• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Bark River, again

Status
Not open for further replies.
No doubt. While I do not have any 20CV, I have plenty of 204P and M390, and it sure as heck doesn't corrode upon contact with apples and bananas! :eek: :rolleyes:

And the reason KSF saying your issue is with Bark River is because what you're alegging, that the item is not made with the type of steel you thought you had purchased. With absolutely no proof! I repeat. At this point you accusation is 'anecdotal', a personal opinion. Meaningless.

Btw, I'm glad all of you 'materials engineers' can tell what a knife blade is made of by just looking at it. That's a great ability. We can do away with all the Materials Testing Labs in the country and just let you guys look at it and tell us what we have. ;)

It is possible BRK got a bad run of steel from their source and got mixed-in the production-run? Although, I would think each product run of steel comes with documentation. I know from experience every steel delivery I had came with documented proof of formulation and country of origin.
SJ

are you a fanboy or did you not read the original thread with clear evidence?

OP... can you just call/email bark river again and just ask for your money back and return the knife because your not satisfied?

I had an old carbon steel folder and the blade acted just like that after cutting through a banana.

Threads like this are helpful for all knife enthusiasts out there, if you can read past haters or fan boys comments.
It's enough information here to draw your own conclusion(s).

Appreciate the heads-up OP.
If you don't wanna see this matter thru, I hope at least you'll enjoy the knife. Not the point of this thread, but that patina can be an awesome thing and "grows" on you (gives the knife character, makes it your own, etc)

The OP has made it pretty clear that his interest is in alerting people to what he considers to be a bad experience with Bark River, not finding a way to get a new knife or his money back. Nothing wrong with that.

As he said:
I was so dismayed by the attitude I received, saying this is all normal, that I felt I'd rather lose $200 and make this issue public than go through the hoops of getting a proper knife from BRKT.

I don't know. Every suggestion to resolve this, Mr. ForgedMaple, has a ready-made excuse of why he can't pursue this issue through proper channels. Seems kind of strange? Is it possible you got the wrong steel? Sure. However, without demonstrable proof, like a Materials Testing Laboratory analysis, you're just barking at the Moon. It's your anecdotal, unqualified opinion at this point. Sorry.

Regardless, it still seems like a simple fix. Return bad knife to KSF, get new knife with proper steel. Problem solved. Or, you could break the knife, return it to BRK and get a new one on their 'Lifetime Warranty'. Problem solved, again.

No matter where I am in the world, if I received a bad product, I'd return it to whom I purchased it from. It's what keeps FedEx and UPS in business, In this instance, "KniveShipFree", is on the hook to make you happy. Not, Bark River Knives, you didn't 'buy it' from them. I've done business with 'KSF' and find their Customer Service outstanding.

This thread has just become one more boring thread of 'haters and bashers' coming out of the woodwork to pile-on Bark River Knives and Mike Stewart. Ho, hum.:barf:

FYI, I have no connection to BRK or KSF, other than being a happy customer. I said that because I'm sure one of the 'haters' would say I'm Mike Stewart in disguise.:D

SJ

I'm not surprised to see such a post, they never fail to crop up in every negative thread about Bark River. Call my story into question, cast doubts on my evidence, throw some thinly veiled insults around, etc. Typical. You're probably the kind of guy who wouldn't believe the Earth is round until NASA paid you a two-way trip to the moon, and even then you'd have your doubts.

As for proper channels, please tell me why e-mails are not considered proper. I already explained why I won't call BRKT. Phone calls don't have records, and that would give Mike Stewart the power to twist my words around. I'm not falling for that.

If KSF wants to test the steel, they don't even need my particular knife. I already pointed out which ones will most likely exhibit the exact same problems in their inventory. They can go ahead and test one right away. If it patinas, they got a serious issue on their hands. If it doesn't, wipe it off and sell it at as refurbished for a small discount. Small price to pay for the peace of mind, if you ask me.

I'm not going to waste more time arguing with you. You, me, and everyone else reading this thread with an IQ above 10 already knows you probably have vested interest in this. Go ahead, call me a "hater".

So no KSF yet? This is odd. They are normally very responsive. Even if they are doing some leg work behind the scenes it would be nice if they would chime in and say so...

being a small business owner myself, sometimes employees aren't trained well or just do what they want until you find out and correct both flaws. is it possible an employee said what they said not really understanding the situation properly? maybe not but just saying people will be people. employees sometimes don't really take their time to understand or care. course sometimes owners do the same thing. if you moved up the chain to a supervisor or the owner, and maybe you already did?, who's job is to care maybe you'll get a different response? maybe not? i don't know but maybe worth the effort? just a thought to consider.......

I completely agree with you. I run a business. I was once a call centre agent in my younger years. I've been there, and made my own mistakes. I will say, the rep who handled my request was not Tyler, who seems to have a solid reputation around here. I wouldn't be surprised he's a new guy and I'm not blaming him. I really don't want the focus to be shifted to KSF.

So no KSF yet? This is odd. They are normally very responsive. Even if they are doing some leg work behind the scenes it would be nice if they would chime in and say so...

Are they at SHOT? I don't mind if they take their time, I'm not looking for any compensation out of this. I just hope they don't ignore the problem entirely, because I like them.

I completely agree with you. I run a business. I was once a call centre agent in my younger years. I've been there, and made my own mistakes. I will say, the rep who handled my request was not Tyler, who seems to have a solid reputation around here. I wouldn't be surprised he's a new guy and I'm not blaming him. I really don't want the focus to be shifted to KSF.

i was talking about bark rivers response, not so much ksf. ksf have always been very good and helpful. top rated dealer in my experience.

i was talking about bark rivers response, not so much ksf. ksf have always been very good and helpful. top rated dealer in my experience.

I can't extend the same courtesy to Bark River for the simple reason they have a terrible track record. I know a pattern of fraudulent activity when I see one.

Are they at SHOT? I don't mind if they take their time, I'm not looking for any compensation out of this. I just hope they don't ignore the problem entirely, because I like them.

I guess they might be but they are not out of contact. It is not even their issue but DLT has chimed in. A simple "hey, we are looking into this" would sure be nice. I'm not saying they aren't doing something to look into this, we just don't know anything. Sending out carbon steel instead of a super steel is a serious thing. It deserves attention.

In short, I have recently purchased a Bark River Mini-Canadian in 20CV steel, and through some simple tests and observations, have now come to the conclusion that the knife is made of A2 steel. Not only that, but there are some indications the problem may extend to an entire run of knives.

All the details, as well as my transition from happy to frustrated customer, can be found here:
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1461700-Normal-20CV-behavior

So what is it? 100% normal for 20CV? Honest human mistake? Lousy QC? Outright fraud? You decide.

You sound like an experienced knife user but you created an account here just to complain about BRKT in these 2 threads?

You sound like an experienced knife user but you created an account here just to complain about BRKT in these 2 threads?

Should he have waited until a certain post amount to pass on the information? Or, is it frowned on to join BF to discuss issues as a primary reason? I dont understand your point as it does not pertain to the issue but to the poster.

Does that take any credibility away from my experience? I'm not American, I'm more comfortable speaking in other languages than English. I signed up here because it has the most visibility and would provide me with the most feedback. Also, KF never sent me a confirmation e-mail, and as such I was never able to post there. But that's moot, because apparently Mike Stewart deserted that place long ago.

And one last thing. Not everybody feels the need to create a forum account just to post a thread and ask "insingo or regular?". For some people, like myself, searching Google with the line "site:bladeforums.com" is all the skills we need to answer nearly every possible question one might have about knives. This was the first time in over a decade where I couldn't find a conclusive answer.

Edit: And in regards to you saying I came here just to complain about BRKT... Read the other thread, read my first few posts. I clearly wasn't complaining about BRKT at that point in time. I loved the knife and just thought perhaps my expectations of 20CV's rust resistance were too high. Following some comments, I even went on to accept this as normal behavior.

Last edited:
Should he have waited until a certain post amount to pass on the information? Or, is it frowned on to join BF to discuss issues as a primary reason? I dont understand your point as it does not pertain to the issue but to the poster.

It is certainly a bit of a red flag but the evidence he has provided shows this is not just a one post wonder spreading a story.

Ladies and gentlemen, ForgedMaple is not to be trifled with. I get the feeling that most of you will be out of your depth. It's pretty funny. Keep smackin' 'em down.

It is certainly a bit of a red flag but the evidence he has provided shows this is not just a one post wonder spreading a story.

That was my point- it is a red flag. The more fluent he is in discussing the knife, its performance, and expectations from various steels the more of a red flag it is. But I posted a question, not trying to make a blatant accusation. The OP has addressed the question to some extent.

I'm still curious what KSF will say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back