Beckerhead Jobs

Eighteen years with a metallurgical engineering firm involved in the construction and management of plants in the nuclear fuel chain. Ten years as project manager for an environmental engineering company. Traditional woodworking and blacksmithing as a sideline. Growing up and summer jobs included deckhand on a towboat, pipeline welder's helper, worked for carpenters, roofers, electricians, a blacksmith and a small aviation company. I just play now :D

See, you had to go and make it into a contest, didn't you.
Dangit.
(I've been inside the WIP site, does that count for anything?)

Thanks for the chance!

Right now I am a Senior at buffalo state college. I hope to get my bachelors in biology in the next year then find a lab job somewhere while I contemplate if I want to go for my masters. As far as jobs I have had. I worked in a hardware store for around three years when starting college. More recently I worked a summer job in the chemistry lab at the college.

After 12 years in the Army as a scout I'm trying my hand at being a machinist... they haven't fired me yet so that is good

High school student at the moment.

I do hope to become an electrician one day or some simmilar job that allows me to be outdoors (or at least partially) and not confined to an office or any building.

A titanium tube weld mill operator for one of only two companies making them in the US.

And 6 hours after I posted this, I find out I will only have this job for one more month... the shop is shutting its doors. I have a position available at a different facility, but I'm not sure I'll take it...:rolleyes:

Lots of variety here guys, I'm really enjoying hearing more about the "person behind the knife".

I'm currently a finishing my last year of my masters degree (Masters of Information System Management). I have worked on campus as a System Admin for the last 4 years (80% windows, the rest Mac and Unix). This summer I interned at Microsoft as a System/Service Engineer in Silicon Valley. At the end they offered me the position full time after I graduate, so my wife and I will be moving out there at the end of the school year. I'll be honest, I'm pretty stoked about it.

My previous jobs were totally different though. I worked Landscaping, window washing, Concrete, and AC repair. Its been kind of a weird transition between the outdoorsy jobs and my new desk job life :(.

Also, I grew up in the midwest but had family in CA so I grew up LOVING Tritip. When my Aunt knows I'm coming for dinner they throw on another one :). I highly recommend it.

And 6 hours after I posted this, I find out I will only have this job for one more month... the shop is shutting its doors. I have a position available at a different facility, but I'm not sure I'll take it...:rolleyes:

That's why I only posted about a job that already ended. :D Hope you find something you like.

Lots of variety here guys, I'm really enjoying hearing more about the "person behind the knife".

I'm currently a finishing my last year of my masters degree (Masters of Information System Management). I have worked on campus as a System Admin for the last 4 years (80% windows, the rest Mac and Unix). This summer I interned at Microsoft as a System/Service Engineer in Silicon Valley. At the end they offered me the position full time after I graduate, so my wife and I will be moving out there at the end of the school year. I'll be honest, I'm pretty stoked about it.

My previous jobs were totally different though. I worked Landscaping, window washing, Concrete, and AC repair. Its been kind of a weird transition between the outdoorsy jobs and my new desk job life :(.

Also, I grew up in the midwest but had family in CA so I grew up LOVING Tritip. When my Aunt knows I'm coming for dinner they throw on another one :). I highly recommend it.

Hey cool, another 'head in the Bay Area! I live about 20 miles north of the valley. Sad to say, but if you have any firearms, prepare to have them neutered.

Where i work, everyone is either a drug addict, drug dealer, pimp, prostitute, child molester, drunk driver, thief, burglar, murderer, rapist, domestic violence abuser, child abuser, drunk driver killer, endangers children, butcherers of people, bad check writer, white collar criminal, blue collar criminal, scamer, cyber criminal, hustler, etc. etc... . We have to be nice to these people, or we will loose our jobs. They have rights. We have cameras, lots & lots of cameras. These people use the cameras to their advantage. We are always on the defense. They will try to bait us into saying or doing something that is a "violation of their rights". They spit at & on us. They throw unknown liquids, urine & feces at us sometimes. They bite us. We do NOT have the right to know if they have a disease. They have rights. We can't violate them. Sometimes, you have seconds to make decisions that could cost you your life, the life of a co-worker or give either a career ending injury. Yet your superiors will watch the video for months on end, deciding if you did something wrong or if you could have handled it differently. They will fine you or discipline you if they deem so. They could have HIV, AIDS, Tuberculosis, Hepatitis A, B or C, Syphilis, Gonorrhea, Herpes or some other un-Godly disease. We work weekends & holidays. We do not carry guns. We do not carry mace or pepper spray. We do not carry batons. They are not locked in cells. They live in a dormitory setting. They have cable TV. A Hospital. Dental. OMH or Mental Health facility. They have a nice big yard to recreate in. Tennis/vollyball court, handball courts, basketball courts. We make $40,000+ less per year than State Troopers, yet we have Peace Officer Status & are trained in weapons, use of force, etc, etc... . So, come to NY & take the test if you need a job.

Yes, i am happy i have a job. Don't get me wrong. But my job sucks bigtime. But it pays the most for just a high school diploma, around me. The consequences are high though. We die at the average age of 58. My dad also did this job. He died 15 yrs after retirement. You get in, get bills & get trapped in---so to speak. I trust hardly anyone. I am strict with my kids because i see the consequences everyday. I am close to retirement. I can't wait. I hate my job, but it pays the bills, for the most part.

Stay in school. Go to college. Get a job you like. It makes you live longer doing something you enjoy. End of my rant.

Hey cool, another 'head in the Bay Area! I live about 20 miles north of the valley. Sad to say, but if you have any firearms, prepare to have them neutered.

Yep, next summer some time I'll be showing up in/around the south bay area. Maybe we'll be able get together some time for lunch or some sort of hike or something :).

I don't have any firearms, but I've been starting to consider it. I've never historically been all that into guns, so I'm not sure how to really get into them (that, and I'm poor for now :p). Should I get into it now, or once I'm there ?

I'm the System/Server Administrator for a global chemical company which specializes in the micro-encapsulation of human and animal grade nutrients, food ingredients and pharmaceuticals. We're a very lean department (4 IT staff for the entire global corporation: the director of IT, myself, a help-desk tech reporting to me, and a business analyst/programmer) so needless to say I keep pretty busy. I love what I do however, and have had a job I liked half as much.

Chain link fence.... wholesale .....branch/ sales manager

I worked at Elrod Fence for about five years putting up chain link, they are the biggest fence Co. In Sothern CA. Fence is some tuff work! Digging holes, mixing cement and hauling rolls of chain link on your shoulder. Fun stuff! :cool:

Well my one job is being a cashier at Rona.

My other job is being an Infantry soldier in the Canadian Reserve.

Eighteen years with a metallurgical engineering firm involved in the construction and management of plants in the nuclear fuel chain. Ten years as project manager for an environmental engineering company. Traditional woodworking and blacksmithing as a sideline. Growing up and summer jobs included deckhand on a towboat, pipeline welder's helper, worked for carpenters, roofers, electricians, a blacksmith and a small aviation company. I just play now :D

Are we doing summer jobs too? Let's see. I've sold beer at Atlanta Braves games, picked cotton (I kid you not), picked up water samples for quality testing around the state of Alabama, and done finish carpentry. I've also worked as a construction laborer and as a carpenter for longer spans. These days, I mostly just whisper to biscuits.

Are we doing summer jobs too?

I never had as much fun working a career as I did those summer jobs. My all time favorite was working on a pipeline. Hard, dirty and outside. Come to think of it, that's still my favorite...:D

Yeah, ole Tradewater loves handling some pipe... Hard, dirty pipe...

;)

Back