• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Would you trade your 2021 Traditional Forum Knife???

Would you put up 2021 Bladeforum knife "Spring Street Barlow" for a trade?

• Yes, why not?

Votes: 25 43.1%
  • No, why would you?

Votes: 33 56.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
And then you could sell THAT knife for $300 . . . and never be accused of flipping your BF Knife for a $200 profit.

And then the dude to whom you traded the BF knife could also sell it for $300 . . . and never be accused of violating "the Gentlemen's Agreement" either, because he got it on the secondary market for a $300 knife.

A Win-Win for everyone!!! 🥳

No.

Okay, but what I wrote expressed my opinion of Flipping in general, not the Forum knife. The only mention I made of the Forum knife was that the organizers of this year's Forum knife took steps to minimize opportunism. Again, I think this is entirely reasonable. And the only reason I even mentioned the Forum knife was that the OP's question specifically mentioned it.

We've been asked (quite reasonably, I think) to let this year's Forum knife process rest in peace. I don't think anything I wrote could be construed as commentary on this year's Forum knife process.
I think you are missing the point of my message…I too am talking in broader terms and state so explicitly BUT given this thread is focused on the BF Barlow, we can’t divorce ourselves completely from that fact. My objection, and it was mild, was with your premise that the purchaser has nothing to do with creating the “climate” surrounding the knife. If you are buying knives from drops, you are not Bob or Susie Q public who go to Wally World to buy a readily available Buck, Case, SAK, or some techno-SWAT inspired imported black knife…you are instead somebody who follows and likely participates on BF, AAPK, Facebook, or some other forum where knives become hyped. As I stated WE create the hype and that hype creates desire. When desire is greater than the available supply, the flippers pounce.

I think the main issue lies in that some people see the Forum Knife as "just any other GEC knife"... it is not.
It was created to represent something much more than that, and some of us value that more than money or another knife.
So maybe you can understand why we have strong opinions about the people that buy this knife with other intentions and are not willing to follow the agreement.

Your legally bought property is yours to do with as you see fit. I have sold several AAPK GEC knives in the past, knives that were smaller than what I like or ones that I just wanted to move one. I CHOSE to sell them for what I paid for them (covering postage both times) - that was my choice and my business. I have sold two Blade Forums Porch knives in the past, one I would sell again and one I wish I had kept - sold them both for what I had in them, but again that was what I wanted to do. No one else has a legal or moral right to tell you what to do, with what you own, with the money you bought and paid for it with. The one exception to that is when you bought something and AGREED to only sell it for what you had in it (we did that with the BUCK Porch Knife in 2018) - I think you should follow any extra agreement you made. That’s my two cents worth from my perspective. If you want to trade your knife for another that is also your business. I traded my issue knife (an Automatic Benchmade) from Iraq for a GEC Krack-A-Jack six or seven years ago - some folks would never part with a knife like that - but I could care less about modern knives; it was a tool that served its purpose and then its usefulness was over to me. I love my Krack-A-Jack jackknife. OH

It might be wise just to hold off on any trade for a bit — there's no real rush to get a different knife in hand. I think part of what makes some of these previous knives so desirable is simply their rarity and the fact that you know it is extremely difficult to obtain them. I don't mean to undermine your taste or desire here, but I think this "retroactive fomo" can compound and exponentially increase one's desire for an item. We are still in the nascency of this beautiful creation and I think the rarity and specialness of the knife may not have fully kicked in yet.

Several members have mentioned their regret at selling a special item and it's honestly a feeling that can quite literally haunt you, almost causing physical pain for your previous blunder. So maybe just take some time here. Give yourself a few months just to consider the field — you have nothing to lose as the knife will only be gaining value and community desire in that time. Let it really sink in just how amazing this knife is when in late February you see a rare photo of the 2021 Bladeforums Knife with its sawcut hemlock bone handles (only knife to ever have these), its unique and exquisitely designed and executed bolsters (again, only knife with bolsters of this design), and its big and beautiful clip point blade with the 'BLADE FORUMS' tang stamp proudly on display.

Take your time with this decision; there's really no need to rush.

Your legally bought property is yours to do with as you see fit. I have sold several AAPK GEC knives in the past, knives that were smaller than what I like or ones that I just wanted to move one. I CHOSE to sell them for what I paid for them (covering postage both times) - that was my choice and my business. I have sold two Blade Forums Porch knives in the past, one I would sell again and one I wish I had kept - sold them both for what I had in them, but again that was what I wanted to do. No one else has a legal or moral right to tell you what to do, with what you own, with the money you bought and paid for it with. The one exception to that is when you bought something and AGREED to only sell it for what you had in it (we did that with the BUCK Porch Knife in 2018) - I think you should follow any extra agreement you made. That’s my two cents worth from my perspective. If you want to trade your knife for another that is also your business. I traded my issue knife (an Automatic Benchmade) from Iraq for a GEC Krack-A-Jack six or seven years ago - some folks would never part with a knife like that - but I could care less about modern knives; it was a tool that served its purpose and then its usefulness was over to me. I love my Krack-A-Jack jackknife. OH

I love your Crack-A-Jack too... I have knife envy. 😁

Lol, same here. Is this the right thread to ask OH if he wants to trade K-A-J for my forum knife? 🤔🤣

Someone has mentioned already above that these things happen with knives, watches, motorcycles, etc. It is a matter of each ones tastes and preference. As I mentioned, it is not because I don't want the BF knife, far from it. I feel I may have to sacrifice the BF knife to have an attempt at acquiring what I would like to get.
Funny you should mention motorcycles..... this reminded me of my 08 Road King..... a retired police bike. I was told that HD sells their motorcycles to police departments at a fairly heavily discounted price.... with the agreement that when the police department "retires" the bike, they can only be sold back to a HD dealer. The dealer is then free to de-commission it, and sell it at current market value.

The principle is much the same, IMHO....

But, also in my view, if someone has bought something legitimately, it's his to do with as he wishes. He didn't create the climate that surrounds certain aspects of the hobby. Name calling doesn't change the laws of supply and demand.

There is still the matter of the Gentlemen's Agreement..
JohnDF JohnDF has it correct. In a NORMAL GEC drop/purchase this would be true. The Forum Knife is not a normal GEC purchase. It is made available at a discounted price, and the gentlemen's agreement is that it won't be sold/traded for profit. I think that is the part you are missing.

Before you do something you'll likely regret, take a moment and just enjoy the marvel that is the BFC forum knife. Roll it around in your hands. Examine the bone covers under different light conditions. Work the knife open and close a few times and listen to her walk and talk. If after all that you still want to let her go, no one will stop you. If anything you'll have a mob of people knocking on your door for the opportunity to own this fine tool.

JohnDF JohnDF has it correct. In a NORMAL GEC drop/purchase this would be true. The Forum Knife is not a normal GEC purchase. It is made available at a discounted price, and the gentlemen's agreement is that it won't be sold/traded for profit. I think that is the part you are missing.

I think you are missing the point of my message…I too am talking in broader terms and state so explicitly BUT given this thread is focused on the BF Barlow, we can’t divorce ourselves completely from that fact. My objection, and it was mild, was with your premise that the purchaser has nothing to do with creating the “climate” surrounding the knife. If you are buying knives from drops, you are not Bob or Susie Q public who go to Wally World to buy a readily available Buck, Case, SAK, or some techno-SWAT inspired imported black knife…you are instead somebody who follows and likely participates on BF, AAPK, Facebook, or some other forum where knives become hyped. As I stated WE create the hype and that hype creates desire. When desire is greater than the available supply, the flippers pounce.

Regardless of how you two want to discuss the question, my answer, my own opinion, stands as written. I am not missing anything. I was addressing the Flipper question in general. I do not want my words to once again start a silly squabble related to the Forum knife.

Once again, I am and was addressing the Flipper question in general. I can frame my argument any way I please. And what pleases me is to separate the Forum knife and all its attendant issues from the broader question of Flipping.

Leave it alone. Please.

I'm still unclear on what trading for profit means. Leaving out CRKs or customs, etc. which are clearly trading for profit. If we stick to GECs, I don't understand how trading the forum knife for a rare TC or NF barlow that also only cost $100 new would be trading for profit. Maybe it isn't, and I'm missing something.

Regardless of how you two want to discuss the question, my answer, my own opinion, stands as written. I am not missing anything. I was addressing the Flipper question in general. I do not want my words to once again start a silly squabble related to the Forum knife.

Once again, I am and was addressing the Flipper question in general. I can frame my argument any way I please. And what pleases me is to separate the Forum knife and all its attendant issues from the broader question of Flipping.

Leave it alone. Please.

There is certainly a misunderstanding here. If I may be an interlocutor here, Markeologist Markeologist is simply propositioning that perhaps the culprit is not simply "THE EVIL FLIPPER", but that buyers who willing hype up a product and purchase it at extraordinary prices are doing so at the detriment to themselves and others in the community. He is positing that the situation is slightly more complex than you suggested in your original quote.

There is certainly a misunderstanding here. If I may be an interlocutor here, Markeologist Markeologist is simply propositioning that perhaps the culprit is not simply "THE EVIL FLIPPER", but that buyers who willing hype up a product and purchase it at extraordinary prices are doing so at the detriment to themselves and others in the community. He is positing that the situation is slightly more complex than you suggested in your original quote.

The misunderstanding is that nobody, apparently, read the post they are reacting to. I didn't write that the problem was THE EVIL FLIPPER. I wrote that the problem was a business practice that creates demand that outstrips availability.

I don't know how to put it any more plainly. I have no problem with anyone selling a knife that they own. Flipping, to me, is just a non-issue.

The Flipping issue boils down to people feeling that they can't buy something they want, when they want it, and at the price they want to pay. The result is name calling and posturing. Does this seem even remotely civilized? Knives are just things. Is it really worth all this angst?

Enough of this. I'll leave the rest of the discussion to you all.

I didn't write that the problem was THE EVIL FLIPPER.

The culprit, of course, is THE EVIL FLIPPER.

This you?

Okay, but what I wrote expressed my opinion of Flipping in general, not the Forum knife. The only mention I made of the Forum knife was that the organizers of this year's Forum knife took steps to minimize opportunism.

Here was your first reply after Markeologist Markeologist made the point that I just further explained above. This part that you wrote was very confusing because it really has nothing to do with the point he was trying to make at all.

I don't know how to put it any more plainly. I have no problem with anyone selling a knife that they own. Flipping, to me, is just a non-issue.

This also has nothing to do with the point he was making. Which, honestly, was probably a little off-topic for the thread. However, he was not questioning whether you cared about flipping.

You're writing as if you're flustered right now, but there's really no reason to be. It really was a misunderstanding and there's no need to be offended or upset that you misunderstood his point.

This you?

Since the only way you can make your point is to quote fragments out of context, here's what I wrote:

In my opinion, the Flipper thing is a result of business practices that create demand that outstrips availability.

A knife is 'dropped' in such a way as to make it very difficult for the average person to buy one. There's a big demand created by buzz ahead of time, there are a limited number available, loads of pictures showing off the latest acquisition. More and more people want one. Then BANG! They start showing up on auction sites and internet classifieds, and they are priced at ridiculous prices. That, in itself, excludes people.

The culprit, of course, is THE EVIL FLIPPER.

Nuts.

I understand that specifically in the case of the Forum knife that the people who did the work would want to limit opportunism, particularly since nobody seems to be profiting from this project. That's reasonable, in my view.

But, also in my view, if someone has bought something legitimately, it's his to do with as he wishes. He didn't create the climate that surrounds certain aspects of the hobby. Name calling doesn't change the laws of supply and demand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back