"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

A long-time Vikings fan, so of course a Vikings game at Lambeau is on my bucket list. I live in the St. Croix valley, where there is a lot of purple-green intermingling on both sides of the river. I will root for Green Bay against anybody but the Vikings, unless it is crucial to the divisional race. Driives my boy and his friends nuts. We watch in the Moon Bar, where a really bad call can mean the end for the TV screen.

8FB270D5-BC7C-4E19-A8B1-161C652994F9.jpeg

Went to a theatre that showed live games in Dallas. Green Bay was in town. Couldn't afford tickets and everything that goes with it (probably would have spent over $1,000), so a live game on the big screen was a great alternative. For some reason, I was the only one wearing a Packers' jersey. Even my wife was wearing a Cowboys' jersey. Heard lots of yelling directed at me. Good thing I need a hearing aid, because I couldn't make out the words. My wife was afraid and begged me not to say anything back. I just ignored them and enjoyed the game. Green Bay trailed till late in the 4th quarter. Cowboys fans were not happy! However, I think they were good sports--even shook hands with some of them after the game. All in all, a fun experience.

Sitting knifeless in an airport. Tossed a SAK Spartan in my checked bag so I'll have something at the other end. I haven't had to fly in 5 years. Not my preferred mode of travel

Plus 1. Sitting for hours in a pneumatically sealed pressure vessel that operates in an environment which will not support human existence is not my preferred method, either. I like to build them, not fly in them.

Only knife I bought today. ($4.68)
ViKWzME.jpg

Maniago?
IPAOowO.jpg

Just a guess.

Plus 1. Sitting for hours in a pneumatically sealed pressure vessel that operates in an environment which will not support human existence is not my preferred method, either. I like to build them, not fly in them.
Well that was an ordeal. Frank when you design planes, please take into account that some people are taller than 6 ft and weigh more than a supermodel. I feel sorry for sardines, now that I have shared their fate.

Let's go back to the Pre-Jet age...Constellations, Stratocruisers, you had your own bed made up for you, twin decks, loads of stretch room:cool: Loads of fatalities too..:eek:

I hate riding on the back of motor-bikes but enjoy riding them... I can't fly a plane but I might enjoy it, passenger? Uh-uh:eek::thumbsdown:

Airships could be cool and sedate mind. (no Hindenburg films please:D)

Spent the day in Richmond at the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts with my wife, daughter, and her boyfriend. Last week of the Napoleon - Power and Splendor exhibit. Followed by an early supper on W. Cary Street at Naco Mama's. Forgot how good the food was there and how huge the portions.

Nice to see this thread reach 1000 pages :)

When I first started flying in the 70's, I actually found it pretty luxurious, but I haven't flown for about 5 years or so, partly because I've not really felt like going anywhere, but also because of all the hassle involved at the airport these days, and being treated so poorly by the airlines :(

I was flying back from Barcelona with my girlfriend a few years ago (having travelled to Bilbao by boat, and travelled across Spain on the train). There were quite a few empty spaces on the plane on this occasion, and the three seats across the aisle from us were unoccupied. The stewardess came round and asked if one of us could move places and sit on the other side of the aisle to equalise the weight on the plane! It seemed all the more ridiculous because I'm well over 6 foot, and my girlfriend is 5ft 2". When I asked if she was joking, she insisted that one of us move seats so as not to destabilise the plane. I've often wondered if the crew were having a bet at our expense! :rolleyes: Thankfully, neither of us has any fear of flying o_O

A few weeks ago someone told me about the time a zeppelin flew over Keighley, a small town close to where I live. I looked it up online, and it turned out the zeppelin was actually the Hindenburg! The event took place in 1936, and the vast airship actually descended over the small West Yorkshire town, and dropped a small package. The parcel was found by two young boy scouts, and along with a postcard and some postage stamps, it contained a crucifix and a spray of carnations.

hindenburg-keighley-argus.jpg

The parcel had been dropped by the Hindenburg's resident pastor, John B Schulte, who described himself as the world's first flying priest. His brother had been a POW, captured in WW!, and having died at a large German POW camp near Keighley, he was buried in the local cemetery. He asked that whoever found the package, take the flowers and crucifix to his brother's grave.

(Note knife content)

The Hindenburg had been returning from a passenger trip to the USA, and crossing over Britain a few weeks before, had actually flown over Leeds, where I live today. Just a few months later, it would make it's final trip across the Atlantic.

Back