Your favorite cheap knives?

More and more lately i've been buying expensive knives, I'm in love with anything Busse puts out but going through my collection of users, i've found two that I love, that would be considered cheap. My favorite mora has seen more camp use than any knife I own, and my rat izula has been through several lifetimes. What are your favorite cheap knives? I've got a total of probably 60 dollars invested in the two which is the price of a kydex sheath for the knives i've been into lately, and they have served me quite well.

morarat.jpg

I love to pick up the Schrade USA Delrin Old Timer series. They are priced very reasonably for what you get in a knife. However, I refuse to call them a "cheap" knife.:D

My favorites are the douk douk and case sodbuster jr. got them for 12 bucks each, and they are just great. Also can't forgwt swiss army knives, the soldier model with alox scales can be had for 20 bucks and is a great worker.

Rough Riders. I have about a dozen, none over $10, and all good. Some remarkably good.

Cold Steel Kudu is a damn good value. Beats the slightly more expensive Okapi it's copied from, which itself is pretty good, if rustic.

The current Case Mini Blackhorn can be had for about $10, and it's a fantastic economical pocketknife. Size, ergonomics and cutting ability make this a favorite.

Anyone have any experience with Buck's Bucklite Max folders? They would seem to be pretty good and economical knives, but I don't recall them getting mentioned much.

I guess mine would be Buck's 110 Founder's Edition (a Walmart tin-box special) that recently went for sale on amazon NIB for $14.95 and later for $20. You couldn't do better for that price.

For a knife with S30V steel I'd say the Buck Vantage Pro for $45. NIB

Im not big into spending alot of money at the moment and my cheaper favorites are,

boker trance with a custom orange g10 scale ~$40
boker subclaw ~$25
Vic Cadet In red alox~$25
CRKT G10 Drifter~$17
Opinel No.8 ~$7

those are the cheapest ive got at the moment

Several of my favourite users are rather inexpensive: Case Sodbuster (CV), Opinels, Becker Necker (with the paint stripped off and convexed), a bunch of Frosts and Eriksson Moras and other Scandinavian knives, SAKs, etc.

The most recent addition to the list is the Spyderco Tenacious, I was a bit hesitant to get one since they are made in Taiwan (stupid prejudice, I know), but I ordered a few for my store and ended up keeping one. I love it.

Victorinox, Byrd, Spyderco Tenacious/persistence, Buck Vantage series, (probably include opinel and Moras even though I dont own any)

SAK's, moras, Ka-bar, spyderco endura, kershaw JYD II CB.

I like the nicer stuff but some cheaper blade do too good of a job to not get mentioned.

Moras and Opinels. Cold Steel Bushman, Pocket Bushman, and CRKT Minimalist. I could keep going on, but......

Oh, I love my high quality cheap knives.... :thumbup:

Kershaw Skyline - $35
Buck Vantage Pro S30V - $40
Spyderco Tenacious - $30
Buck Vantage Select 420HC - $20
Byrd Raven G-10 - $19
Buck Rush - $21

...in that order. :)

Yup, high quality doesn't always mean a high price tag...

Some of my favorite bargains:

Case CV Sodbuster Jr. - picked up from a fellow forum member - $15
Large carbon steel Douk-Douk - ordered online - $12.50
Vic. Solo Alox - found on the 'bay - $18

By the way, all of these prices included shipping. ;)

Last edited:
Ontario RAT-1
Opinel 4, 6 & 9
Mora Clipper
Mora Craftsman

Of those the RAT-1 is the dearest at $25, the rest are around half that price or under.

Over the last couple of days I have given my KA-BAR Kukri Machete a workout and at $46 it was fairly cheap (cheaper than a Izula). It is great at chopping & batoning and beats anything else I own for fire prep. I doubt that any axe of a similar weight would outdo it for chopping and axes that are better would be much heavier than it.

For camping the KA-BAR Kukri and a Mora would be enough to handle almost any task and handle those tasks very well! That combo would cost under $60 and wouldn't easily be beat for any where near that money.

I'm kinda the same way, I've spent a couple grand on knives in the past few months, but the blades I've enjoyed beating on the most are the cheap ones like these $30 waki machetes...
various2008-2009118.jpg

$20 kukri with 12" flat ground blade, that I put a nice convex edge on.
various2008-2009063.jpg

$8 barlow that was handed down to me from my grandfather...
various2008-2009125.jpg

I also get a ton of use out of a set of Gil Hibben throwers that I of course use for throwing, but I found that they also take a good edge and make great beater/all purpose knives.:)

My inexpensive favorites are the Spyderco Tenacious, SAKs, and the A G Russell Woodswalker.

Back