A folder's potential role in subduing animal attacks?

When it's all said and done, humans are just like any other creature in the world.....MEAT. :D

Paul

About 12 years ago a British Columbia hunter was attacked by a grizzly bear, although the man was seriously injured by the bear he managed to kill it with a fixed blade. I saw the knife on the TV news, it was long and thin, might have been an old butchers knife. The hunter stabbed the bear in the eye and the blade penetrated into the animals brain. This was a very rare case of a knife accomplishing what bullets sometimes fail to do, stopping a full grown grizzly.

Better a folder than a finger nail.

According to an in depth cable news report on the incedent, the 2 chimps simultaneously attacked from the front and back of the couple. The one in back first jumped the lady in a surprise attack, bit off her thumb and pushed her into her husband. The attack initially seemed aimed more towards her. Sensing this, the husband pushed her back to try to get her out of the way, which seemed to piss them off and they then concentrated on him.
It was reported he tried to "reason" with them during the early stages of the attack. It doesn't sound like he was in his most determined self-defense mode, not that it would have done him any good. Besides no weapon, he was extremely obese, so he probably couldn't move well. It was a slaughter. They easily took him down and quickly eliminated his ability to fight back...bit off all of his fingers, face, eye, tore off a foot as well as his genitals. Then were dragging him down a road.
The guy who shot them dead would probably have only gotten the first one if they were in the run from danger mode. Those things move faster than sh!t. You'd have to be damn good to get a sight picture, let alone a critical mass shot on a evasively moving/retreating chimp. These were not in the run mode.
A man moving against an attacking chimp would look like a sloth by comparison. They'd be past your stick or knife guard before you realized it happened. They're not just 4 times stronger, but 4 times faster. And are intelligent, cold blooded killers when they choose to be, just like humans. As in the wild, they flank their prey from different directions, and the one with the opening initiates the attack, takes you down, whereupon the flurry of threat elimination proceeds, usually unto death.

i'm still not convinced. in my day, i have physically kicked many a human's ass, and to top it off, i kind of look like a gorilla, lol. perhaps this is the source of my bias. when porcupines get unwittingly preyed upon, retreat/retraction is often imminent. i'd like to think of myself as more of a bipedal porcupine rather than easy prey for 115 lb chimps. well, maybe a badger with a porcupine in his pocket :cool:

I don't beleve a chimp is 4 times faster. The advantage you would have with a good, sharp knife is you don't need strength. Anything that is in your range, cut it and keep cutting.

Sam Pai Kenpo said:
I don't beleve a chimp is 4 times faster. The advantage you would have with a good, sharp knife is you don't need strength. Anything that is in your range, cut it and keep cutting.

Those chimps were faster than the couple, they would be faster than everyone else on this board, they were stronger, they had sharp teeth and a stronger precision grip than anyone on this board. You could probably deliver a fatal wound, but you would increase their rage, and they would kill you, then crawl off to die somewhere. Same with dogs etc.

jokrswylde said:
every which way but loose? loved it!

I was in love with Sondra Locke when I was a little kid, my father raised me on Clint Eastwood and John Wayne, hopes of the Orioles winning the series, and scifi/fantasy. I just saw Every Which Way but Loose again last month, and thought that Locke looked like a dog, actually, one of Eastwoods daughter said she gets insulted when people think that Locke is her mother :D . I do like Klyde, though.

"Right turn, Klyde."

It is fortunate that those who think they would be superior in an ape fight will never have the opportunity to test their touted skills and theories.

Their eduction would reach a higher level.

Thomas Zinn :D

Selfinflicted,

Are you kidding me? Four times quicker than a human being? NO WAY? Ever see a ping-pong match? Ever see really good martial artists? Ever watch someone run a ten second one hundred meters (at 30 MPH)? People are giving these chimps way more ability than I think they really have, after all regular healthy people beat up, break the bones of, and kill other regular healthy people all the time - without weapons.

When given the age and physical condition of this poor victim, it's not surprising he was mutilated by these animals. I stand by my statement that if an animal can't take my hand off cleanly with one bite; I'm going to do some serious damage with a knife.

That said, I would love to see how fast a chimp could run the one hundred meters or beat an Olympic level ping-pong player etc. People aren't all the sloths you seem to think.

I'm going to post the question of chimp vs human in a knock down drag out fight on an anthropology forum, viewed by real anthropologists, and see what they have to say. Granted, a chimp may not be able to run the 100 meter dash LIKE A HUMAN, but they are fast, they are strong and they will DEFINITELY KICK YOUR BUTT, so stay away from the cages when you are at the zoo :D.

zinn1348 said:
It is fortunate that those who think they would be superior in an ape fight will never have the opportunity to test their touted skills and theories.

Their eduction would reach a higher level.

Thomas Zinn :D
Since you speak from experience. ;)

If you don't mind my asking, when was the last time you saw a chimpanzee outside of a zoo? Or any other ape or monkey?

Chimps have no supernatural powers.
They are short, squat, very powerfully built, and very thick in the arms.In all other respects, they are pretty much the same as people. Lab accidents happen because people get careless (usually with spider monkeys). Out of control people are very difficult to control too, and can bite just as hard as a chimp can.

silenthunterstudios, I'm not sure how it follows that because the chimps were faster than a surprised old (and apparently obese) man they would be faster than anyone. Maybe I'm just failing to interprate your argument correctly.

I detect a new breed of ninja. In addition to the classic mall ninja, there now appears to be some zoo ninjas.

Thomason, I was just thinking the same thing. :) After the initial shock of the story wore off, some readers began running through their own scenarios ... "What would I have to do if :eek: "

In reality, it's the zoo keepers that get attacked more than the visitors. And they "know" their animals' capabilities and psychology best.

I'm not sure about a folder, but I think a pair of Szabo Battle Sickles in a nice chest harness would make formidable chimp fighters. You'd just have to try to be mindful of upsetting the non-knife people when you EDC at the zoo. :cool: Now I just need to find a good leopard-spotted ninja mask to fill out my zoo carry gear ;)

Will P. said:
silenthunterstudios, I'm not sure how it follows that because the chimps were faster than a surprised old (and apparently obese) man they would be faster than anyone. Maybe I'm just failing to interprate your argument correctly.

:rolleyes:
You have your opinion and I have mine, like I said, I'm waiting for an anthropologist or zoologist to reply.

Based on the information here, the victims in this case were already under attack before they realized what was going on...kinda like getting mugged from behind.

Under those circumstances, I don't think too many of us here would fare much better. Yes, you might actually reach your folder before your fingers get bitten off, but, if you don't have your eye, nose or balls still attached, you might be a bit...distracted.

However, in keeping with the theme of this thread, I for one will make sure I have pepper spray, an opened Benchmade 630, and a suit of armor prior to greeting my former pet chimp.

Let those freaks try to bite through that!

trout #2 said:
Now I just need to find a good leopard-spotted ninja mask to fill out my zoo carry gear ;)
snowleopardsoftmask.jpg

grrrowlll​

trout #2 said:
I'm not sure about a folder, but I think a pair of Szabo Battle Sickles in a nice chest harness would make formidable chimp fighters. You'd just have to try to be mindful of upsetting the non-knife people when you EDC at the zoo. :cool: Now I just need to find a good leopard-spotted ninja mask to fill out my zoo carry gear ;)
I think the traditional attire is a loincloth and nothing but. ;)

lmfao @ "zoo ninja", that was hilarious. I AM TARZAN HEAR ME ROOOAAAR!!! :D

i still think that a lot of folks are giving the monkeys too much credit. as i've said before, an animal's instinct to survive is much stronger than its instinct to attack out of aggression, unless that attack entails protecting its own life. i gave the porcupine example, where those quills can fend off large & vicious would-be predators. another example is how you can go swimming butt naked in the sea & keep great white sharks away with a device that allows you to push a button and emit a mere static electricity sound, and the sharks retreat pronto without even laying a tooth on you. my guess is that a similar phenomenon would happen with a nasty blade tickling the chimp's internals a couple of times, regardless of monkey adrenaline rush. survival instinct would probably dictate that it's simply not going to be a win-win for the animal, who's survival instinct is stronger than its fighting/aggression instinct. also, as it's been mentioned, chimps are pretty intelligent, and their prey is sized up before an atack is considered. if instinct indicates an easy kill, then they'll go for it. if instinct indicates a struggle & risk of survival, they'll make like the sharks. yeah, baby.

ROAR!!

Back