Would you use your own classy gents folder at a fancy restaurant?

@marchone I appreciate the humor... but this is just not true. Some meat, even well cooked, or simmered for hours, requires a sharp knife. Recently, I ate a delicious grilled squid, definitely tender, but I was happy to cut it with my knife. The meal was better for it. Fortunately, nobody called me out on my "lack of class". That would have meant a duel, immediately. Right after coffee and cognac, that is.

No cigars? (snaps fingers and points) "That man right there, officers!"

I think is quite funny how easily some people get their panties all up in a wad over things that are no big deal at all. Sucks to be so tightly wound as that. Same thing being played out in the nation's capital right now. Insane.

It’s not just politics. People in general are getting wound up tighter and tighter.

You see it in politics/government, education, retail, and relationships.

I find it disturbing that it is so prevalent in our government but, I find it equally disturbing to see it in our young people just as a general attitude about life.

Not an insult to the restaurant, please read all of my posts. I'm actually saying quite the opposite... What is unclear to you ? The world is wiggly as hell, I don't care much about it and I can find my way. And my pants lie well, warm and straight down as they should. Thanks for asking. Have a nice evening.

You thought my comment pertained to you? It did not.

Would I do it? No. Even with steak or grilled squid in Japanese restaurants with only chopsticks somehow the chef figured out how to prepare a meal and it not be an issue. If I ever had to? We I do have a knife with me 99.9% of the time so I"m good.

Do I feel I must stop anyone else from doing it? Not really. This is really a hoe your own garden deal.

As soon as you find the folks whop charge in and demand "Why" it's easy to ID where the real problem is.

@ZDHart No worries. It just happened so. My post was admittedly quite clear, so ... no worries.

I like to carry a set of steak knives when I go out for dinner.

Danny+Trejo+Screening+20th+Century+Fox+Machete+6Vlj2RRuVqOl.jpg

There is Flemmings Steakhouse not far from us, qualifies as "fine dining." Standard knives are typically serrated and ust adequate. When you first enter the restaurant there are approximately 18-20 custom steak knives in a glass case (was not able to see maker marks but several had ivory or stag handles and even a few showed some engraving). I was told if you ordered Kobe beef you could request one of the custom knives to eat with.

There is Flemmings Steakhouse not far from us, qualifies as "fine dining." Standard knives are typically serrated and ust adequate. When you first enter the restaurant there are approximately 18-20 custom steak knives in a glass case (was not able to see maker marks but several had ivory or stag handles and even a few showed some engraving). I was told if you ordered Kobe beef you could request one of the custom knives to eat with.

We've eaten at a few Flemings. Our best ribeye dinner, at a restaurant, was at the Flemings in North Tucson. Wonderful experience there. Very close second best, almost a tie, was perhaps Dominicks in Scottsdale.

Fleming’s around here is considered by most locals to the area to be overpriced. It’s mostly due to the fact there are more budget friendly local options here that are as good or better.

Fleming’s around here is considered by most locals to the area to be overpriced. It’s mostly due to the fact there are more budget friendly local options here that are as good or better.

All premium steak houses are most certainly overpriced. And the better reasonably-priced steak houses are usually just 'OK' - at that point, why go out for steak at all?

The best ribeyes I've ever eaten, by far, are prepared right here at home, with Costco Choice ribeyes. I usually don't bother with preparing sautéed mushrooms, sautéed spinach, and an iceberg wedge salad with bacon and crumbled blue cheese - all things that I do very much enjoy at a premium steak house like Flemings.

Buying a prepared Prime ribeye at a fine steak house is really just an extravagance - which is certainly fine, IF you're up for an extravagance. But it's not "the best" way to get the best ribeye.

They often do make a pretty dang great iceberg wedge lettuce salad, though, with a chilled fork to go with the bacon and blue cheese crumbles. :DAnd the sautéed spinach and sautéed mushrooms are very nice. Not to mention the warm sourdough dinner rolls... and all of that. If you want to spend the moolah.

Dang... I'm getting the urge to go to Flemings now! :eek: HaHa! :D

Last edited:
I don't like using any of my knives to cut on a porcelain plate. I have cut pizza in the delivery box, though.

Just something to think about... It's my understanding that much of the Kobe beef sold in the US in the past was "Kobe style" beef, and not really Kobe beef. There's some interesting articles about that whole thing in Forbes and other news sources.

I don't like using any of my knives to cut on a porcelain plate. I have cut pizza in the delivery box, though.

Just something to think about... It's my understanding that much of the Kobe beef sold in the US in the past was "Kobe style" beef, and not really Kobe beef. There's some interesting articles about that whole thing in Forbes and other news sources.

Scott... your preference is certainly your preference. But it's not difficult to slice a steak with a little care not to degrade the edge on the plate below the meat. And, in any event, just a little sharpening, if necessary, would make things just right once again. Knives are meant for cutting and for sharpening.

If one is fearful of using a "special" knife for cutting a piece of steak on a porcelain plate, just buy a less expensive knife and enjoy using the heck out of it! Sharpen it again and again, as needed. Throw it away when it's utility is exhausted and buy another one. No big deal.

As for Kobe beef... I don't buy it, but I'm sure I would enjoy it or even Kobe-style beef.

Speaking of premium beef, super-premium beef that is... have you ever tried Wagyu beef, cooked yourself, slice by slice, on a sizzling hot rock? Now, that's some seriously tender and tasty beef! :D

I worked at Chicago Chop House for a summer when in college.

I was always more offended when someone asked for A-1 Steak sauce than when someone pulled out a pocketknife.

I would have been offended also; Heinz 57 is much better.

Back