2021 GEC 05 Keychain knife

Ok then. Someone will probably say this stag is awesome. I was disappointed that the stag didn't match in color or pattern. Also, the proud tip.

2jETxZd.jpg

JqGIcdU.jpg

SXEvBPT.jpg

Ks9XHzg.jpg
šŸ¤” Pin-hammer-fister has been replaced by Proud-tiper (see 89s). šŸ¤“
Your 05 is def not the worst I have seen, yet until now only one would really please me.

The keychain knife is so small, I don't think you can fit a 'main' blade to the frame. It is smaller than 06.

Yeah - the 2-1/2" length includes the backspring tail extension with that little key-ring hole in it. So it's a little one for sure.

So Iā€™ll start with saying that I enjoy the knife I received. The craftsmanship is what I would expect of GEC. However the price point, the more I think about it, seems to be out of control. I would guess this knife averaged somewhere between 70-85 bucks, if thatā€™s the fair price they should be charging triple what they do for their larger knives. This thing is teeny tiny, a literal keychain novelty.

Before someone steps in and tries to inform me on an economics lessonā€¦letā€™s just say this is my shot from the heart opinion. This thing is a novelty keychain. I paid it, so the blame is equally on me, but 80 dollars for this is pretty crazy. Even the low end of high 60s seems unreasonable.

Again I completely understand they are selling out. I think we have all just had the wool pulled over our eyes, even if GEC didnā€™t intend that. I would love to know the average profit margin on these for GEC/dealers.

I hit the jackpot! My two are both very different, but excellent. Centered blades that are not proud, and nice even stag from side to side. They even have nice snap! My only complaint- and I am grasping at straws here- is the blades are not very sharp. I will remedy that and put the smooth one on my keys:thumbsup:
You certainly did hit the Jackpot my friend . Yesterday you said you wanted yours to come in Smooth Stag ??? Which one do you like the best ??? Smooth or Gnarly ?????? That Gnarly one is TOP DRAWER to me .

Harry

Last edited:
So Iā€™ll start with saying that I enjoy the knife I received. The craftsmanship is what I would expect of GEC. However the price point, the more I think about it, seems to be out of control. I would guess this knife averaged somewhere between 70-85 bucks, if thatā€™s the fair price they should be charging triple what they do for their larger knives. This thing is teeny tiny, a literal keychain novelty.

Before someone steps in and tries to inform me on an economics lessonā€¦letā€™s just say this is my shot from the heart opinion. This thing is a novelty keychain. I paid it, so the blame is equally on me, but 80 dollars for this is pretty crazy. Even the low end of high 60s seems unreasonable.

Again I completely understand they are selling out. I think we have all just had the wool pulled over our eyes, even if GEC didnā€™t intend that. I would love to know the average profit margin on these for GEC/dealers.

I have to say that I agree with you..... the price of these is ridiculous, in fact, just how these knives sell out instantly and the insanity of prices on the secondary market makes my head spin.

But, you know what? Even though I have almost no possibility to buy one of these direct from a dealer anymore, I say good for them!!! I hope they keep killing it. I hope that this gives someone else the incentive to bring back some more American knife manufacturing. I sorely miss Queen and CSC. What do we have left right now? GEC, Case and to a degree, Buck. Someone step in and correct me if I'm wrong here.

GEC knives from our era will be precious for a very long time and if you get one, it is a good thing. I don't know where I'm heading with all of this, but I just wanted to say that I'm glad they are selling out instantly and creating interest in this hobby.

I have to say that I agree with you..... the price of these is ridiculous, in fact, just how these knives sell out instantly and the insanity of prices on the secondary market makes my head spin.

But, you know what? Even though I have almost no possibility to buy one of these direct from a dealer anymore, I say good for them!!! I hope they keep killing it. I hope that this gives someone else the incentive to bring back some more American knife manufacturing. I sorely miss Queen and CSC. What do we have left right now? GEC, Case and to a degree, Buck. Someone step in and correct me if I'm wrong here.

GEC knives from our era will be precious for a very long time and if you get one, it is a good thing. I don't know where I'm heading with all of this, but I just wanted to say that I'm glad they are selling out instantly and creating interest in this hobby.

I agree, good for GEC. Still blows my mind, and Iā€™m one of the guys buying.

Well, you certainly don't seem to getting much bang for your buck. OK it's a nice, novelty idea, but I mean can't see where/what it can really be used for ? I have 3 small (all keys, Abloy, are small here) 2 house keys and bike key on my main fob and I like to keep it light. the car uses one of those monster match-box keyless jobs so can't attach anything to that either. Plus I have both of those types of secondary blades already on any Whittler, itself not a big bulky carry.

But, needs must I suppose. Plus it's (usually) rewarding to get a new knife, it's a grand thrill for sure :)

Last edited:

These may be selling for more than I would want to pay, but I don't necessarily think they're overpriced. I don't claim to know for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if the costs of manufacturing a small knife aren't much different than that of a large knife. That is: labor, machine wear, overhead, etc., affecting the price more than simply the cost of raw materials.

Does anyone have a picture of one of these next to a Vic Classic? (or actually on a keychain with keys) That might give the best idea of scale.

These may be selling for more than I would want to pay, but I don't necessarily think they're overpriced. I don't claim to know for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if the costs of manufacturing a small knife aren't much different than that of a large knife. That is: labor, machine wear, overhead, etc., affecting the price more than simply the cost of raw materials.

Thats totally fair. I guess I just had a moments of buyers remorse: "i paid that for that?!"

Was hoping for a little better matched sides .... but all in all, not bad. I just might replace my Spyderco H1 ladybug as my official keychain knife! Quite useful now that I've given it a proper sharpening.

hPWTgqF.jpg

Last edited:
Does anyone have a picture of one of these next to a Vic Classic? (or actually on a keychain with keys) That might give the best idea of scale.

Iā€™m a Classic on the key ring person. My 05 appears to be out for delivery now, so I will later today after it arrives - hopefully someone beats me to it as well.

Back