1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Boker Urban Trapper Cocobolo , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday June 15!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, June 30 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Also, previous Live Stream Prize Pack winner, ooitzoo, has chosen to "pay it forward" with his knife that he won and is doing his own giveaway, check it out here: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/nib-cold-steel-prolite.1663761/

99 Wallstreet on the horizon, who's excited

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by nyrico, Oct 9, 2018.

1. Stropping Young Lad

Stropping Young Lad Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 11, 2012
    ;):thumbsup:

I have NO problem spending other people’s money.

Sabercat likes this.
  2. nyrico

nyrico Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 26, 2012
    Got an Elk inbound...

[​IMG]

dman62, TheFactor, boykinlp and 8 others like this.
  3. Chief

Chief Chief Master Sergeant USAF (ret) 1975-2000 Platinum Member

Nov 15, 1998
    KSF has a drop of elk and orange bone 99s if you hurry.

TexasTomcat, DRLyman and mitch4ging like this.
  4. mitch4ging

mitch4ging Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 16, 2015
    Thanks, Chief!

Not showing any stock available.
    Either they haven't posted it yet, or I was too slow??:mad:

Chief likes this.
  5. DRLyman

DRLyman Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 25, 2016
    I ordered one of the burnt orange model. That one looked better to me between the two. Very excited to be receiving that knife.

ETA Wow, that was fast. Already have the tracking #.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
    dc50 and Chief like this.
  6. Stropping Young Lad

Stropping Young Lad Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Same here! From the same source, it seems. I nabbed #15.

JTB_5 and Chief like this.
  7. Ramrodmb

Ramrodmb Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Just paid invoice for Elk!! Thank you Frank!
    Excited is an understatement!

8. mugwump867

mugwump867 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 12, 2004
    Got my Chestnut in today and I'm a bit disappointed that the bolsters have scuffs and the plain side of the blade has lots of small hairline scratches in it. On the plus side I did get a pin for the first time in my last ten or so GEC purchases. I think I'll just keep it and make it a user since this run seems to be prone to scratches. I do like how smoothly it opens and shuts and mine is dead on centered.

9. Kiro

Kiro Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 17, 2017
    Ok, got my 99 chestnut today. Great wood grain, great centering, great lockup. Maybe a couple scuffs, but they don't bother me.

However

On the back of the show side where the wood gets very thin past the lock, there is a chip of wood missing. It's small, but very noticeable, especially when everything else lines up so well.

So what do you think? Anyone else see this? Does this count as a defect? Might not be an issue as a user.

20181109_171924_crop_443x475.jpg

Hivoltage likes this.
  10. black mamba

black mamba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    It's definitely not right, but with such a limited run, the problem is if you send it back you won't get another one, and I doubt that GEC would rehaft it for you. I guess you could email Chris with a picture and see what they say.

Kiro likes this.
  11. JTB_5

JTB_5 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 6, 2017
    I see it, but it doesn’t look terrible. Your prerogative though, of course.

12. Babalu32

Babalu32

Jan 4, 2018
    If it were me I'd tape it off and put a drop of epoxy with sawdust in it. Sand after cured. But being brand new, and possibly collectable, first I'd contact GEC.

Ramrodmb likes this.
  13. Hivoltage

Hivoltage Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 19, 2018
    B2617EB8-D187-499E-99A0-648233935387.jpeg

Not as orange as expected but great fit and finish, surprisingly tight lockup.

Wurrwulf, cigarrodog, dman62 and 4 others like this.
  14. nyrico

Mar 26, 2012
    I got number 17.

15. nyrico

Mar 26, 2012
    Any blade play? I got 2 chestnut with a slight tick of blade play, an orange and an Elk inbound hoping for better luck. Mine too has great action smooth operation and a nice click of the lock, was surprised at the play.

16. Hivoltage

Hivoltage Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 19, 2018
    Not much, I was surprised. I actually took this pic before I opened my other one that’s a much darker orange. I’ll probably let this one go. I’ll try to post pics of the other later.

17. TheFactor

TheFactor Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 26, 2015
    Beautiful Pattern :thumbsup:

18. JTB_5

JTB_5 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 6, 2017
    FA209096-DD45-4536-A8E3-D988BF74A8D1.jpeg 34E16B39-2372-4CAD-845E-7579A60466DB.jpeg
    Decided to try this one out in case it becomes too difficult to find later. The grain is excellent as is the fit and finish. The first lock back from GEC I’ve held. No play in any direction. A few scuffs on the bolsters, but nothing significant. Very sharp! Not sure what to think about the pattern yet. I like it better in hand than the 44 which has a similar sized butt. The straight line taper and thin width feel pretty good. I think it may even rival the 47 sway back in feel. It isn’t the prettiest thing to look at though.

19. Night Rider

Night Rider Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 16, 2018
    Grab a Walnut colored nail hole repair pencil (Not wood putty) to fill it in. The chip is so slight and unnoticeable it would disappear. I have a whole set of them being an electrician with clumsy apprentices:rolleyes:. Nice catch BTW:thumbsup:
    Update! I just glanced back at the pic and noticed I was looking at a dark streak of wood grain:confused:. You were referring to the fact that the end of the scale does not make it up to the top of the bolster. You could still try a bit of nail hole filler and mold it into shape and if your not happy with the repair then you can just wipe it off.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
    TheFactor and Kiro like this.
  20. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    I'd say that colour really suits the knife, mellow. I very much like the jigging too as it is akin to Winterbottom Bone. I'm not attracted to the Chestnut models, I've seen this wood on other GECs and it strikes me as drab and actually not very tough. But, fortunately, we all have different tastes.

I have a Wall St in Stag from the first run, very solid and no play after some years. I understand GEC wanted to limit the stainless run but I think this knife looks best with Clip or Spear actually.