that discussion proceed unhindered.

Sorry to get off track but I think Cliff Stamp is an overall positive for the knife industry and he is the one that started this thread.

For me, it was Chad Pirtle telling me about his collection . . . and then I bought one. Now I have about 40 and I'm broke! Lol

You are right. Here is the political truth. He damaged many knifemakers knives. Instead of looking at it as an opportunity to improve their product some of these makers and their nut hugging fans attacked him constantly. Most never got banned. However, at the time what drew people to the forums was the knifemakers and the choice had to be made and either loosing one reviewer or loosing a bunch of knife makers and their followers. It did not help that Cliffs postings were blunt and filterless. He could have toned down his comments as well.

To this day I will not buy a knife from a maker who disagreed with cliffs testing methods. It shows me the maker does not believe in his own heat treat. I buy fixed blade knives from a few custom makers, Busse, HI and ESEE. Oh and CS. thats it.

There were a few knifemakers who reacted positively to cliffs testing. Busse was one.

And then came Noss. Lol.

You are right. Here is the political truth. He damaged many knifemakers knives. Instead of looking at it as an opportunity to improve their product some of these makers and their nut hugging fans attacked him constantly. Most never got banned. However, at the time what drew people to the forums was the knifemakers and the choice had to be made and either loosing one reviewer or loosing a bunch of knife makers and their followers. It did not help that Cliffs postings were blunt and filterless. He could have toned down his comments as well.

To this day I will not buy a knife from a maker who disagreed with cliffs testing methods. It shows me the maker does not believe in his own heat treat. I buy fixed blade knives from a few custom makers, Busse, HI and ESEE. Oh and CS. thats it.

There were a few knifemakers who reacted positively to cliffs testing. Busse was one.

And then came Noss. Lol.

I think the "torture tests" that Cliff and Noss do/did produce valuable data that I consider in knife purchases. I understand that there are knives that are not designed to take abuse but knives are tools and I'm hard on my tools so I stick to those knives that pass those torture tests.

Maybe I will never have to use a knife to cut a door off of a vehicle but I would hate to be in a position where I needed that performance and not have it. I honestly feel like there is not a position that I could find myself in that one of my Busses couldn't get me out of. If people think I'm strange for wanting that kind of assurance/insurance, so be it.

There are lots of knives for people who want a blade that can cut well but will break easily when stressed. The best knives for those people are ones with replaceable blades like a razor knife or the skinners with that feature.

I wouldn't want to be in the woods with a knife that won't take some hard use.

Any knife can be broken. The point is to get a knife that has been properly made and heat treated. Testing knives to the limit or beyond helps verify that the knife maker is doing a good job. It's called independent testing, independent QC, etc. How the knifemaker reacts to that testing tells you all you want to know

My first Busse was a Gift/Bonus for building a 1911 Racegun for one of my customers. At the time I had never heard of Busse, but the GW was a Nice little blade that got me to doing research. My GO TO knife was one I carried in VN in the '60's I thought it was the Shizzzle of All Things sharp Randall #1-6 (it will go to the grave with me...it's in the Will) I thought there is no Knife that will ever compare....WELL The research brought me to Jerry Busse's Mad House of Monster SHBM's:cool:....Remember the FIRST one was FREE...Now I'm Strung Out on Greasy Smokey Bacon;)

Any knife can be broken. The point is to get a knife that has been properly made and heat treated. Testing knives to the limit or beyond helps verify that the knife maker is doing a good job. It's called independent testing, independent QC, etc. How the knifemaker reacts to that testing tells you all you want to know
Totally Agree.........What generally gets lost in translation is the consumer wanting High RC hardness numbers without understanding that sacrificing overall toughness is what Makes a Great Blade. Look at Jerry's RC numbers for INFI 58-60 Sweet Spot that took a lot of Heat Treat Testing to find the balance of Hardness and Toughness...I'm a Believer and I test all the steels I make blades from to get that balance it Ain't easy!!!

Basic 9. It is a painful video to watch as you can see it does not want to die.

Back