Your newest addition:traditionals of course!

Really happy with this Kissing Crane Eureka jack.
Supposedly a factory sample, has excellent Fit n Finish and the action is perfect.
The second cut stag handles are beautiful to boot. Price was right, super happy. :cool::thumbsup:
That does look nice. I recently got my first Kissing Crane barlow and I was very pleasantly surprised with its F&F. Is that your first Kissing Crane?

Really happy with this Kissing Crane Eureka jack.
Supposedly a factory sample, has excellent Fit n Finish and the action is perfect.
The second cut stag handles are beautiful to boot. Price was right, super happy. :cool::thumbsup:
I don't see what is "second" about that one! :thumbsup::cool:

My newest, from a gracious member here (thank you, Ernie!) in brilliant blue bone.

KlzI5Vr.jpg

The first of my two Case 6347 stockman knives arrived today. I am almost to the conclusion that the 47 pattern is the perfect size for my hand. They just feel right.
I have a couple of the 06247PEN knives that got me hooked on this size, so the step up to a 3 blade is a natural one. As much as I like the two blade version for its single spring slimness, this three blade, three spring version has a more substantial feel in hand. It feels like a working knife should.
The bone scales are very evenly matched in color, with the jigging nicely done.
The knife is very well made and finished. It's not flawless (what is?) but the 'flaws' are easily remedied. When closed, the spey blade sits too high, actually partially blocking the nail nick in the sheepfoot blade. Tweaking the kick on the spey should drop it down enough to solve that issue. While I'm doing that, I will likely remove the very oddly shaped hump on the spey, which will also aid in the emancipation of the sheepfoot nail nick.
Another "flaw" is that the main blade does not open far enough to have the spine of the clip blade at the same angle as the spine of the knife. This is purely an aesthetics issue for me. It is fully functional, and is perhaps exactly the way it was designed.
The only semi-serious imperfection is the blade grind on the sheepfoot.... which arguably should be the easiest one to get right. This one is good out to about 1/4" from the tip, where it takes a definite slight curve upward. I'm certain I can sharpen it out, but it will take some work.
As others have pointed out about this model, when Case went to the 3 spring version, in or around 1993, this enabled them to make a relatively slim stockman with NO krinking of blades to make them fit. Each of these blades is straight, and nestles almost perfectly within very close tolerances of each other.
The first pic is of the 06247 for comparison...
j0kl2z.jpg
ArTrEN2.jpg

JhpF9mx.jpg
p8Lt0KC.jpg

0TEjRFE.jpg
drqHVAO.jpg

Another "flaw" is that the main blade does not open far enough to have the spine of the clip blade at the same angle as the spine of the knife. This is purely an aesthetics issue for me. It is fully functional, and is perhaps exactly the way it was designed.

They are indeed designed that way. It’s kind of weird at first but you’ll probably get used to the way it feels.

They are indeed designed that way. It’s kind of weird at first but you’ll probably get used to the way it feels.
I think that is correct. I got my second one in yesterday, and it is the same angle. It's very much the same as the first one, with the exception of the nail nicks being shallower than the older one. The older one is a 2000 vintage, and the second one is a 2012. The second one came with some of the best edges I've had on a Case knife. Even being a 3 spring knife, this one is not quite as "fat" as the great old Schrade 8OT stockman. The Schrade is not quite 1/8" longer, and measures .555 thick at the center of the scales. The Case measures .535 at the center of the scales. Case accomplishes this by making the blades thinner than the Schrade.
Here's a pic of the first Case and the Schrade in hand, then a pic of the two Case knives open, to show the angle of the main blade to the spine. Both of these Case knives are very nicely made, fit and finish. Good stuff....
pEUuq2m.jpg
UkrmPwx.jpg

Merry Christmas!!! I had a wonderful bounty under the tree courtesy of my lovely wife. I have been saving my own pennies and added it to her Santa money.
I’ve been admiring the gunstock pattern for awhile.
I’ve been admiring stag for awhile.
I’ve been admiring brass bolsters for awhile.
I’ve been admiring Schatt and Morgan F&W for awhile.
I’ve been admiring the Trestle Pine Topper in old growth yellow ash for awhile (even though I read the extensive buyer beware reviews)

So these two made my Christmas list and they did not disappoint. I am a happy camper on both fronts. Both are keepers and will be users. I’ll write more about the Trestle Pine, maybe in the Gunstock thread. I’m so thankful I took the risk. The grinds looks like they were done by a drunken sailor, but the knife overall checks all my boxes. More later. The S&M is all class.

Cheers to my wonderful bride!

Last edited:
Merry Christmas!!! I had a wonderful bounty under the tree courtesy of my lovely wife. I have been saving my own pennies and added it to her Santa money.
I’ve been admiring the gunstock pattern for awhile.
I’ve been admiring stag for awhile.
I’ve been admiring brass bolsters for awhile.
I’ve been admiring Schatt and Morgan F&W for awhile.
I’ve been admiring the Trestle Pine Topper in old growth yellow ash for awhile (even though I read the extensive buyer beware reviews)

So these two made my Christmas list and they did not disappoint. I am a happy camper on both fronts. Both are keepers and will be users. I’ll write more about the Trestle Pine, maybe in the Gunstock thread. I’m so thankful I took the risk. The grinds looks like they were done by a drunken sailor, but the knife overall checks all my boxes. More later. The S&M is all class.

Cheers to my wonderful bride!

Beautiful stag!

JonMcD JonMcD I have drunken sailor grinds on a Queen too - but they don’t affect performance and I kinda like em. Reminds me it’s a hand made tool.

Bt6aksk.jpg

I totally agree. There is a charm to it that gives it a unique handmade effect. I’ve made a handful of fixed blades, so I’ve been the “drunken sailor” myself when trying my best to have even grinds.

Great looking lockback!

Back