1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 39 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Cold Steel Tuff Lite & Cold Steel Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Cold Steel Knives Tuff Lite & Cold Steel Merch Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Sept 28 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by jackknife, Jul 5, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Pàdruig

Pàdruig Live and Let Die Platinum Member

Dec 1, 2016
    [​IMG]

The house we are in the process of buying just appraised at $43k over what we are paying for it. Should be getting the keys sometime next week. As you can imagine, I am in a particularly fine mood today.

2. Chui

Chui Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 10, 2012
    - congrats, Dylan.

Builders arrive to take our ground floor apart a week Monday..........weeks to come of eating dust and noise :( (drink more whisky, that'll help........)

Wurrwulf likes this.
  3. Old Engineer

Old Engineer Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Good to see that you are still around ~P. We hope that you will again be in Titusville in August ????

Harry

4. JTB_5

JTB_5 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 6, 2017
    Nice, Dylan! Glad you got a great deal.

5. black mamba

black mamba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Thanks, Kevin, the 93OT must be the one I was thinking of.

veitsi_poika likes this.
  6. Copperberry

Copperberry

Apr 5, 2018
    Buckle yer seatbelts folks, it’s high time this knife tale got told here.

Last summer my long time travel buddy/lover/enabler and I decided to tie the knot in front of our family and friends.

[​IMG]

As you can see, it was a gorgeous July day here in northern Idaho — hot, but with a nice gentle breeze that helped ease the 90 degree weather for our guests.

Earlier that morning my soon to be wife and I exchanged our gifts for one another. I gave her a hand made genuine leather briefcase to show my confidence in her budding career, and she gave me this — which I’m sure you all will appreciate:

[​IMG]

Those of you who have done the whole wedding thing know that a lot of work goes on behind the scenes, and a lot of that work fell on my lap. I was out at the farm all morning setting everything up, and then again all afternoon getting photographed with the wedding party. While I enjoyed every second of the proceedings that afternoon, the constant sunshine and heat was beginning to take its toll.

[​IMG]

The ceremony was pure bliss. Short, sweet, and heartfelt — I would do it 100 times over again. Please note the beautiful flowers on the archway in the photo, they become important in a second here.

After the ceremony our friends gradually trickled out for the reception venue, as our respective maternal and paternal families took turns getting photographed with us under the archway. By this time I was hot, tired, dizzy with love, hungry for dinner, and ready for a cold beer or three.

Just as we were getting ready to leave the farm, my new bride asked me if I could use the pocket knife she gave me to cut the flowers down off the archway, so that the rental company could pack it up after we left.

Happy to oblige I pulled the pretty little tear-drop wharncliffe open and began slicing away at the zip ties which held the flowers in place. Unfortunately these were industrial zip ties, about a quarter inch thick each, and in my compromised state I was not practicing safe knife procedure.

Next thing I knew the knife slipped off of the zip tie, the downward force bringing my hand down to punch myself in the gut. After letting out a gasp, I untucked my dress shirt and pulled it up over my belly to reveal a perfect little slit blurping out bright red blood.

Needless to say my father in law rushed me to the local emergency room in his van.

[​IMG]

Near as we can tell the blade went straight in to the bolster, so I’m glad I was not carrying my beloved Buck 110 that day.

I’m fine, my beer gut and abdominal muscles kept me from poking anything important, and we even managed to make the end of our reception!

We left a few morning later for our National Park honeymoon, a special message scrolled across our rear windshield.

[​IMG]

Thanks for listening everyone, I hope you have a wonderful weekend!

Karl

Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
  7. Peregrin

Peregrin Traditional Forum Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Sep 2, 2004
    @Copperberry
    Good tale well told, Karl. Glad it turned out okay.

Copperberry likes this.
  8. r redden

r redden Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 23, 2015
    I can't play anymore Jeff but for me I was never a fan just an addict. :eek::rolleyes::D

Leghog you are a lucky man being able to enjoy a day with your both your beautiful bride and two mistresses (the hotdog and the ballpark.) :D:D:D

Congrats Dylan that's an exceptional day a new home and an extra 43 grand in your pocket.

@Copperberry Congratulations on you and your brides marriage, sorry you stabbed yourself, and welcome to the Porch sounds like you're going to fit in just fine. :thumbsup::D

Copperberry and Wurrwulf like this.
  9. btb01

btb01 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 26, 2008
    Sounds like good news to me, Dylan, although I'd be crossing my fingers that the property tax assessment comes in closer to what you're paying than what it appraised for. ;)

That's quite a story! I'm glad you're ok. (Was that photo of the knife taken before or after it had been inside your abdomen?) :D

10. Copperberry

Copperberry

Apr 5, 2018
    After!

I took that photo this morning as I left the house. We did a bunch of landscaping last year and our ornamental thyme just started exploding this spring — too good to pass up a photo opp!

I look forward to passing this particular knife down the family tree.

@Pàdruig that is really great, you didn’t even have to put in any sweat equity yet!

Cheers all

Karl

11. mrknife

mrknife Gold Member Gold Member

May 9, 2010
    I think you are going to like staying at the cross country resort if you attend the rendezvous. its a golf resort randy. shame no driving range there

r redden likes this.
  12. leghog

leghog

Aug 10, 2013
    Northern beans, hamhocks, and onion in the crockpot. It'll be good eats this afternoon.

13. sunnyd

sunnyd Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 17, 2004
    Great story of your wedding, Karl. Enjoyed it. Sorry about your mishap and glad you only got a flesh wound out of it. It sounds like you got a great better half as well in the bargain.. I love the very sweet Case Wharncliff too. Much wedding bliss to you both!

Copperberry and Grateful like this.
  14. jackknife

jackknife

Oct 2, 2004
    Come, come now Karl! We all know that a mere slip joint is not capable of stabbing through a suit coat, shirt and beer belly up to the bolster. After all, it isn't a tacticool knife of the month with wonder steel and a blade lock capable of suspending a Sherman tank.

All kidding aside, congratulations on the wedding and getting off lightly as well!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Now your knife can be handed down in the family to be with an interesting history attached to it. Best of luck to you.

Copperberry likes this.
  15. Grateful

Grateful Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 5, 2002
    sunnyd, long time no see. Glad to see you around.

Copperberry likes this.
  16. herder

herder Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Congratulations on the marriage Copperberry, and who hasn't slipped with a blade before? :)

Copperberry likes this.
  17. Copperberry

Copperberry

Apr 5, 2018
    Have you ever tried borracho beans? You cook onion down with bacon and chorizo, add a few chopped tomatoes once the meat starts to render, add a few cans of pinto beans and a pint of beer. Stew that all together and it’s heaven!

Thanks for the case love! I got a tidy little scar out of the bargain too!
    And yes my wife is the best I’m a lucky man.

Thanks! I heard getting shot with a .22 don’t hurt either! ;)

I used to cook professionally and got plenty of little knicks from that, but nothing quite like this slip!

Have a great Saturday everyone!

sunnyd likes this.
  18. jackknife

jackknife

Oct 2, 2004
    Slipped?

SLIPPED????

No man, a slip is when you're cutting something and you nick a finger and go "Ouch" and then go get a bandaid. It's a bit more than a slip when you accidentally almost commit seppuku with your pocket knife!:eek:

:D

Cambertree, sunnyd, Wurrwulf and 3 others like this.
  19. leghog

leghog

Aug 10, 2013
    Too much work for me. I just soak beans and thaw some smoked pork pieces overnight. Dump them in a crockpot with chopped onion, chicken stock, and seasoning in the morning and walk away for several hours.

meako likes this.
  20. r redden

r redden Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 23, 2015

Outstanding observation Carl!! :thumbsup::cool::eek:
    By the way when are we going to get another of your tales also have I ever told you that you should write a book? :D:D

mrknife likes this.