Camillus and Schrade of Old Given Short Shrift Now-A-Days

May I ask why when Camillus NY is so far from New York City, many tang stamps say New York City. Did they manufacturer in NYC at one time?

Two that I picked up at an estate sale of a long time veterinarian in town. They were both dirt cheap and down right dirty. The Sharp Finger was rusty, while the LB7, being SS was free of rust but marred by verdgris that covered bolsters and the inner sheath as well. I elected to go down to clean metal on both. I don't think the owner ever took them out.

Schrade 1.jpg Schrade 2.jpg

This emblem is the logo of a regional health care center in town, Marshfield Clinic Health System. Likely given out in the pre-PC era to a long time employee. I imagine it would have been affixed at the factory, it's attached that well.
Schrade 3.jpg

ModocED, pardon the Case Copperlock I've included here for comparison purposes. (I'll keep them small, you'll get the idea.) I wanted to show just how big the LB7 is. The Case is not a small knife, but the LB7 dwarfs it: 8.0oz for the LB7 vs. 3.0 for the Case. Wow!

Comparo 1.jpg Comparo 2.jpg

May I ask why when Camillus NY is so far from New York City, many tang stamps say New York City. Did they manufacturer in NYC at one time?
Which Camillus tang stamps have "New York City"? I've seen "NY", "NEW YORK", and "NEW-YORK". I can't recall seeing New York City.

Camillus stockman 1976

FlAY6P1.jpg

d2ZqoyV.jpg

Camillus US Navy EO (bail cut off) 1941-1946

vPkaVbW.jpg

qJ6bMGV.jpg

Camillus 29 trapper 1960-1976

cP5jVrF.jpg

CvLE8TJ.jpg

- Stuart

Two that I picked up at an estate sale of a long time veterinarian in town. They were both dirt cheap and down right dirty. The Sharp Finger was rusty, while the LB7, being SS was free of rust but marred by verdgris that covered bolsters and the inner sheath as well. I elected to go down to clean metal on both. I don't think the owner ever took them out.

View attachment 911696 View attachment 911697

This emblem is the logo of a regional health care center in town, Marshfield Clinic Health System. Likely given out in the pre-PC era to a long time employee. I imagine it would have been affixed at the factory, it's attached that well.
View attachment 911698

ModocED, pardon the Case Copperlock I've included here for comparison purposes. (I'll keep them small, you'll get the idea.) I wanted to show just how big the LB7 is. The Case is not a small knife, but the LB7 dwarfs it: 8.0oz for the LB7 vs. 3.0 for the Case. Wow!

View attachment 911700 View attachment 911701
Nice examples Bugdoc :cool::thumbsup: Some of the knives that I have been posting pictures of on this thread are knives manufactured by Stainless Cutlery Co, New York City which was a trademark used by Camillus Cutlery Co from 1924 to 1940 (Goins). Not surprisingly, they had stainless steel blades with the Stainless Cutlery tang stamp and some had the "Stainless Shield" as seen below whereas others just have a small "S". Stainless steel wasn't really popular until around 1920 so the fact that Camillus was able to utilize this new metal in pocket knives in 1924 was pretty remarkable. I'm not even sure that they had a factory in New York City but just used the name to draw "rich folk" to their fancy stainless steel knives :D Every one of the Stainless Cutlery knives I have are very well made, you can tell it was a Camillus product.:thumbsup:

SSCPK-2B.JPG

SSCPK-1C.JPG

Thanks guys! The LB7 doesn't get out much but has a special interest for me since I work at the clinic whose logo is on the knife.

The Sharpfinger does get out on weekends. It never fails to generate interest (is it a throwing knife, a medieval knife?) I like it as an unconventional bird and trout type tool.

Last edited:
Back