#44 Northwoods barlow.

Ordered an autumn,gold jig bone. First purchase with my first credit card... DUN DUN DUNNNNNNN. It'll also be my first larger end of the spectrum slip joint and the first bone handled knife I've bought(have a couple inherited ones) pretty excited about all these firsts.

Ordered a jig bone because the Mamouth Ivory was gone but just looked at the site and Mamouth Ivory were in stsock and ordered one also.

RKH

The mammoth handles look great. If I hadn't already ordered one in wood I think I'd take one.

Is it legal to export mammoth ivory from the us? I know regular ivory is not but mammoth? I'd lobe to get a mammoth when I can't get my hands on a reg ivory knife.

I love the jigged bone........BUT........
My daughter just texted me a picture of the wedding dress she wants. Knife budget takes a bad hit!

Mark

The suprises are what trouble me.... I am a matter of fact kind of person and do not like surprises much. Think I'll probably pass on any more as I was considering ordering another one immediately and really can't afford it.... more surprises next week? Think I'll leave these new arrivals for the other guy.

Added: I'm going to wait until I receive the one I ordered and make a judgement. According to the tracking, it has taken a couple days to get out of the orginal sorting center in OR. Anyway, if I feel it is one I will carry as an EDC, then I may opt to buy a jigged bone one for regular carry. If they are sold, then I have my trusty GEC #42 and a small pile of others to choose from. I am considering getting a single bladed #42 sometime in the future as a lighter pocket option to the heavier 2-bladed one I have. I like it quite a lot however.

Last edited:
The Madison is a bit larger than I am used to carrying, but I have fallen in love with it. The thinness is what makes the knife such a great carry knife.

The suprises are what trouble me.... I am a matter of fact kind of person and do not like surprises much. Think I'll probably pass on any more as I was considering ordering another one immediately and really can't afford it.... more surprises next week? Think I'll leave these new arrivals for the other guy.

Added: I'm going to wait until I receive the one I ordered and make a judgement. According to the tracking, it has taken a couple days to get out of the orginal sorting center in OR. Anyway, if I feel it is one I will carry as an EDC, then I may opt to buy a jigged bone one for regular carry. If they are sold, then I have my trusty GEC #42 and a small pile of others to choose from. I am considering getting a single bladed #42 sometime in the future as a lighter pocket option to the heavier 2-bladed one I have. I like it quite a lot however.

I d been watching the development of the Northwoods # 44 since it's first appearance on the forum. Had hoped to stuff my own stocking with one. When I realized that wasn't going to happen I went ahead and ordered this stag Burnside I'd been mulling over for weeks. The # 55 frame is an all time favorite and I love the very distinctive "primitive" treatment on some of the Northwoods. Arrived the day I returned from my Palm Springs vacation. Wow! Just gorgeous! Pretty sure the jigged bone #44 will show up on Monday and I'm certain to be impressed but this Burnside will be a hard act to follow.
Thanks Derrick,
Greg
0d1c4fbdbe888476e351155e3bc5b653_zps276e8252.jpg
[/IMG]

The Madison is a bit larger than I am used to carrying, but I have fallen in love with it. The thinness is what makes the knife such a great carry knife.

That's why I am excited about getting one. I like the barlow look also. I don't really get too excited about getting a knife in the mail anymore, but this is one I am looking forward to.

Is any one else having an issue with theirs hitting the ridge in the back spring when closed?

I bought 2 and both are developing a pretty good nick in the blade right in the middle where its hitting.

Is any one else having an issue with theirs hitting the ridge in the back spring when closed?

I bought 2 and both are developing a pretty good nick in the blade right in the middle where its hitting.

Crud. We had several that did and we checked a bunch more and they were fine. Let me know how you would like to handle it. It is a quick trip back to GEC or an exchange. Shoot us an email from the website and we'll get you taken care of.

Crud. We had several that did and we checked a bunch more and they were fine. Let me know how you would like to handle it. It is a quick trip back to GEC or an exchange. Shoot us an email from the website and we'll get you taken care of.

Or, if you sharpen it, it should take care of it as well.

I love mine! Despite some minor F&F issues that don't bother me all that much, this thing sure is a beauty. Big, but definitely easily pocketable.

CsslEV6l.jpg

Not as unusual as one would think. I have several knives that do this, mostly German made. Quick fix is stick a short bit of leather shoelace down in there and the blade won't hit any more.

Mine arrived this AM and all I can say is WOW!! It is a big knife but thin, which I love. Fit and finish is perfect. The leather sheath that comes with it is a real nice touch. If you want you can cut off the flap on the sheath and it would act just like the open top pouches they offer. Very good construction but I'm going to have to get some leather paste/oil to loosen her up a bit.

Grabbed a few of my current EDCs I had nearby and snapped a photo for comparisons. I can already tell this is going to get expensive going traditional.

Top to bottom (Large Sebenza 21 Insingo Micarta, Benchmade 940, #44 Madison Barlow, Benchmade Ritter MiniGrip, Spyderco Techno)

vpq4.jpg

3ux7.jpg

Back