An open address, and my last post in this forum..( Or..How NOT to act on a forum )

Status
Not open for further replies.
...not to mention an exceptionally thin skin and an extreme unwillingness to engage in any sort of discussion that involves his "results."

Looks like we'll be stuck with him on the Spyderco.com forum. He's been dropping by there lately to get his fix. Hope he also makes a manifesto thread over there and disappear.

JDavis? Knew it was him. It's one thing to be smart and know some and it's another to let people you know some. Who cares? I'm here due to my love of steel and people just like me. Have a great day

Looks like we'll be stuck with him on the Spyderco.com forum. He's been dropping by there lately to get his fix. Hope he also makes a manifesto thread over there and disappear.

What would the internet be without drama??? :confused: :D

I asked him to Do a side by side test with the same media and cuts to test and compare Elmax to S30v and never had a response.I will rely on my own experiences and not on any internet video wither independent of from the producer.Everyone has an angle and I will trust my judgement and first hand experiences.If I don't like the knife or steel then I will pass it to someone else who appreciates it more than myself......

Guys we all have a lot to learn from this guy, we should all quit our jobs and make our very first set of knives in S90v. Then we can spread all the drama we want because then we will all be about the truth at all times right? Personally I'm glad to see him go. Sad that I have to avoid the Spyderco.com forum for a bit but oh well.

Guys we all have a lot to learn from this guy, we should all quit our jobs and make our very first set of knives in S90v.

Ah crap, I made my last knife out of 5160.
It'll probably chip and dull cutting warm cheese. :(

:D

I asked him to Do a side by side test with the same media and cuts to test and compare Elmax to S30v and never had a response.I will rely on my own experiences and not on any internet video wither independent of from the producer.Everyone has an angle and I will trust my judgement and first hand experiences.If I don't like the knife or steel then I will pass it to someone else who appreciates it more than myself......

I really like and value Jim Ankerson's thread in this forum, but at the end of the day, even cutting tests only return results specific to the cutting task used for the specific test - your (and my) own experiences are the best guide to what will work best for our own needs. :thumbup:

I used to support your position as one of truthfulness at least, though not really informed on steels, heat treats, and production stuff like that. In my eyes you lost credibility with me when you didn't send a knife back for testing when asked to after you decided you had problems with it and started posting about it. You have a way of disappearing when asked by the company to let them look at the knife you just slammed. I do think you are a equal opportunity knife testing wannabe though. Your lack of knowledge has shown through a few times. I also think you have a inflated sense of self importance and a need for drama. This thread is evidence to me of that.

We wouldn't have cared or even noticed to be honest. Not trying to be mean, just giving you an honest assessment of your performance as you have always done with others knives, steels, heat treats, etc. .

Joe

oh the memories...

s35vn controversy with both Chris Reeve and Spyderco, accusing spyderco of some sort of dishonesty regarding their CF laminate, warped/bent Caly 3 claims (which he failed to provide the video evidence promised), sage 2 lock face wear, VECP lock issues and of course Elmax failing the jdavis "performance test".

several reputable companies thrown into the jdavis pot of deception and misinformation but as already stated, controversy = more YT views.

for a relatively new guy in the knife world, john certainly has been successful in getting some attention (even if it wasn't positive).

Hey you stir the pot a little and then become a full time knife maker what's the saying bad attention is better than no attention at all right?

oh it definitely worked in his favor.

that is of course until people start complaining about his knives...

regardless, it must feel nice to be an already rich "knife maker" that requests donations through his over rated channel.

also, it reminds me of how different the world of YT and the Forums can be.

you have to earn your reputation around here whereas it's much easier to be accepted and admired on YT.

jdavis does not want to be questioned or provide proof of his claims (which explains why he left bladeforums).

his YT fans consider him a knowledgeable source of information and that's due to their own lack of experience.

it's very unfortunate that some people form their opinion based on his misinformation.

jdavis is about truth?

we're about facts...

regardless, it must feel nice to be an already rich "knife maker" that requests donations through his over rated channel.

also, it reminds me of how different the world of YT and the Forums can be.

you have to earn your reputation around here whereas it's much easier to be accepted and admired on YT.

jdavis does not want to be questioned or provide proof of his claims (which explains why he left bladeforums).

his YT fans consider him a knowledgeable source of information and that's due to their own lack of experience.

it's very unfortunate that some people form their opinion based on his misinformation.

jdavis is about truth?

we're about facts...

I used to watch his sharpening videos, and I would see him with hinderers and CRKs and other expensive knives, then I saw one of the descriptions it said all paypal donations are appreciated, and that kinda urked me a little bit. You can go out here and buy Hinderers and CRKs and custom knives, but you ask for money to buy rope??? Get real, IMO he knew what he was going to do all along he was just waiting on the right time to do it. I saw he had a tumbler or whatever it's called for stone washing, a year or more back , So I sent him a pm asking how much he would charge to stone wash a Ti military for me(we were in the same state at the time so turn around would of been pretty quick , so i thought) Anyways he told me a price which I forget now, and I was going to ship the knife down to him, and never heard a thing back, I guess since it wasn't a donation he didn't care much...I wanted to give the guy the benefit of the doubt , even after he questioned Spyderco, CRK, and then KAI but as the above post states, BF is about facts , not about opinions and he lost all credibility with me When KAI asked for the knife back and he never did it. Like I said I believe he was looking for the best way to get the most attention after or around the time of announcing his new profession. I'm going to let sleeping dogs lie now, and maybe all this will get lost in the archives (damn it I just bumped it) oh well lost in the archives after this...:p

I have reviewed a couple hundred products on various websites, in almost every case I have found something negative to say about them all. Most things involve compromise (knives especially), and very rarely does any product perform better than all others at all tasks. If you point out one thing wrong, there is always someone that will accuse you of an agenda - it's fanboy disease, and it well represented online. Even so, I am not familiar with OP, buy it takes repeated and obvious bias to have the majority of readers call you out. There is a point where you have to look at the situation objectively (if you review products objectively it shouldn't be a stretch) and ask yourself if you or your attitude contributes anything to your problems. If the answer is yes, a little responsibility and admitting your faults would go a lot farther than to claim that everyone else is the problem, and you're just misunderstood.

OP probably has some credence to his statement (which detractors will never acknowledge), and he is likely oblivious to his personality faults (which he will never acknowledge). So it is quite useless to keep addressing - but that doesn't mean we can't learn anything from it.

I used to watch his sharpening videos, and I would see him with hinderers and CRKs and other expensive knives, then I saw one of the descriptions it said all paypal donations are appreciated, and that kinda urked me a little bit. You can go out here and buy Hinderers and CRKs and custom knives, but you ask for money to buy rope??? Get real, IMO he knew what he was going to do all along he was just waiting on the right time to do it. I saw he had a tumbler or whatever it's called for stone washing, a year or more back , So I sent him a pm asking how much he would charge to stone wash a Ti military for me(we were in the same state at the time so turn around would of been pretty quick , so i thought) Anyways he told me a price which I forget now, and I was going to ship the knife down to him, and never heard a thing back, I guess since it wasn't a donation he didn't care much...I wanted to give the guy the benefit of the doubt , even after he questioned Spyderco, CRK, and then KAI but as the above post states, BF is about facts , not about opinions and he lost all credibility with me When KAI asked for the knife back and he never did it. Like I said I believe he was looking for the best way to get the most attention after or around the time of announcing his new profession. I'm going to let sleeping dogs lie now, and maybe all this will get lost in the archives (damn it I just bumped it) oh well lost in the archives after this...:p

i agree with this.

there was a time where i gave him the benefit of the doubt (entertaining a few of his older videos).

johns channel was basically him learning as he was going and i had no problem with that.

somewhere along the way he developed a holier than thou attitude.

in the midst of that he started his rally against several knife companies.

the people defending him at first would accuse others of being fan boys, jumping on the band wagon, brand loyalty etc etc (which was exactly what he manipulated them into believing)...

in the beginning that may have even been understandable.

now, after jeopardizing the reputation of at least 3 companies for the sake of attention, people see it for what it is.

that statement may seem bold because he's only one person but unfortunately, he has many uneducated followers.

for most people, knife making is a journey that involves slowly piecing together your skills and equipment.

that's not something john will ever have to worry about.

he makes the decision to become a full time (stay at home) knife maker before having a shred of actual experience, jumps in using the best steels and having an entire shop built within weeks.

hard to believe jdavis needs donations when he clearly has a disposable income (inheritance would be my guess).

i'm actually not sure that he's ever been employed.

john will never be taken seriously by the humble people that had to start at the bottom and work hard to achieve their goals.

i still remember sal glesser explaining to john that he should stick to medical school and how a knife hobby is not for everyone (which i am paraphrasing ftr).

even after all of the bs, sal still showed class and respect.

maybe that was the motivation for jdavis to start his joke of a company who knows..

anyway, i was definitely late to this party and i'm not sure how bladeforums will ever recover from such a loss.

on that note, i'm finished.

i apologize to the mods for mutilating a dead horse and sharing my opinion on this tragic matter :)

Last edited:
oh the memories...

s35vn controversy with both Chris Reeve and Spyderco, accusing spyderco of some sort of dishonesty regarding their CF laminate, warped/bent Caly 3 claims (which he failed to provide the video evidence promised), sage 2 lock face wear, VECP lock issues and of course Elmax failing the jdavis "performance test".

several reputable companies thrown into the jdavis pot of deception and misinformation but as already stated, controversy = more YT views.

for a relatively new guy in the knife world, john certainly has been successful in getting some attention (even if it wasn't positive).

If CRK HT wasnt bad, why are there so many complaints? I dont mind it but I have had better HT
My Elmax sucks, Some others complain.
Spyderco does laminate their taichung CF, but any body who knows what CF looks like should know. G10 has better properties for a knife anyway.
Havent heard of this VECP one, but I have heard of a few people who have had VECPs where the lock slips right off the tang.
I have seen a few Sage 2's with 100% lockup
I cant speak for the Caly issue.

Now what I cant wrap my head around is how he CLEARLY shows whatever on video, and people call BS. Ive cut way worse carpet than he was cutting in that video, ANd I have cut about 15 meters of it and finished with a sharper edge. My CRK doesnt seem too bad, in fact it seems good. Not quite S30v though, feels a bit softer, and a bit gummy on the stones.

I just cant understand calling somebody out as a liar for something clearly demonstrated in the closest way to in person as possible.

I have seen his work and im shocked.

HE has gotten the knife making thing right VERY FAST, its impressive.

PErfect flats, And perfect plunge lines. Pretty good designs, thin grinds, He is OCD about heat when grinding ( if he get one too hot, he bins it, doesnt try to pass it off as good), gets them run hard, they are going to be real performers, theres no doubting it. And when you have a following like he has, It shouldnt be too hard to sell a few knives per week with his following, You have to start knifemaking somehow- he dove head first, Which is OK seeing how good his work is. If somebody were to complain about them, I would be lead to believe its in distaste for John and to give bad publicity more than a performance issue.

I just cant understand calling somebody out as a liar for something clearly demonstrated in the closest way to in person as possible.

I don't believe anyone was called a liar. The problem isn't about what he says as much as it is how he goes about his "tests", how he presents his "evidence", How he reacts to criticism and his overbearingly smug and condescending attitude coupled with narcissism.

oh the memories...

It seems like there were a few more we are forgetting. They all begin to run in together. Still, calling out someone on a product they make and mess up is ok. Not a darn thing wrong with that. What tends to irk me are the guys who will do things like report how new products, say Spyderco's Tuff for instance, have weak and or defective locks and are closing on their own, or with minimal force. This catches on and gathers momentum enough to affect sales, Has Sal concerned enough to stop production and or shipping and sales until the lab figures out why. Then, after 3 or 4 requests on different forums ( chasing the guy who now won't respond) to return the knife for lab testing the guy who got all this started makes a "manifesto" post stating he is leaving because of his treatment at the hands of "fan boys". In the mean time no knives are returned with problems from this person who began the initial report of defective products, who is now gone still leaving Sal with his new release stalled while he makes an honest attempt to correct a problem that apparently never existed to begin with.

I do find it amusing that there will always be some that come to the defense of even the most incorrect, wrong, no honor liar once he claims he is being picked on. I have come to the conclusion that these guys are issued buttons ( red ones) for their computers which when pushed produce a high pitched squealing noise only audible to people who consider themselves victims. When the alarm goes out ( which us "normals" can't hear ) all the victims gather together in numbers to aggressively mount a defense to a brother "victim", who then proceed to attack the evil bully fan boys using simple but annoying techniques such as the trusty old " so you are saying......" followed by some twisted, distorted gibberish that needs to be corrected, along with accusations such as" well if you would watch something besides feaux news and eat a better diet to help clear up your complexion and move out of your mothers basement you might not be a virgin".

Um, but I'm 52 years old and my son is already out of college and has been working full time for 5 years.......

Ding, ding, ding,....Squeeealllllllll.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back