"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

I hope this is the right place for this. Just a small update. I’ve been away for a while. After finishing eight rounds of chemo and beginning to recuperate I fell and broke my left leg. Been in bed or a wheelchair for a few weeks. Back to beginning mobility and PT and reading and posting again.

I have a new 86 coming in time for my birthday. Glad to be catching up on what’s been happening.

I hope this is the right place for this. Just a small update. I’ve been away for a while. After finishing eight rounds of chemo and beginning to recuperate I fell and broke my left leg. Been in bed or a wheelchair for a few weeks. Back to beginning mobility and PT and reading and posting again.

I have a new 86 coming in time for my birthday. Glad to be catching up on what’s been happening.
Good to see you back. Sorry about the broken leg. But it sounds like you have a good attitude. To your continued recovery....

"The oldest federal military cemetery in Texas, Old Bayview was laid out by U.S. Army Engineers while Brig. Gen. Zachary Taylor was encamped in Corpus Christi on the eve of the Mexican War. On September 13, 1845, the steamer "Dayton," used to transfer men from St. Joseph's Island to Corpus Christi, burst a boiler near McGloin's Bluff (Old Ingleside), killing seven soldiers. Taylor obtained a burial site from H. L. Kinney, founder of Corpus Christi. Col. Hitchcock, who served under Taylor, wrote: 'On September 14, a military funeral took place at the burial ground which I selected. It is on the brow of the hill northwest of camp, and commands a view of the Nueces and Corpus Christi Bays. It is a beautiful spot.'
"After Taylor's army left Corpus Christi in 1846, the cemetery became the community burial ground. Here are graves of pioneer settlers, and of veterans of the war of 1812, Texas War for Independence, Mexican War, Indian campaigns, Civil War, and other conflicts."
So reads a brochure for an event put on today at the cemetery by The Friends of Old Bayview Cemetery Association & The Nueces County Historical Commission.
9TIhkxf.jpg

It was held from 10:00 a.m to 2:00 p.m. today, and I went with my wife and daughter. There were people in period costumes talking about the history of the cemetery. Here are a few pics:
7I73Tqj.jpg

pvyubjb.jpg

wDR0Jl5.jpg

mMYcKVi.jpg

CK2cGZ4.jpg

Fi98XiO.jpg

e1GrRPE.jpg

GQLrrCb.jpg

ByoQd8H.jpg

01pY7xu.jpg

From the back side of the cemetery, you can see the Harbor Bridge:
klWUIgv.jpg

My wife ran a half-marathon over that bridge last week [see the Guardians of the Lambsfoot thread].
Here's the "old courthouse" in the distance:
BaiXyLe.jpg

I still refer the the replacement as the "new courthouse," even though it's been around over 40 years. The old courthouse was there when the 1919 hurricane hit, killing hundreds. My grandmother was a child of 13 at the time.
I may have a relative there. I went to the public library and found a listing of the graves at the cemetery, and there was a "Mrs. Wilmot" buried there in 1908. No first name was given, or date of birth, but there are not that many Wilmots here. It is my mother's maiden name, so it may be one of my great-grandmothers. Will have to do some research.
Here's the "Old Concrete Street Amphitheater", where people like Willie Nelson and Carlos Santana have performed:
wkeYDXh.jpg

My wife and I saw Sheryl Crow there in 2006.
Anyway, it was an interesting visit. I did not take my knife out, but I was carrying this one:
BUTUQCV.jpg

(By the way, if you don't have your V-cutter handy, the Opinel will do just fine):
GS5amON.jpg

It's been a good day.

Mayonardo, sorry for your troubles. Feel better fast, enjoy your 86 and your B-day, I'll be praying for your healing.

Thanks everyone. The leg is healing nicely and my cancer is behaving itself for now so life is good and I have an oil sucker rod 86 in order.

prester: I lived in Corpus for a few years as a kid. I remember getting shrimp and oysters off the boats at the “T-Heads” (which are probably gone now). Native Texan, Cowtown.

Thanks everyone. The leg is healing nicely and my cancer is behaving itself for now so life is good and I have an oil sucker rod 86 in order.

prester: I lived in Corpus for a few years as a kid. I remember getting shrimp and oysters off the boats at the “T-Heads” (which are probably gone now). Native Texan, Cowtown.
The T-Heads are still here. Actually, two T-Heads and an L-Head (where the Yacht Club is located). You can still get shrimp there. I had shrimp and catfish last night at a local restaurant.
Glad the cancer is behaving itself. Have a great Sunday!
CEX2maP.jpg

Q5bhspC.jpg

Last edited:

I wish you health and happiness Mayonardo:thumbsup: glad your back on the porch:cool:

May you return to the code of your full wholeness, Mayonardo ! Happy Birthday fine Sir

n Flanders Fields
By John McCrae

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie,
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

Death of the Ball Turret Gunner — Randal Jarrell

From my mother's sleep I fell into the State,
And I hunched in its belly till my wet fur froze.
Six miles from earth, loosed from its dream of life,
I woke to black flak and the nightmare fighters.
When I died they washed me out of the turret with a hose.

Back