"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

Great picture, they must feel safe in knowing that Thanksgiving has passed. :)

I'm not sure turkeys are deep thinkers!:D They are pretty safe in my yard though.

Hunted for many years & we always ate what we harvested except the occasional Coyote. We skinned them & left the meat for the Bears.
Feathers from the Turkeys went to my friend who was a Traditional Bow hunter, made & fletched his own arrows.
Here's what I do with feathers that end up around the property. I never was a turkey hunter but did hunt small game and upland game birds when I was younger.
ofoOBil.jpg

This one has always amused me. From a few years ago. Different feeder and set up now - pretty much an entirely new porch - with no turkeys. :) They now hang out at a different feeding station.

Ray

View attachment 1077599
Cool picture, Ray. They are inquisitive birds.

I started the insurance process on my truck. If it stays gone for two weeks they will pay it off and I can start over. The sad part is, I just spent a few thousand on a lift, wheels, and tires for that thing. I won't get that money back :(

All kidding aside, good luck with that, John. I'm sure you'll argue that decision. Let us know what happens and if it's not favorable we'll start an old knife nut campaign to boycott the insurance company!:D

All kidding aside, good luck with that, John. I'm sure you'll argue that decision. Let us know what happens and if it's not favorable we'll start an old knife nut campaign to boycott the insurance company!:D
Sometimes they will only cover stuff claimed on the policy. Then if you want upgrades added to your policy, they charge you more money. This has happened to several of my friends who put claims in on their Jeeps that had thousands and thousands of dollars of upgrades. Hopefully with such a minimal amount they will just accept it.

Very true. If you significantly raise the value of your vehicle with upgrades, you will need additional insurance.

Dear friends,

I'm afraid I have some very sad news to share with you. While I was in Sheffield today, I learned, from a mutual friend, about the death of long-term forum member Mick @wellington Mick has been absent for a while, and there has been speculation about his absence before. He passed away quite suddenly apparently, a while ago.

Mick had a world-class collection, including many old Sheffield knives, and at least 50 of Stan Shaw's, some of which he shared with us here, in the thread he started: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/made-in-sheffield-1830-1930-a-golden-age.699298/

DSC02799-1.jpg

Mick's son, John, is not a knife collector, and offered to donate his father's collection to Sheffield Museums. Inexplicably, they had no interest in it, and so instead John gave away the knives, mostly to a local charity shop apparently. The location of these fabulous knives is now unknown.

Sorry to have to pass on this tragic news. I'm sure all the members who knew Mick, will remember him fondly.

Jack

Edit - BUT PLEASE SEE MY FURTHER COMMENTS

Last edited:
Dear friends,

I'm afraid I have some very sad news to share with you. While I was in Sheffield today, I learned, from a mutual friend, about the death of long-term forum member Mick @wellington Mick has been absent for a while, and there has been speculation about his absence before. He passed away quite suddenly apparently, a while ago.

Mick had a world-class collection, including many old Sheffield knives, and at least 50 of Stan Shaw's, some of which he shared with us here, in the thread he started: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/made-in-sheffield-1830-1930-a-golden-age.699298/

DSC02799-1.jpg

Mick's son, John, is not a knife collector, and offered to donate his father's collection to Sheffield Museums. Inexplicably, they had no interest in it, and so instead John gave away the knives, mostly to a local charity shop apparently. The location of these fabulous knives is now unknown.

Sorry to have to pass on this tragic news. I'm sure all the members who knew Mick, will remember him fondly.

Jack
May he rest in peace.

I used Mick as a reference and contact for a number of years as I grew my Sheffield collection. He was always willing to help and lend his considerable knowledge. While I never met him I have always felt a connection to him. We are greatly diminished. In my opinion the greatest thread ever started on Blade Forums was Micks on the Golden Age of Sheffield.

As a side bar to this tragic news I myself have made enquiries to the Sheffield Museum about leaving my collection to them and met with similar unwillingness. Maybe some of our friends in the UK can help with this tragic loss of history.

I pray for his family and ours.

That is extremely sad news Jack - in fact quite upsetting. I corresponded with Mick some years ago - we would pm a little back and forward.
Then....... he dropped out of sight and he did get back to me the once more stating he had a farm and he was quite busy on that, I think then that was the last time I heard from Mick.

He has been missed for some time - I saddened to know just why.

Jake my friend it’s nice to see you post- but not under these circumstances mate.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news folks, I know that Mick was very highly regarded here :( :thumbsup:

As a side bar to this tragic news I myself have made enquiries to the Sheffield Museum about leaving my collection to them and met with similar unwillingness. Maybe some of our friends in the UK can help with this tragic loss of history.

I am sure you are not alone Brad, the people running the Sheffield Museums are an absolute disgrace in my opinion, there are virtually no knives on display in any of them anymore. Stan Shaw is very upset that his knives are no longer displayed. If I get time, at some point, I think I will write to them, and give them a piece of my mind :mad: :thumbsup:

It is inexplicable and indeed philistine that a museum would turn down artifacts of such importance, most especially since they were products and indeed icons of the city of Sheffield itself. One can only infer that virtue signaling ignoramuses are currently in charge there:rolleyes:

Mick/wellington had a superb collection and comprehensive knowledge, his death is a blow to those who revere knives and knife heritage. I hope that those who bought some of those knives in charity shops realize the significance of them, assuming they were even 'allowed' to be sold and weren't put out in the recycling bin as part of the 'war on knife crime' :poop:

It is inexplicable and indeed philistine that a museum would turn down artifacts of such importance, most especially since they were products and indeed icons of the city of Sheffield itself. One can only infer that virtue signaling ignoramuses are currently in charge there:rolleyes:

Mick/wellington had a superb collection and comprehensive knowledge, his death is a blow to those who revere knives and knife heritage. I hope that those who bought some of those knives in charity shops realize the significance of them, assuming they were even 'allowed' to be sold and weren't put out in the recycling bin as part of the 'war on knife crime' :poop:

Unfortunately, charity shops here usually bin any knives they get donated :eek: I don't know if that happened in this case, but either way, I could weep. I am just glad Mick didn't have to witness this, it's a crying shame. I was told about it by a Sheffield lady of senior years, but she was as angry as I am about it :mad:

Dear friends,

DSC02799-1.jpg

Jack
I didn't know Mick, but it seems he was highly regarded by folks in this forum, whom I hold in high regard.
My condolences to his family and friends.
RIP, Mick.

Unfortunately, charity shops here usually bin any knives they get donated :eek: I don't know if that happened in this case, but either way, I could weep. I am just glad Mick didn't have to witness this, it's a crying shame. I was told about it by a Sheffield lady of senior years, but she was as angry as I am about it :mad:

Makes you wonder..
Very sorry to hear that bad news JB....i dont know if its worse when you haven't heard of someone for a while and find out they died or waiting for the inevitable...quick games a good game.
Sorry Mate.
All The Best.

Dear friends,

DSC02799-1.jpg

Jack

I'm deeply sorry to hear of this sad news. While I never met Mick, we exchanged many emails and I considered him a good friend. Aside from having a world class collection of some of the finest old Sheffield knives, Mick was also quite knowledgeable about the history of English cutlery. And beyond the beautiful knives and enthusiasm he had for the hobby, Mick was also a first class gentleman. He will absolutely be missed by anyone who knew him, Godspeed Mick.

Dear friends,

DSC02799-1.jpg

Jack

Folks, I was given this information today, by a mutual friend. The sad news was quite categorical. However, while trying to find a RIP notice this evening, I have come across this Twitter account - https://twitter.com/MikeCritchlow - which appears to be still active. I'm not on Twitter, but I'm obviously confused... :(

Jack

Folks, I was given this information today, by a mutual friend. The sad news was quite categorical. However, while trying to find a RIP notice this evening, I have come across this Twitter account - https://twitter.com/MikeCritchlow - which appears to be still active. I'm not on Twitter, but I'm obviously confused... :(

Jack

In looking through this feed, I don't think it's the same person. Not a knife amongst them.

Back