"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

Hey guys!

I´ve benn a away for some time, again. But we moved to our new home. As I bought a house last summer and during the winter months I was renovating it. We made new electricity and ground off the parkett floor and added new covers. We are now in our new home for almost four weeks on today. It is still not everythin in order, but the progress is there.

It was a hard to get through after my dad´s way too early passing at the age of 65 on 30th Novembre 2017. It will be a strange year. Full of heavy changes.

Stay sharp, fellas.

Hey guys!

I´ve benn a away for some time, again. But we moved to our new home. As I bought a house last summer and during the winter months I was renovating it. We made new electricity and ground off the parkett floor and added new covers. We are now in our new home for almost four weeks on today. It is still not everythin in order, but the progress is there.

It was a hard to get through after my dad´s way too early passing at the age of 65 on 30th Novembre 2017. It will be a strange year. Full of heavy changes.

Stay sharp, fellas.

Andi you have had a full plate my friend. Congratulations on the new home but I am so sorry to hear of your Dad's passing. He was my age I will be 65 the 22nd of this month.

Cooperberry, Cooperberry..Cooperberry
Firstly congratulations to you both.
Slipped?

SLIPPED????

No man, a slip is when you're cutting something and you nick a finger and go "Ouch" and then go get a bandaid. It's a bit more than a slip when you accidentally almost commit seppuku with your pocket knife!:eek:

:D
Historically ,13th century Transylvanian prince Vlad Tepes was known as Vlad The Impaler aka Count Dracula.
Legend has it that whilst beheading some enemies his sword slipped on a particularly hard section of boiled leather jerkin known as a ziieptiiyye*. Vlad sustained a minor cut to his pinky finger causing much hilarity
amogst his men. One is said to have remarked " Hey my Prince, maybe we should call you Vlad the Slipper."
Before they could finish roaring with laughter Vlad ran him through and impaled
three dozen just for being there.
He retired to his tent ,put on his jewel
encrusted velvet slippers and was heard mutterinh and cursing long into the night in an ancient Carpathian tongue which roughly translates to" rassen frazzen dont call me vlad the slippers grassen wrassen."
The rest is history.
Good luck.

Outstanding observation Carl!! :thumbsup::cool::eek:
By the way when are we going to get another of your tales also have I ever told you that you should write a book? :D:D

Been a bit busy to write and our plate has been a bit full. Both Karen and myself have had some medical issues, and we're working out way through it. I've meant to put up some stories and some ideas are floating around my mind, but it's just been hectic.

Hey guys!

Stay sharp, fellas.
Good to see you, Andi.

I always enjoy the wide-ranging discussions in the Lounge, but I haven't made time to contribute much lately. :( Here are some posts that I considered recent highlights for one reason or another.
I shared this on another part of the forum here that I like to frequent but I figured you guys might appreciate it too.

Thought I might demonstrate some good old fashioned charcuterie. I went to my buddy's house on Saturday to help him whip up a large batch of Cumberland sausage, otherwise known as "Bangers". For those of you who are familiar with British fare, bangers are a bit of a staple for some and my friend, who has long been enthused by British cooking, has really perfected his recipe. It is worth noting that he makes some of the best haggis I have ever tried and his Lorne sausage and black pudding are equally amazing.
GpCSKb4.jpg

Thanks for the intriguing photo essay, Dylan. :cool::thumbsup::) I had no idea that Rusk played a role. Rusk is something I associate with my Dutch heritage; grandparents often made me eat Rusk with milk if I had any kind of stomach malady! :rolleyes:

Bangers! Yum! I think a visit to my favorite local Irish pub is in order!
When I was in the UK years ago I tried to eat my weight in Bangers before I left! I wasn't successful, but it was a valiant attempt.:D
That seems like an impossible goal, Gary, since your target keeps moving as you keep eating more bangers! :D

Today I was thinking about forum friends, which led, as it always does, to thinking about BigBiscuit. I can't bring myself to "unfollow" him on the forums, even though he's gone. It wouldn't feel right, somehow.

You know how when you visit your own profile (usually doing some housecleaning, in my case) the Following section shows six random avatars of folks you follow? Whenever I see Bob's, it makes me smile.

I have to imagine I'm not alone in this -- right?

Funny you should mention it, I was just cleaning out my message folder this afternoon and found some old conversations with Bob. I left 'em there.
Well-said, @Dadpool ! :thumbsup::thumbsup:
Barrett, is there any way to archive old "conversations"? I used to do that with PMs using the old forum software, but I haven't been able to find a good way to do it with the current tools.

Hey guys!

Stay sharp, fellas.
Hey, look WHOOO is peering in! :thumbsup::D
Good to see both ~P and Andi making an appearance!! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

JC I'm not buying knives right now and must admit this place is enabling however don't get to scarce I enjoy seeing your kitty kat avatar.
I agree with Randy, jc57 jc57 ! I consider your posts well-thought-out, informative, and "a voice of reason" in the midst of Porch cutlery "madness". :thumbsup:;)

The house we are in the process of buying just appraised at $43k over what we are paying for it. Should be getting the keys sometime next week. As you can imagine, I am in a particularly fine mood today.
You can buy a new knife with that windfall, Dylan!! :thumbsup::D

Buckle yer seatbelts folks, it’s high time this knife tale got told here.
kbfCydt.jpg

Karl
Thanks for a gripping tale, Karl! :eek::cool::thumbsup: Congrats on your nuptials and welcome to The Porch. My wedding, almost 33 years ago, is just a blur to me; I remember very little about that day. :rolleyes: But I'm thinking yours is going to be VERY memorable! ;):thumbsup:

Slipped?

SLIPPED????

No man, a slip is when you're cutting something and you nick a finger and go "Ouch" and then go get a bandaid. It's a bit more than a slip when you accidentally almost commit seppuku with your pocket knife!:eek:

:D
Good point, Carl. I have a Kevlar glove I sometimes wear when I whittle, but Karl's story makes me wonder if I should look for a Kevlar cummerbund to wear for formal occasions! :p:D

Been a bit busy to write and our plate has been a bit full. Both Karen and myself have had some medical issues, and we're working out way through it. I've meant to put up some stories and some ideas are floating around my mind, but it's just been hectic.
Best wishes that both of you get healthy ASAP, Carl! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

- GT

Barrett, is there any way to archive old "conversations"? I used to do that with PMs using the old forum software, but I haven't been able to find a good way to do it with the current tools.

I don't know that there is. To be honest, I never had much luck downloading PMs on the old system, either. I guess you could always just copy and paste the contents of conversations into a document before deleting/"leaving" them. Personally, I take screenshots of my messages before deleting them, label them by date and member name, and store them together in a folder on my computer.

That's a couple good ideas, Barrett. :thumbsup::thumbsup: I'll have to experiment a little when I get some time to mess around with my messages.

- GT

5K Qs 5K Qs Good to see you posting again, GT. Sorry to hear about your recent loss. I didn't say anything before because there is nothing I knew to say. It is the curse of living. We either lose things precious to us, or we are the precious things that are lost by others. I think in the end, the joy from having love in our lives outweighs the pain from eventually losing it. But sometimes it sure doesn't feel that way. You just endure however you can. Cherish the days and hours you have now. There may be some other time when you look back and realize that these are in fact the "good old days."

5K Qs 5K Qs Good to see you posting again, GT. Sorry to hear about your recent loss. I didn't say anything before because there is nothing I knew to say. It is the curse of living. We either lose things precious to us, or we are the precious things that are lost by others. I think in the end, the joy from having love in our lives outweighs the pain from eventually losing it. But sometimes it sure doesn't feel that way. You just endure however you can. Cherish the days and hours you have now. There may be some other time when you look back and realize that these are in fact the "good old days."
Thanks for the kind and sincere words, John. I appreciate all of support I got here when the pain got too much for one of our dogs.

- GT

Copperberry Copperberry Congratulations on you and your brides marriage, sorry you stabbed yourself, and welcome to the Porch sounds like you're going to fit in just fine. :thumbsup::D

That is SOME story Karl! :eek: Welcome to The Porch :D :thumbsup:

Thanks for a gripping tale, Karl! :eek::cool::thumbsup: Congrats on your nuptials and welcome to The Porch. My wedding, almost 33 years ago, is just a blur to me; I remember very little about that day. :rolleyes: But I'm thinking yours is going to be VERY memorable! ;):thumbsup:

- GT

Cooperberry, that was quite a tale. You'll fit in here on the porch very nicely!

Thanks for all the welcomes folks! The porch seems like an awful nice place to be, glad I managed to find it, and looking forward to sharing in the cheer moving forward!!!

Back