You Carry a Knife Because?

I carry the knife because I need to cut staff.
Why do I carry my second and sometimes the third knife is a totally different question

Remind me never to take a job with you :eek:!!!...........:D:thumbup:

Because
A) A prybar, screwdriver(s), utility knife, bottle opener, scissors, and awl won't fit into my pocket.
B) Nobody else carries those, but everybody always seems needs them.

Because I need to cut stuff and there's not always scissors near. Besides I rahter take sharp knife than dull scissors. Its also perhaps male acessory, good luck charm and a stress toy for me.

To quote a great man, may he rest in peace:

"Good reason?"

My good reason to carry a knife is that God gave me rather weak teeth and rudimentary claws in an evolutionary trade-off. The hairy-armed person who figured out how to put an edge on a suitable rock made it possible for us to be recognizably human in the first place. I wear a wristwatch whether or not I have an appointment to keep, and I carry a pen and/or pencil because I am a literate person whether or not I have a specific writing task ahead of me, and I carry a knife because I am a human and not an ape.

A knife comes in handy for all sorts of random tasks that involve separating matter. Like cutting a string, or making a sandwich, or opening a package. It can also come in handy in an emergency, which need not involve a human assailant, and emergencies are by their nature unforseen, so one should carry a knife all the time.

And in a perfect world where nobody needed a weapon, I'd probaby carry a slightly larger knife, because it wouldn't scare people.

(For some longer thoughts in this direction, visit Daithi's essay at www.knives.com )

------------------
- JKM
www.chaicutlery.com
AKTI Member # SA00001

I grew up in a rural area, and it was just the norm that every boy had a pocket knife. If I had to narrow it down to a reason today, then I'd answer "utility".

Honestly, b/c I like the idea of having a knife on me when I need one. It's actually very rare that I need a knife (maybe once a week during work hours). Truth be told, I never really need a knife. I just think they're cool so I carry one. I sit at a desk all day and have a secretary that cuts open all my mail & packages. I truly don't need one and if I did, there's one sitting on my desk I can use. I like to have one and I like the idea of having it when I really want to use it.

I'll admit that it's a totally juvenile impulse, but I do it nonetheless. I guess that's a long way of saying that I carry one just b/c I think they're cool.

Because I usually find something that needs cutting everyday. Even if it is just opening the mail. ;)

Because
A) A prybar, screwdriver(s), utility knife, bottle opener, scissors, and awl won't fit into my pocket.
B) Nobody else carries those, but everybody always seems needs them.

That sounds like some of the things I like to keep on my person every day. They aren't always needed, but they are REALLY useful to have when they are needed. Of course it is also useful to have a flashlight, lighter, pliers, file, saw, tweezers & can opener.

With my most important EDC items I feel pretty well equipped:
Leatherman Wave
Victorinox Cybertool (now called Cybertool 34)
Nitecore D10
Peanut lighter

I will soon add a Widgy pry bar when they arrive - I have a Pico, Micro & Pocket version on the way.

There was a thread a while ago that referred to a news article about a woman with a scarf caught in an escalator - some people tried to help, but no one had a knife or scissors. So many people don't carry any useful tools and generally they don't need them, but when there is an unexpected need they find themselves without the simple pocket tool that would help them out of that situation. You can't expect to be equipped to handle every possible situation - but you can easily equip yourself to handle a pretty large range of likely situations. A SAK can be purchased for a fairly low price and can provide a decent range of useful tools and a flashlight can be cheap, small & light while being very useful - how hard would it be for most people to carry those two items?

I find myself surrounded by poorly prepared people - such a small percentage of people carry even a simple tool like a sharp knife! I think that useful tools like a SAK & Multitool should be allowed on planes too - I hate having to leave those behind when flying (I'm glad I don't fly often).

Because:
1. It's a family tradition, I come from 2 long lines of whittlers.
2. You just never know...
3. It compensates somewhat for my short...Uh...reach. Yeah, my short reach.;)

I'm one of those that doesn't really need a knife, but I want a knife. I very rarely am in a situation where I need a knife, but I like flipping it open, waving it off my pocket, and fondling it. I also like feeling more protected and more prepared than the average bear. It's not the most effective defensive tool that I'll usually have on me, but it does make me feel more secure. My Vic Cadet that I usually have on me could honestly handle any cutting task I've ever come up against, and it has more utility than my tactical-style folders, but I like a bigger blade for all sorts of reasons.

There was a thread a while ago that referred to a news article about a woman with a scarf caught in an escalator - some people tried to help, but no one had a knife or scissors. So many people don't carry any useful tools
I find myself surrounded by poorly prepared people - such a small percentage of people carry even a simple tool like a sharp knife! I think that useful tools like a SAK & Multitool should be allowed on planes too - I hate having to leave those behind when flying (I'm glad I don't fly often).

See, imagine yourself without a knife and you end up like that lady, man if I was a women my whole purse would be filled with dangerous tools. :)
I hate going into any institution that says NO Knives allowed etc.. of course I bring in what I brung regardless, am I being rebellious?? you better believe it, you cant tell me I'm not allowed to bring a pocket knife, or my Leatherman into an amusement park..

like you said, I try to stay away from places that want to strip my privileges. ie, courts, airports etc..

I always carry a knife - the reasons are endless - I don't think of it as a weapon but I would use it as one - I guess, if necessary - it's more of a tool and I agree with Cobra -> I like to - some days I'll carry more than one!!!!

Raised in the 50's I received my first pocket knife at 6 years old.
It was a right of passage for a boy back then,how else could I put my initials on a tree trunk? :p

Partly, the same reason I carry a gun- I can.

I use a knife every day, most often multiple times. Why doesn't everyone carry a knife? Because they would rather go find something to cut with when needed, I guess.

I was too young to remember exactly which knife was my first, but country folk are encouraged to keep one in a pocket as soon as you have a pocket.

I grew up in a rural area, and it was just the norm that every boy had a pocket knife. If I had to narrow it down to a reason today, then I'd answer "utility".

Ditto. In this dizzying age of technology, I find more validity in carrying and using a good knife, than blathering away on a Cell or mindlessly texting a useless communication. But that's just me. ;)

have you ever had that moment where you said "it'd be convenient to cut this with a knife right now" ... that's why i carry a knife

They come in handy for all manner of things -- picking teeth etc..

Back