Why Remove the Prices?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Karda, Esav, please never hand over the For Sale section to anyone who'd require us to delete the whole post if we choose to delete that price. Thank you.

You won't have to worry about that. The way you get to be a mod around here is by being helpful and understanding the posted forum rules.

Lou,
This is the Reference that Esav wanted you to notice in the rules:
14.You are not required to edit out, or leave in place, the original or final selling price. That is your prerogative

The rules are the result of many years of forum activity. It is the owners wishes that sales (in regards to pricing) not have to be moderated.

I've seen that Karda. I've referred to it several times, in fact, long before Esav, "suggested" that I re-read it. I had hopes of being able to change that rule, but I've given it up.

My suggestion for the rules change had nothing to do with "sales in regards to pricing." It had to do with leaving the prices up or, if the individual did not want to do that, removing the post.

You won't have to worry about that. The way you get to be a mod around here is by being helpful and understanding the posted forum rules.

It would seem that the insinuation here is that I don't understand "the posted forum rules." Fact is, I understand the rules perfectly. I just thought they could be improved.

So now I have to ask, "Why is it important that the post itself be left up if the selling price has been deleted?". As Lou stated, it's really no more hassle to delete the entire post than to delete the selling price... actually, it's probably easier overall... So WHY would anyone (seller, buyer, searcher of info) want or not want the entire post deleted as opposed to just the selling price? In reality, what purpose does it serve to the seller or the buyer for the post to be left up if the selling price has been deleted? What purpose does the post serve anyone if the price has been deleted? What info could possibly be in the post (except for maybe some cool pics) that could be beneficial to ANYONE if the selling price has been deleted? I'm anxious to see what kind of answers pop up.....

One thing I sometimes look for is how often a certain knife pops up for sale. I need the posts, but not the price, to find that out. I might also see from the responses if it's a sought after knife, of if the right person has to come along.

It would seem that the insinuation here is that I don't understand "the posted forum rules." Fact is, I understand the rules perfectly. I just thought they could be improved.

I'm not sure why people think i insinuate, i think i speak very succinctly.

So now I have to ask, "Why is it important that the post itself be left up if the selling price has been deleted?". As Lou stated, it's really no more hassle to delete the entire post than to delete the selling price... actually, it's probably easier overall... So WHY would anyone (seller, buyer, searcher of info) want or not want the entire post deleted as opposed to just the selling price? In reality, what purpose does it serve to the seller or the buyer for the post to be left up if the selling price has been deleted? What purpose does the post serve anyone if the price has been deleted? What info could possibly be in the post (except for maybe some cool pics) that could be beneficial to ANYONE if the selling price has been deleted? I'm anxious to see what kind of answers pop up.....

See my post #31, item 2.

What is the purpose of that rule? What does it prevent from happening? Why would someone not simply bump the original post?

"One thing I sometimes look for is how often a certain knife pops up for sale. I need the posts, but not the price, to find that out. I might also see from the responses if it's a sought after knife, of if the right person has to come along."

All that information is rendered pretty much worthless in the scheme of things if the selling price has been deleted... Why would you care how often it pops up for sale if you don't know what it sold for? Knowing the selling price would go a LOOOOONG way towards telling you if "the right person had to come along".... Besides, the responses would still be there, just not the OP.

"One thing I sometimes look for is how often a certain knife pops up for sale. I need the posts, but not the price, to find that out. I might also see from the responses if it's a sought after knife, of if the right person has to come along."

All that information is rendered pretty much worthless in the scheme of things if the selling price has been deleted... Why would you care how often it pops up for sale if you don't know what it sold for? Knowing the selling price would go a LOOOOONG way towards telling you if "the right person had to come along".... Besides, the responses would still be there, just not the OP.

Not worthless at all, if I want to know if something I'm interested in pops up very often. If it's hard to come by, I might choose to go after that less than minty one available right now. If it comes up fairly often, I might choose to hold out for one with exactly the options I want.

And what good would the responses do me if I had no idea what knife they were responding to?

"if something I'm interested in pops up very often. If it's hard to come by, I might choose to go after that less than minty one available right now. If it comes up fairly often, I might choose to hold out for one with exactly the options I want."

Again, how valuable is that information in a vacuum.... Wouldn't the going price for each make all of it much more relevant? Now, if you're rich and money is no option I can understand where you're coming from.

No, it's not a vacuum. Let me rephrase that. I really want an xxxx. One just popped up on the exchenge for price I'm OK with, but it's not exactly the options or condition I want. So I search, and see it's the first one to pop up on over 6 months. I'll probably grab this one, so I can have an xxxx at all. Or, I see they pop up every few weeks, so I pass on this one, and wait for a better one, since I think I'll have a good chance to get exactly what I want.

"for price I'm OK with"

How do you know it's a price you're OK with if the price is undisclosed....?

I prefer to see an intact post when I'm looking at past sales, but price redacted is better than nothing.

And you missed the point of mine....

How do you know if you are OK with the price if you don't know what the price was?

Lone, I see your point.... But, your point is invalid unless you have unlimited funds... The paradigm you are putting forth is completely devoid of frugality. Surely you see this....

Let me pose a hypothetical.... You do a search and you find that there have been several XXXXX knives sold at ???????. Now one that comes up that has the exact parameters of what you are looking for..... You have no idea what it's worth... You have no idea what people have paid for it.... The only reason you would jump on it is because money is no option to you. That changes the game....

Basically, it's "I don't care what it's worth or what someone else has paid for it because I'm going to get it regardless because it's what I want". Sadly, 98% of us don't fall under that category.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back