Your newest addition:traditionals of course!

True. I like how the blades are very thin and set at a small negative angle to the frame. The choice of the long clip and Wharncliffe make for a versatile cutter and slicer, and being a single spring knife result in a thin, easily carried package. Personally, I would prefer a shorter frame, say 3 1/2” but that is a minor nit. It’s truly an under rated knife.

I have the exact same one being delivered on monday (natural micarta/possum skinner) via DLT .... my first GEC...I hope mine looks as good as yours :)

I have the exact same one being delivered on monday (natural micarta/possum skinner) via DLT .... my first GEC...I hope mine looks as good as yours :)
Mine had some leftover black marks from assembly. The will scrub off. After all the lubricant I used on the joints some will get into the micarta giving it a nice warm brown look. Today, after all was dry I rubbed it down again, the sanded it with fine grit to get a bit more surface friction then rubbed it with a damp cloth. The grain cane out more ad it has a better feel.

Great design and execution by GEC. I’m sure you will enjoy yours.

I too agree that a slightly smaller Possum or its 3 blade relative the Dixie would make for a FANTASTIC carry. The Dixie has an original and brilliant blade array: Turkish Clip, Wharncliffe and Drop-Point. The Possum's construction is high quality, mine has no rub or play or gaps, yet it has good W&T and the micarta is tough yet attractive, what more can you ask for?;)

Just coming back from my friend Gigi Sechi ( with a stop to drink an espresso :D )

48615809058_1525dd7035_z.jpg

Â

image.jpg
"nice" times 3.

What are they?

New old stock Camillus #18 serpentine jack, 3 7/8".
They are late production knives. A bit crude but great solid and very snappy little knives.

Michael

Edited to add: I removed that little bit of handle and liner for access to nail nick on the pen blade, after I dropped both blades some, into the blade well.

Last edited:
View attachment 1184886

New old stock Camillus #18 serpentine jack, 3 7/8".
They are late production knives. A bit crude but great solid and very snappy little knives.

Michael

Edited to add: I removed that little bit of handle and liner for access to nail nick on the pen blade, after I dropped both blades some, into the blade well.

They actually look kinda nice... are they bone or delrin, I wonder? Camillus used to make really nice knives... when you say they are NOS, do you know when they were made? Pretty good score, anyway....

Just received this GEC French Kate made in 2015 from the Drake Well Museum thanks to @Half/Stop for letting me know that they were there . This one is for my wife's small collection of Lady Leg knives . Ivory Acrylic .

Harry
I fish the Pithole Creek in upstate PA. Most people have never heard of the town of Pithole. Abandoned, of course, but I'be been there.

They actually look kinda nice... are they bone or delrin, I wonder? Camillus used to make really nice knives... when you say they are NOS, do you know when they were made? Pretty good score, anyway....

I figure these were very late production, made not long before Camillus closed up shop.

Both blades are noticeably bent towards pile side. I've got serious blade rub on both blades, and pronounced wear on the pile side of the pen's tang. With both blades closed there's quite a gap between pile side spring, liner, and scale at the pivot end. These gaps disappear with both blades opened. The scales are 'Plastag' = Delrin. There's enough movement of liners with the opening and closing of the blades that bone scales would not last on these knives.

The good things about the knife far outweigh the quirks. I love the one I'm using, it's easily my favourite knife.
I may take apart and fix the issues on the other two knives some day, and re handle them while I'm at it.

Michael

I figure these were very late production, made not long before Camillus closed up shop.

Both blades are noticeably bent towards pile side. I've got serious blade rub on both blades, and pronounced wear on the pile side of the pen's tang. With both blades closed there's quite a gap between pile side spring, liner, and scale at the pivot end. These gaps disappear with both blades opened. The scales are 'Plastag' = Delrin. There's enough movement of liners with the opening and closing of the blades that bone scales would not last on these knives.

The good things about the knife far outweigh the quirks. I love the one I'm using, it's easily my favourite knife.
I may take apart and fix the issues on the other two knives some day, and re handle them while I'm at it.

Michael
I've got one of those too. Nice knife despite the issues.
IMG_4729.JPG
IMG_4732.JPG

Thanks Jack!
IMG_20190825_142239.jpg

IMG_20190825_135653676.jpg
I've been meaning to ask someone that knows... is A. Wright not making the Hartshead barlows anymore? I love the lambfoot blade, and have looked online for them, but can't locate any for sale...

The stag on yours is fantastic... color me jealous! :D

Back