"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

Jolipapa

Basic Member
My dad always hung the horseshoes upside down on the farm above the doorways. The reason being so the luck would fall on you when you walk under it. And the fact I survived to adulthood leads me to believe there's something to it. It probably has more to do with what my mother said. Whenever a boy is born on a farm he's automatically assigned two guardian angels as it's too much work for one.
The family's Guardian Angel was probably very busy yesterday friday the13th !
So he took a rest on saturday the 14th... Just when in the morning my daughter's car had a punctured tyre in the middle of nowhere. I'm not sure it was the right time for her to discover that on modern cars they don't bother anymore with details like spare wheel or jack... 😧

It was certainly during our GA's afternoon nap that my keychain opened iself in the bus and falled silently... How I love to sit on the carpet in front of my door, waiting for an answer from that-friend-that-keeps-a spare-key-just-in-case... 😤

dantzk8

Basic Member
So he took a rest on saturday the 14th... Just when in the morning my daughter's car had a punctured tyre in the middle of nowhere. I'm not sure it was the right time for her to discover that on modern cars they don't bother anymore with details like spare wheel or jack... 😧

It was certainly during our GA's afternoon nap that my keychain opened iself in the bus and falled silently... How I love to sit on the carpet in front of my door, waiting for an answer from that-friend-that-keeps-a spare-key-just-in-case... 😤
Which raises a crucial question: your horseshoe, upside up or down?

Dan.

Jack Black

Gold Member
... I'm not sure it was the right time for her to discover that on modern cars they don't bother anymore with details like spare wheel or jack... 😧
Isn't that a disgrace?! 🤬:thumbsup:
It was certainly during our GA's afternoon nap that my keychain opened itself in the bus and falled silently... How I love to sit on the carpet in front of my door, waiting for an answer from that-friend-that-keeps-a spare-key-just-in-case... 😤
Oh no! :oops::rolleyes::(

meako

Gold Member

Oh dear.. how behind the times you are mon ami. I have one of those new fangled spare key security coded lock boxes for when I misplace my door key....so modern so convenient...why I dont even need to take a key out with me anymore....the horseshoe is to bash the the thing open with when I "forget the code"

*"get home pissed".😁

Prester John

Basic Member
Amazing. I guess soon they will want to charge you extra for the four tires and wheels that get you down the road. :(
What I really don't like are electric windows--I want the crank! Never know when your car might go underwater. Anyway, had to pay a lot of money recently to get electric windows fixed. They wouldn't roll up!

Fodderwing

Gold Member
What I really don't like are electric windows--I want the crank! Never know when your car might go underwater. Anyway, had to pay a lot of money recently to get electric windows fixed. They wouldn't roll up!
And it's outrageous what a window motor repair costs. My poor youngest daughter has had three of the four on her vehicle go out lately one at a time.

knarfeng

senex morosus moderator
Staff member
Super Mod
My KIA that I bought from Hertz before they went bust came with an inflation kit instead of a spare tire. It has goop that goes into the tire through the air line. The goop seals the hole. It also comes with a pump that plugs into the "cigarette lighter" plug. It saves about 50 pounds worth of jack and tire weight. Makes sense for a car rental company. But didn't make sense for me as a private driver in So Cal. So I bought a spare tire and jack kit. Then I bought an 18" piece of 3/4" pipe to add to the kit. Those short lug nut wrenches they give you these days are not long enough for me to put enough torque on the nuts to remove them. Been there. Tried that. Failed. So now I keep an 18" "cheater bar" in each of my cars stored with the spare tire.

dantzk8

Basic Member

The windows i prefer are the old school sliding ones. 100720.jpg

The strangest ones were on my first car, a Citroën 2CV. leve_glace_pk_sur_2cv_type_a.jpg
Unfortunately I am serious. When she bought her new Toyota nobody told her about the fact the spare wheel is an option...
I confirm, my wife's car, an Audi, has no spare wheel, unexpected at the price the car is sold. Not a puncture in 11 years of use though. On my 4WD the spare wheel is bolted to the rear door. It looks better.

Dan.

Last edited:

Jolipapa

Basic Member
The windows i prefer are the old school sliding ones. View attachment 1823109

The strangest ones were on my first car, a Citroën 2CV. View attachment 1823111

I confirm, my wife's car, an Audi, has no spare wheel, unexpected at the price the car is sold. Not a puncture in 11 years of use though. On my 4WD the spare wheel is bolted to the rear door. It looks better.

Dan.
She does not need a 4WD, roads are fine down in Burgundy ! 😂😂😂

mbkr

Gold Member
My KIA that I bought from Hertz before they went bust came with an inflation kit instead of a spare tire. It has goop that goes into the tire through the air line. The goop seals the hole. It also comes with a pump that plugs into the "cigarette lighter" plug. It saves about 50 pounds worth of jack and tire weight. Makes sense for a car rental company. But didn't make sense for me as a private driver in So Cal. So I bought a spare tire and jack kit. Then I bought an 18" piece of 3/4" pipe to add to the kit. Those short lug nut wrenches they give you these days are not long enough for me to put enough torque on the nuts to remove them. Been there. Tried that. Failed. So now I keep an 18" "cheater bar" in each of my cars stored with the spare tire.
I have a breaker bar in my vehicles as well as a hammer in case a sharp whack on the end of the bar is required to get things started.

I'm a little late with this, but it was a long scroll to find it.
6xZ8zrx.jpg