1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by jackknife, Jul 5, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Humppa

Humppa

Jul 25, 2010
    Hey guys!

I´ve benn a away for some time, again. But we moved to our new home. As I bought a house last summer and during the winter months I was renovating it. We made new electricity and ground off the parkett floor and added new covers. We are now in our new home for almost four weeks on today. It is still not everythin in order, but the progress is there.

It was a hard to get through after my dad´s way too early passing at the age of 65 on 30th Novembre 2017. It will be a strange year. Full of heavy changes.

Stay sharp, fellas.

2. herder

herder Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Slipped, Stabbed, Beheaded...
    mere semantics. :) :)

3. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    That is SOME story Karl! :eek: Welcome to The Porch :D :thumbsup:

Good to see you here Andi :thumbsup:

Copperberry likes this.
  4. r redden

r redden Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 23, 2015
    Andi you have had a full plate my friend. Congratulations on the new home but I am so sorry to hear of your Dad's passing. He was my age I will be 65 the 22nd of this month.

5. sunnyd

sunnyd Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 17, 2004
    Thanks. Good to be back.

Grateful likes this.
  6. meako

meako Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 4, 2006
    Cooperberry, Cooperberry..Cooperberry
    Firstly congratulations to you both.
    Historically ,13th century Transylvanian prince Vlad Tepes was known as Vlad The Impaler aka Count Dracula.
    Legend has it that whilst beheading some enemies his sword slipped on a particularly hard section of boiled leather jerkin known as a ziieptiiyye*. Vlad sustained a minor cut to his pinky finger causing much hilarity
    amogst his men. One is said to have remarked " Hey my Prince, maybe we should call you Vlad the Slipper."
    Before they could finish roaring with laughter Vlad ran him through and impaled
    three dozen just for being there.
    He retired to his tent ,put on his jewel
    encrusted velvet slippers and was heard mutterinh and cursing long into the night in an ancient Carpathian tongue which roughly translates to" rassen frazzen dont call me vlad the slippers grassen wrassen."
    The rest is history.
    Good luck.

7. jackknife

jackknife

Oct 2, 2004
    Been a bit busy to write and our plate has been a bit full. Both Karen and myself have had some medical issues, and we're working out way through it. I've meant to put up some stories and some ideas are floating around my mind, but it's just been hectic.

8. r redden

r redden Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 23, 2015
    Carl you and your bride take it easy and get well my friend.

9. 1066vik

1066vik Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 28, 2009
    Andi,
    congrats on the new house, condolences on the loss of your father.

10. scrteened porch

scrteened porch Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 19, 2012
    Good to see you, Andi.

11. sunnyd

Jul 17, 2004

12. sunnyd

Jul 17, 2004
    Here's wishing both you both a speedy recovery and many blessings

13. 5K Qs

5K Qs Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2014
    I always enjoy the wide-ranging discussions in the Lounge, but I haven't made time to contribute much lately. :( Here are some posts that I considered recent highlights for one reason or another.
    Thanks for the intriguing photo essay, Dylan. :cool::thumbsup::) I had no idea that Rusk played a role. Rusk is something I associate with my Dutch heritage; grandparents often made me eat Rusk with milk if I had any kind of stomach malady! :rolleyes:

That seems like an impossible goal, Gary, since your target keeps moving as you keep eating more bangers! :D

Well-said, @Dadpool ! :thumbsup::thumbsup:
    Barrett, is there any way to archive old "conversations"? I used to do that with PMs using the old forum software, but I haven't been able to find a good way to do it with the current tools.

Hey, look WHOOO is peering in! :thumbsup::D
    Good to see both ~P and Andi making an appearance!! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

I agree with Randy, @jc57 ! I consider your posts well-thought-out, informative, and "a voice of reason" in the midst of Porch cutlery "madness". :thumbsup:;)

You can buy a new knife with that windfall, Dylan!! :thumbsup::D

Thanks for a gripping tale, Karl! :eek::cool::thumbsup: Congrats on your nuptials and welcome to The Porch. My wedding, almost 33 years ago, is just a blur to me; I remember very little about that day. :rolleyes: But I'm thinking yours is going to be VERY memorable! ;):thumbsup:

Good point, Carl. I have a Kevlar glove I sometimes wear when I whittle, but Karl's story makes me wonder if I should look for a Kevlar cummerbund to wear for formal occasions! :p:D

Best wishes that both of you get healthy ASAP, Carl! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

- GT

14. leghog

leghog

Aug 10, 2013
    April 8th and there's snow on the ground here. Is it really January 98th?

veitsi_poika and mrknife like this.
  15. btb01

btb01 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 26, 2008
    I don't know that there is. To be honest, I never had much luck downloading PMs on the old system, either. I guess you could always just copy and paste the contents of conversations into a document before deleting/"leaving" them. Personally, I take screenshots of my messages before deleting them, label them by date and member name, and store them together in a folder on my computer.

16. 5K Qs

Jul 20, 2014
    That's a couple good ideas, Barrett. :thumbsup::thumbsup: I'll have to experiment a little when I get some time to mess around with my messages.

- GT

17. jc57

jc57 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 28, 2012
    @5K Qs Good to see you posting again, GT. Sorry to hear about your recent loss. I didn't say anything before because there is nothing I knew to say. It is the curse of living. We either lose things precious to us, or we are the precious things that are lost by others. I think in the end, the joy from having love in our lives outweighs the pain from eventually losing it. But sometimes it sure doesn't feel that way. You just endure however you can. Cherish the days and hours you have now. There may be some other time when you look back and realize that these are in fact the "good old days."

18. Rookie82

Rookie82 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 25, 2014
    Cooperberry, that was quite a tale. You'll fit in here on the porch very nicely!

Copperberry likes this.
  19. 5K Qs

Jul 20, 2014
    Thanks for the kind and sincere words, John. I appreciate all of support I got here when the pain got too much for one of our dogs.

- GT

veitsi_poika and Copperberry like this.
  20. Copperberry

Copperberry

Apr 5, 2018

Thanks for all the welcomes folks! The porch seems like an awful nice place to be, glad I managed to find it, and looking forward to sharing in the cheer moving forward!!!