2019 GEC Rendezvous August 8th, 9th,10th

To all,

Thanks to all for another great year at the show. Thought I was not going to be able to attend due to the foot surgery but it healed enough to make it. It came down to dealing with the swelling and limping here or there. I chose there. Ha. 9th year in a row. It was great to see all of you and I had a wonderful time. Met some newcomers too. A special thanks to those that took their children to the show. They are our future. Many of you have taught me about traditional knives over the years and I am thankful for that. I still have so much to learn. I must give due praise to the Howard family for doing this. Bill pursued his goal and I think he has finally met it. Let's hope the tradition carries on for decades. Also a big thank you to those that set up and sold some knives outside. I was lucky enough to obtain some GEC's that I did not have.
My purchases made it to Texas late yesterday and I just got them unboxed. Now I'm putting them back in the box. Weekend cleaning and oiling is on the schedule.
Lastly I will close with this - Plan safety into everything you do. Accidents are preventable with proper planning.

Thanks all,

Will

Here's my #74 in stainless and smooth natural bone. I was VERY happy and VERY excited to get a non-"s" model:

kFbub41l.jpg

I wanted this knife because I LOVE the #74 Mustang in stainless and primitive bone from the 2016 Rendezvous, and I used it for a while, but now I've decided not to use my Rendezvous Specials. So this one will be a user replacement for that older one. Funny thing is, they're bone basically parts knives from the same run.

Also, they had some #65 Ben Hogan Black Gold Perylic parts knives that are from the same parts as the one I've had since 2013!

I don't love that they were including both "s" and non "s" models in the same production counts. I also felt that there were a large percentage of "s" knives this year. One of the clerks even told me they looked at a batch of #47 viper parts aka SFA knives in inspection and they had some slight issues that were fixable but they decided (this is probably not a direct quote but close to it) "just mark them 's' models".

Good to meet and talk with you Will!

To all,

Thanks to all for another great year at the show. Thought I was not going to be able to attend due to the foot surgery but it healed enough to make it. It came down to dealing with the swelling and limping here or there. I chose there. Ha. 9th year in a row. It was great to see all of you and I had a wonderful time. Met some newcomers too. A special thanks to those that took their children to the show. They are our future. Many of you have taught me about traditional knives over the years and I am thankful for that. I still have so much to learn. I must give due praise to the Howard family for doing this. Bill pursued his goal and I think he has finally met it. Let's hope the tradition carries on for decades. Also a big thank you to those that set up and sold some knives outside. I was lucky enough to obtain some GEC's that I did not have.
My purchases made it to Texas late yesterday and I just got them unboxed. Now I'm putting them back in the box. Weekend cleaning and oiling is on the schedule.
Lastly I will close with this - Plan safety into everything you do. Accidents are preventable with proper planning.

Thanks all,

Will
It was great to see you there Will .

Harry

Here's my #74 in stainless and smooth natural bone. I was VERY happy and VERY excited to get a non-"s" model:

kFbub41l.jpg

I wanted this knife because I LOVE the #74 Mustang in stainless and primitive bone from the 2016 Rendezvous, and I used it for a while, but now I've decided not to use my Rendezvous Specials. So this one will be a user replacement for that older one. Funny thing is, they're bone basically parts knives from the same run.

Also, they had some #65 Ben Hogan Black Gold Perylic parts knives that are from the same parts as the one I've had since 2013!

I don't love that they were including both "s" and non "s" models in the same production counts. I also felt that there were a large percentage of "s" knives this year. One of the clerks even told me they looked at a batch of #47 viper parts aka SFA knives in inspection and they had some slight issues that were fixable but they decided (this is probably not a direct quote but close to it) "just mark them 's' models".

That's a dang good looking knife !!!!!!!

kFbub41l.jpg

I thought the same thing about the “s” knives being included in the counts as the non “s” versions when I saw your knife. I had just assumed they would be counted differently, but then I thought about it and it makes perfect sense that they would be counted the same. The count is for the number of knives with the same frame same blade same year and same covers. They made 13 of them, just because they saw some blemishes in a few of them doesn’t change the fact that they made 13 of them, I got one of the “s” ones because I wanted to try out stainless, but I have to tell you that it is easily has some of the finest construction on a GEC knife I’ve seen. Covers fit perfectly, no gaps, everything’s smooth, perfect action, it’s nice. I’d take an “s” version any day from here on out, the only difference is they happened to see the error on that knife that day, there are plenty that get through, I saw a different model that I pointed out to them that had a pretty good pin crack all the way to the bolster. She also didn’t tell you that putting the s’s on those vipers freed up enough time to make the 13 stainless 74’s in natural smooth white bone.

To all,

Thanks all,

Will

Good to see you again this year Will. Fun was had seeing familiar faces as well as new ones. Always enjoy those few days at the rendezvous, only problem is it goes too quick. Love the frenzy of the early Thursday mornings lining up two and a half hours before the doors open wondering about what type of knife will be this years rendezvous special. As years go on and more and more people are getting interested in the knives GEC are making and if you want to be in with a chance to get a rendezvous knife on the first day, you will soon have to start lining up on the Wednesday afternoon.......... See you all next year!

Glad to see your knee is responding well to the surgery John. Take it slow, don’t try and rush the process of healing.

Russell

Thanks for asking Jack, surgery was 8/1, only spent 3 days on crutches, I'm going through PT and it's slowly getting better, able to walk 1/2 mile with moderate pain, supposed to return to work end of Sept. My heads not so good, sore from Donna smacking me upside it for making her miss the Rendezvous.

Good to hear you are on the mend! As Randy so eloquently put on facebook, 51 weeks to Rendezvous time.

I've been enjoying this thread. Say, was there any talk or speculation if GEC will offer the lambfoot blade in another pattern, like a 47, in the near or distant future? :)

Back