• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Brad Duncan Custom Knives = NO HONOR! Beware!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It sounds like I got lucky with Brad, no I did not get a knife, but I did not loose money. I ordered from him fairly early in his career and the order kept sliding into the future. I finally gave up and cancelled the order, but I had paid nothing up front. Steven

I have nothing but positives for knifeart. Though I have never pulled the trigger on anything they have, I have always been treated with courtesy by their knowledgeable and informed staff. My intent is simply to inform the greater knife community of my experiences with Brad Duncan well known (notorious?) knifemaker and maybe get my money back. I don't want a cent more than the $450 I fronted him and honestly don't wish him ill. Karma will deal out what's due in due course. I did send him a PayPal request at both of his PayPal accounts yesterday for the $450, as well as left a message via email at both his addresses (and Ed's too), and left him a phone message today. Thus far nothing. I would absolutely love to hear his side of things as well so we can all get back to enjoying the hobby without fear of felony theft.

Knifeart is top notch.

I called Brad a few years ago to talk about a knife I wanted. I got his answering machine and left my number. He never called me back. I never called him back.....

This whole mess makes me wonder if they actually would have shipped the knife if the bid had been to their liking.
Or would they have said, "Congratulation, Brad will make you a similar knife when he is ready."

Stuff like this makes me avoid ebay for higher end knives. I'll only buy direct from the maker or from a reputable purveyor.

The problem with buying a knife from a maker like this, even through a reputable dealer, is that it keeps him in the money. It takes the pressure off him that might force him to provide for his direct customers, or more importantly, to resurrect his reputation.

Excellent point Esav!

While the only time I dealt with Brad it was completely positive, I am well aware of the probelms he has apparently had over the years.

There are other makers who have found their reputations in a similar state with the collector world.

Some of those makers also provided knives to purveyors while stiffing their direct customers.

Some purveyors have stopped dealing with some of these makers due to the taint it puts on them as a purveyor, realizing that continuing to sell a disreputable maker's knives could cause some collectors not to by ANY maker's knives from them.

Well, sent him another PayPal reminder for my money request so hopefully he pays up.

The only way I will pay through Paypal is with a credit card. That way, if things don't work out, you can do a chargeback. Paypal prefers you don't do it that way, but that's just too darn bad.

I sent a Mini Whiplash to him to have dual thumb studs on it, and had no problems.He got knife Mini Whip done, and sent back to me, no problem. I also placed an order with him, after discussion options that I want. He did not ask for money. He did explain that he is backed up. I said no problem, I would wait.

Another day, another email and call to Brad... still nothing. Apparently his wife doesn't answer the phone either as the number for her "Stingray Leather" crap link on his website is useless as well.

They are probably getting lots of calls from angry customers and have decided not to answer the phone any more, and not to answer messages that are left. Brad seems to be doing everything he can to destroy his career as a knifemaker. He has messed up and been given the benefit of the doubt, and then he messed up again, and was again given the benefit of the doubt. I think he has just about run out of lives.

The guy, Brad Duncan, is a dirtbag. I have an auto knife of his that is broken. Can't get him to return emails, calls, etc. Never again. I have heard this is common with him.

Well, he "was" on my list of knives to buy. He can kiss my business goodbye and from the looks of it, quite a few others.:thumbdn:

I'd like to get a running list of custom knife dealers who continue to have relations with this scumbag thief and list his merchandise for sale on their websites. Perhaps we can get an answer from them as to how they get responses from him. Better yet, perhaps we can encourage them to quit carrying his goods until he gets his head out of his rectum and his hands out of our wallets! Here's a brief google search of the dealers who seem to like him. For obvious reasons, I will NEVER purchase any other maker's knife from any dealer who continues to list his wares as CURRENTLY available on their site and will advise everyone I deal with to do the same. They are accomplices as long they promote this thief. I'll update it if anyone knows of anyone else.

Names removed to protect the innocent.[/url]

k so brad Duncan Knives are completly junk and he should stick to sellin them at flea markets then, cuase after taking a look at his website, it seems he spends lots of time there... the way the site is presented is totally (pardon the term) "trailorish" sorry to you guys who lost $$$ with them, hopefully you'll get it back. and thanx for educating us about who not to do business with. also XJ i think you idea above me here is a real good one.

I'd like to get a running list of custom knife dealers who continue to have relations with this scumbag thief and list his merchandise for sale on their websites. Perhaps we can get an answer from them as to how they get responses from him. Better yet, perhaps we can encourage them to quit carrying his goods until he gets his head out of his rectum and his hands out of our wallets! Here's a brief google search of the dealers who seem to like him. For obvious reasons, I will NEVER purchase any other maker's knife from any dealer who continues to list his wares as CURRENTLY available on their site and will advise everyone I deal with to do the same. They are accomplices as long they promote this thief. I'll update it if anyone knows of anyone else.

www.knifeart.com
www.steeladdictionknives.com
www.primoknives.com
www.gpknives.com
www.truenorthknives.com
www.bladeart.com
www.arizonacustomknives.com
www.ncblades.com
www.leescutlery.com

I appreciate your VERY righteous frustration and anger, and I REALLY hope it all works out for you, but consider that there are dealers on your list that are some of the most honest and professional in the industry, and that painting them all with such a broad brush might be unfair.

Namely, if a dealer gives Brad money, and he consistently gives them knives, said dealer might simply not KNOW that he has issues with other customers.

I might also point out that dealers do receive knives from their customers (for example, in a trade), and might simply not be acquiring knives directly from Brad at all.

Anyway, best of luck to you in getting your problem resolved.

www.knifeart.com
www.steeladdictionknives.com
www.primoknives.com
www.gpknives.com
www.truenorthknives.com
www.bladeart.com
www.arizonacustomknives.com
www.ncblades.com
www.leescutlery.com

Let me get this straight- dealers who already paid for knives with their own money should just what....throw the Duncan's away? I would hardly call them "accomplices". Yes, Brad Duncan is a terrible business person, and from I've heard (and in the past elsewhere) I'd say he's definately a moron (to put it lightly) but come on, these dealers have nothing to do with the problem. In fact, I know of dealers who have actually tried to work out a bad deal between Duncan and his customers- and this for knives that weren't even purchased from the dealer!

Do you not talk to people who shop at a store you don't like either? What if they watch a TV show you despise? I undestand you're upset, really, but don't blame everybody here. BTW, I guess you won't be buying too many knives since you listed most of the custom dealers out there.

I certainly don't question their honesty at all. I simply won't give someone my money when he/she is enabling a person who has stolen from me to continue with business as usual. That's just me and everyone is free to deal with whomever they please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back