Attention 2019 Forum knife question thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man I hope so. It's such a great knife, I don't want to have to return it.

I understand there can be some variances in wood, but this is drastic enough it never should of left the factory.

Man I hope so. It's such a great knife, I don't want to have to return it.

I understand there can be some variances in wood, but this is drastic enough it never should of left the factory.

knife_fan knife_fan I have used GECs warranty before. And they made a crooked knife perfectly centered. If you scour the 77 Barlow threads, there was a guy who broke a bone cover, and they recovered that side of the knife in the current run's cover. They honor the warranty, you'll be taken care of, as blackwood and ebony are "around" ;)

Mine was waiting patiently in my mailbox when I got back in town this afternoon. Very nice knife...
Observations:
Mine came pretty dull. Would just barely begin to cut printer paper. Easily remedied.
This is a w i d e knife when closed. Mine measures exactly 1.3" from spine of knife to spine of blade, and the tip of the blade just barely makes it into the blade well. Also easily remedied, if I decide to. The "pinchable" aspect is very nice... I don't want to lose that.
The wood is wonderful. The pile side on mine reminds me of Macassar Ebony, with dark brown grain showing. Mark side has a little of that, but is mostly black.
I'm impressed with it, blade centering and pull are spot on, IMHO.
Many heartfelt thanks to those that "arranged" this Forum Knife build. Great job, all around.

ifUVo3.jpg
ifUQBF.jpg

ifUJIr.jpg

Kicking myself for not getting one.

If anyone that ended up with an extra wants to part with it, please send me a pm.

Last edited:
I noticed the long pull is very narrow on these two 2019 Blade Forum knives. There is barely enough room to get my nail in there to get a good grip. Good thing these blades are so easily pinchable.
That's why I voted for the regular long pull. But it is easy to pinch. And the best action of any of my knives, I think.

I noticed the long pull is very narrow on these two 2019 Blade Forum knives. There is barely enough room to get my nail in there to get a good grip. Good thing these blades are so easily pinchable.

there is a lot of blade for purchase pinchingwise. in fact theres so much, ive thought about grinding the kick away a little just so the blade sits in the well a bit more

That's why I voted for the regular long pull. But it is easy to pinch. And the best action of any of my knives, I think.
GEC has done much wider matchstrike long pulls. I compared this one to the matchstrike long pull on my 77 NF Barlow and this 2019 BF version is visibly less wide. I’ll take some pictures later to show the difference. I’m surprised nobody has mentioned it. I think it was a mistake that GEC simply missed. There is no way it was supposed to be this narrow.

GEC has done much wider matchstrike long pulls. I compared this one to the matchstrike long pull on my 77 NF Barlow and this 2019 BF version is visibly less wide. I’ll take some pictures later to show the difference. I’m surprised nobody has mentioned it. I think it was a mistake that GEC simply missed. There is no way it was supposed to be this narrow.
I guess I didn't notice it because I've just been pinching the blade open every time. Let's give it a try...
...Yep. I can get my thumbnail in the pull just fine, but I do have very thin nails. ;)

there is a lot of blade for purchase pinchingwise. in fact theres so much, ive thought about grinding the kick away a little just so the blade sits in the well a bit more
I generally prefer lower profile blades, and when I saw the in-progress pictures on the GEC website, I figured I'd probably want to grind the kick. Now that I have it in hand, I think I'll wait. The tall blade seems to fit the style of a Rope Knife, and the tip is low enough in the well not to catch threads in my pocket.

I think that nail pull is a compromise!! It holds a match against the strike better than a wide nick!
Not the best compromise unless you have a lot of matches to strike!! The little strike teeth nick my thick nails!!:mad: I still like the knife!!:D

I don't regret being a good samaritan at the time and giving up my spot to another member who missed out on the pre-ordering but these turned out even better looking than I imagined. In the off chance that someone needs to part with one please keep me in mind.

So, what do you get if you grind a bit off the kick?

QJZmQjH.jpg

User with the grind, obviously is on the right.
Keeper on the left saw the first light of day since it left GEC then right back in the tube.

Here's the ground kick.

zasP99o.jpg

There's a lot of room to grind even more off the kick but I wanted to keep most of the appeal of the original design.

QJZmQjH.jpg

Keeper on the left saw the first light of day since it left GEC then right back in the tube.

Here's the ground kick.

zasP99o.jpg

There's a lot of room to grind even more off the kick but I wanted to keep most of the appeal of the original design.
How much did it lower the spring in the closed position?

MolokaiRider MolokaiRider ...my new range of exotic canned luncheon meats will soon be available....just gotta bribe some officials to get round those pesky endangered species laws...The Gourmet Range will include

Sporpoise
Speal
Spigeon
Spouse ...yum yum...tasty little morsels..
Sprhinocerous.(limited seasonal edition availibility subject to extinction)...

QJZmQjH.jpg

Here's the ground kick.

zasP99o.jpg

Looks good. Thanks for the pictures.

1. MolokaiRider MolokaiRider ...my new range of exotic canned luncheon meats will soon be available....just gotta bribe some officials to get round those pesky endangered species laws...The Gourmet Range will include
Sporpoise
Speal
Spigeon
Spouse ...yum yum...tasty little morsels..
Sprhinocerous.(limited seasonal edition availibility subject to extinction)...

Sounds piquant! With the obligatory dash of 1369 grams of sodium I hope!

I don't regret being a good samaritan at the time and giving up my spot to another member who missed out on the pre-ordering but these turned out even better looking than I imagined. In the off chance that someone needs to part with one please keep me in mind.

Signalprick Signalprick - You have a PM. Don't ask any questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back