Your Opinion of Sanrenmu Knives

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think this thread is really about knives. It's not even about intellectual properties.
I think it's about some people's fear of losing another industry that the US of A no longer have any comparative advantage.

But knife manufactoring isn't really a high-tech industry, is it? Why worry? Let the developing economies make knives for us. And we'll make laser-guided weapon systems for them.

I hear what your saying John, but at this point we're teets up as far as manufacturing in this country, unless the government that helped us get in this mess does an about face of sorts and puts its foot down and says "The US will be the the manufacturing center of the world"!.
Hell, they don't even care about driving down the workers pay rate here, not a wit.

Just don't see that happening.
I'm an avid fisherman, seen too many companies vow to manufacture in the state, you pay a premium for the product, then they jump over .... and you still pay a premium, while made in China. Happens over and over.

We make them popular and wanted, then they go over. Happens so often I've lost all faith in "only buy made in America".

It's getting old. Fool me once, shame on me ........

Remember, the US companies gave them the tech. Now, they are gonna use it to their advantage.

Once again, I didn't make the rules, nor do I have a say it seems.

The idea that manufacturing is dying in the US is a misconception. Manufacturing is alive and well. What feeds that perception, though, is that American manufacturing makes more things with less people than ever before, relative to how much it makes. This is an increase in productivity, and a great strength of American manufacturing.

John Smith & Bishop said it well. Let me add few things that I hope can be clarified.

Sanrenmu as the company (on their website) makes only SRM & Land. The seller on eBay that goes by sanrenmu.knife sells also Navy, Bee and other brands, and we don't know if the person is the company. These are only the known facts so far. Sanrenmu makes a lot of them similar to US, and other branded knife manufacturer. I recall some of them even look like Klotzi. Similar is not copying, as meant literally. If one make a copy, it'll be as close as possible to original, otherwise we don't have copier machine.

Other than most swappable Buck Nobleman & model 723, the rest are different enough. Someone mentioned they must have some R&D without which no quality can be consistently made without exact copying. With the assumption that they make similar knives, can any member tell me what branded knife is inspiring GB-763 other than the axis lock?

Can also anyone gives fact that Bee, Navy & Ganzo are made by Sanrenmu as company? When a post is about sanrenmu, my understanding is on knife with Sanrenmu as brand, including their Land series but nit Bee, Navy or Ganzo. I have been looking also for Land 910 but never got anyone selling ;)

I am not affiliated in any way, but here in my country, none of the branded knives are available without being inflated to 2-3 times he price you get them, with the exception of Victorinox, Wenger and Sanrenmu. It's due to import duty, being considered as hobby & luxury item. Also there are not many buyers, so any shop that stocks them (branded knives) covers the slow turn around with huge margin.

Last edited:
I love the controversy these knives seem to be making, its like a wave in the knife scene at the moment...I've had my 710 a couple weeks now and it aint left my persons, its a fantastic knife after I cleaned and lubed it up. But in reply to post #1 aint no way would I pay $40 when I paid $10 shipped!!! sounds like that vendor is marking the price up pretty bad. My 962 isn't imo on the same par as the 710 is, the fit is perfect but the finish on the micarta could have been better (but for the price i wont feel bad practicing a dremel texture job).

I dont think a day has gone by in a while where these knives haven't stirred someone up a bit :D

This Navy K-607 seems to be a pretty close copy of a Spyderco, 'Lil Temp.
K-607-1.jpg

img1907smallli1.jpg

@Jill Jackson,

Navy is not Sanrenmu IMHO. Can anyone point to a more conclusive site or other info that Sanrenmu is making them too? There are more than one knife maker in China I tend to believe. We're talking about Sanrenmu, so let's just focus on it (SRM & Land)

@Robert,
me too :D

Chris "Anagarika";8645316 said:
@Jill Jackson,

Navy is not Sanrenmu IMHO. Can anyone point to a more conclusive site or other info that Sanrenmu is making them too? There are more than one knife maker in China I tend to believe. We're talking about Sanrenmu, so let's just focus on it (SRM & Land)

@Robert,
me too :D

I never said it was or wasn't Sanrenmu.
And here's another of their close copies.
K-631-1.jpg

Last edited:
That's exactly how I feel about them. I could care less for a company who steals design's to make money.

I'll take my buck's, spyderco's, benchmade's, and kershaw's any day before I'll carry one of their 12$ dollar knives.

With so many great company's selling decent quality knives for less these days, there's no reason I would ever have to buy and support a company who condones and profits from design theft.

While a company's name is important, and branding is important to many Americans, and likely others, especially when buying something expensive, it's not the be all and end all.

If someone would produce a good quality knife that looks like the Strider SnG, at a decent price point, I'd be in for one, most likely. Forget about the design stuff. If that company would hook up with Strider to put out a very close version of Strider's stuff, as Buck didn't do (too pricey for a folder that doesn't even come with torx screws, just rivets, and dicey liner locks to boot), it probably wouldn't hurt Strider at all, make them some money, and be done with it. Of course, the Strider knives that I saw at the Chicago Knife Expo a couple of days ago were just awesome. And the various kinds of finishing that I saw were excellent. And that stuff is Strider's. However, if they were to licence an SnG with a simple stonewash finished blade and G10 handles, would that really hurt them? I doubt it.

As for me, the little Sanrenmu 710 that I bought is a nifty little knife, flicks open easily, and is a great little user. The fit and finish are excellent.

All the non-knife nuts I've showed it to have liked it. What's not to like?

And yes, I carry it. Not every day. Too many others to carry !!

Typical other knives for me when I'm carrying the 710? Perhaps a shortened Ripple 2, a Stubby Razel folder, and Benchmade 930 or 910, and just maybe a Zero Tolerance 0300 or 0400.

Too many? Depends on where I'm going and what I'm doing. One knife per pocket :D And that little stainless steel Sanrenmu 710 fits right in there. :) Here's a Q & D of mine:

IMGP0216.jpg

About the design of this 710, you should avail yourself of the search button and check out SRT's indepth analysis of that vs. another well-known knife.

The idea that manufacturing is dying in the US is a misconception. Manufacturing is alive and well. What feeds that perception, though, is that American manufacturing makes more things with less people than ever before, relative to how much it makes. This is an increase in productivity, and a great strength of American manufacturing.

How true. And those workers who made life so difficult for manufacturers by striking and demanding unreasonable this and that have made themselves very expendable in the process. Upgrades in technology help manufacturers do more with fewer people. Thus the American competitive advantage can survive and flourish. If only the tax structure wouldn't push those manufacturers to offshore production. That and all the environmentalist discrimination against American producers.

Folks, we're in a pickle...

STR

Knifemaker/Moderator
Navy knives are not the same quality as SRM or Bee and that kind of tells me right there that they are not the same company. I've bought the Bee L05-1 and was so impressed with it that I bought a second one. Its not a bad knife and every bit what I'd expect to see for $50. Actually its better overall to me than the Phat Bob by Kabar so I'll just say $40 to $60 to cover the range this one fits in in my opinion. I also bought the L03. These are nice knives which later led me to purchase the L04 and the L01 which are both also not bad for the money at all. I still like the L05 model best from Bee. I don't think this thread is about this line of knives or Navy though. This is about Sanrenmu but since someone brought it up and at least its about knives and not TV's I'll just say this last thing on my mind..

As for that Lil Temp clone. The real deal from Spyderco has nested liners. The copy does not but has full liners the same size as the scales flushed up nice as I recall which would make new scale replacements easier than on the Spyderco and the cut out milled like handle is not on the copy either. The blade stock is thinner by quite a bit on the copy also. There are those in the mixed martial arts arena that still want those Lil Temp knives and the Gunting, Lapu Lapu type knives. I believe those knives are sought by these people and perhaps they even have something to do with them being copied enough to warrant someone making them and since Spyderco quit offering them well, you can see someone still thinks there is a market for them.

I've seen that clone Lil Temp and must say the knife was not bad but not as finished as the Bee or SRM knives. I've also seen that Lapu Lapu model that has been sent to me on a few occasions because people hate the pocket clip. Those are not bad knives either but personally they seem a bit overpriced compared to what you can get from SRM or Bee. For one the clone Lil Temp had sharp edges all along the insides of the liners. Ironically the lock up on it was better than my NIB Para Military and had no vertical up and down play unlike my brand new $122 plus shipping Para still has to this day which was just how it shipped. (old model not the new Para 2) What really stood out to me on the Navy Lil Temp clone is when you set the knife down so it set on the spine when closed. I'm not talking laying the knife down flat. I'm talking setting it so its on the spine and when you do this one side was not flush or the same height as the other so it set kind of tilted and not flat. This is a tell for off tolerances so no they are not the same level of quality from Navy that you get from SRM or BEE based on what I see here.

I bought one of those 962 knives that just came also since we are talking now about all these brands. I'm not impressed really. For one it was dirty, gummy and needed cleaned to even work right. Another, it had very rough action even after cleaning, the blade will not get sharp to save me, and the liners and scales do not match up. Overall quality is not that great but it does lock up fine. Personally from my stand point at this time I'd say if you buy SRM or Bee you will probably be just fine but if you buy Navy or even some of the ones that say Land I can't say I see them as being in the same league as the SRM or Bee. Some things stand out to me to indicate they are made elsewhere. A couple of the Navy knives that arrived here which were the K-502 and K-505 are exactly what we think of when we say cheesy cheap China made crap because thats what they are. Junk! The only other SRM I have bought now other than the 710s and the 939 models is the AO-H02 which is a slip joint one hand opening type knife sort of on the same lines as the Spyderco UK PK but not in the same league. Save your money if you are looking at that one. Or at least thats my thoughts on it based on the one I've seen.

Do these Shamwowmoo knives show any promise as urinal cakes?

I'm thinking of testing this if anyone wants to contribute.

What?

You felt you justified yourself and I really didn't care anymore.

My last statement was about the knives. It is my opinion, they make me want to piss on them for all the un-originality it took to basically copy knife designs and catalog names from great American products.

It is my opinion about the knives, not the people who buy them.

I never said it was or wasn't Sanrenmu.
And here's another of their close copies.
K-631-1.jpg

But the discussion is about Sanrenmu, isn't it? Or we're hitting generalization towards all blatant rip off by many companies in anywhere even by putting fake brand? I mentioned on other thread that those rip off that has Banchmade, etc stamped on them are not worth any discussion due to the crap quality.

@Brennan,

Can you tell me what knife sanrenmu GB-763 is a copy if? I've been searching and not finding any clue

What?

You felt you justified yourself and I really didn't care anymore.

My last statement was about the knives. It is my opinion, they make me want to piss on them for all the un-originality it took to basically copy knife designs and catalog names from great American products.

It is my opinion about the knives, not the people who buy them.

You're still spamming an otherwise very good thread, and quite literally, trying to start pissing matches.

(had to say it)

Either way, you've established your opinion, somehow without ever touching the knives, and you're polluting the conversation from people who DO own the knives.

I personally don't think it really matters they are ripping off designs, because we will never see an earnest "CRK or SRM?" thread popping up. Ever.

If anything, it can help CRK sales, just because it's generating more interest. So take your peeing on knife posts to Whine and Cheese, which is where they are more than welcome, and I'm sure others will post in concurrence. Let the real conversations happen here.

If you feel posting about peeing on the knives is in the spirit of Bladeforums, have at it. Good luck making friends here.

You're still spamming an otherwise very good thread, and quite literally, trying to start pissing matches.

(had to say it)

Either way, you've established your opinion, somehow without ever touching the knives, and you're polluting the conversation from people who DO own the knives.

I personally don't think it really matters they are ripping off designs, because we will never see an earnest "CRK or SRM?" thread popping up. Ever.

If anything, it can help CRK sales, just because it's generating more interest. So take your peeing on knife posts to Whine and Cheese, which is where they are more than welcome, and I'm sure others will post in concurrence. Let the real conversations happen here.

If you feel posting about peeing on the knives is in the spirit of Bladeforums, have at it. Good luck making friends here.

Already have made friends here.

I want to piss on these knives, deal with it.

If not, move to a country where censorship is looked upon favorably.

I don't agree with you, be a man and let it go.

Chris "Anagarika";8645760 said:
But the discussion is about Sanrenmu, isn't it? Or we're hitting generalization towards all blatant rip off by many companies in anywhere even by putting fake brand? I mentioned on other thread that those rip off that has Banchmade, etc stamped on them are not worth any discussion due to the crap quality.

@Brennan,

Can you tell me what knife sanrenmu GB-763 is a copy if? I've been searching and not finding any clue

Never saw one so I don't know.

Why? Did they have an original idea and you feel I need to give them credit for it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Native XF ad, Below bottom BC