"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

I am no where near as known as several on here, but I have been absent from the Porch for some time and mostly this whole board. I was notified I had been promoted last August and it took effect on January 1. I needed and welcomed the change, but between the new job duties and living life with a wife and 2 year old little girl I have had very little time for the porch. As I am trying to get caught up in the office on a Sunday afternoon, I just wanted to drop a line that I intend to be back around some more enjoying the pictures, stories, and camaraderie!
UjsQ6qbl.jpg

Is it true they're about to make on-line knife sales illegal in England and Wales? Illegal to ship to residences, anyway.

Is it true they're about to make on-line knife sales illegal in England and Wales? Illegal to ship to residences, anyway.

- yep :(

It is my opinion only - but this is knee-jerk reaction by the government, trying to demonstrate to the media+general public that they're doing something about it............whereas, in fact, there'll still be many millions of fixed blade kitchen knives out there anyway, the most commonly used knife in all these drastically sad cases we have in UK.

Mods - if this is too OT, please delete last bit

Last edited:
I am no where near as known as several on here, but I have been absent from the Porch for some time and mostly this whole board. I was notified I had been promoted last August and it took effect on January 1. I needed and welcomed the change, but between the new job duties and living life with a wife and 2 year old little girl I have had very little time for the porch. As I am trying to get caught up in the office on a Sunday afternoon, I just wanted to drop a line that I intend to be back around some more enjoying the pictures, stories, and camaraderie!
Good to hear that you're getting adjusted to new circumstances and intending to have more time to spend here, greentrout greentrout ! :thumbsup::) And good to see your trademark swayback jack; I think I remember that going on a beach vacation with you last year, right? ;)

- GT

- yep :(

It is my opinion only - but this is knee-jerk reaction by the government, trying to demonstrate to the media+general public that they're doing something about it............whereas, in fact, there'll still be many millions of fixed blade kitchen knives out there anyway, the most commonly used knife in all these drastically sad cases we have in UK.

Mods - if this is too OT, please delete last bit

Sad times.

Some ill-thought out and very invasive legislation coming from the look of it :( Gents, I'm going to ask that our posts be moved to The Lounge, where this issue was discussed before :thumbsup:

"While we still can say 'this is the worst', this is not the worst."
(Somebody in King Lear.)

Last edited:
ix-Nay on the olitical-Pay opic-Tay.

Large words are oddly difficult to turn into pig latin. At least they are for me.

UjsQ6qbl.jpg
Is the dollar balance on your adding machine the amount that you have saved up to spend on pocket knives since you took your break from The Porch? :D:thumbsup:

- Kevin

While not currently in the market for new knives, I still constantly peruse knife maker's wares here in the Knife Maker For Sale section and on Instagram. I was showing my wife a video a knife maker had uploaded showing the knife taking paper thin slices off of a "free standing" tomato when my wife said something I found interesting: "Why would you spend $xxx on a knife that's been used?"

I have never once considered this. I don't know how, but I've never thought about a brand new knife from a maker being considered "used" by staging photos/videos, especially in a kitchen setting. Now, my wife is not a "knife person", and maybe it's that distance and disconnect from our little world that makes it apparent to her yet not to me. Does anyone else here think this? Has it stopped you from buying? Surely, a knife maker would freshen it up before shipping out, but I was amazed by how much that question threw me for a loop.

I don't know. That little nugget was just rattling around in my head, and I thought I'd share.

While not currently in the market for new knives, I still constantly peruse knife maker's wares here in the Knife Maker For Sale section and on Instagram. I was showing my wife a video a knife maker had uploaded showing the knife taking paper thin slices off of a "free standing" tomato when my wife said something I found interesting: "Why would you spend $xxx on a knife that's been used?"

I have never once considered this. I don't know how, but I've never thought about a brand new knife from a maker being considered "used" by staging photos/videos, especially in a kitchen setting. Now, my wife is not a "knife person", and maybe it's that distance and disconnect from our little world that makes it apparent to her yet not to me. Does anyone else here think this? Has it stopped you from buying? Surely, a knife maker would freshen it up before shipping out, but I was amazed by how much that question threw me for a loop.

I don't know. That little nugget was just rattling around in my head, and I thought I'd share.

I've never thought of a maker's testing of a knife as "use" to be honest. It seems like part of the process of knife-making to test the edge and strength of the blade before sending it out. That sort of quality control seems a major benefit of getting a custom knife over a production knife, no?

I would say that a fine meal at a restaurant is tasted frequently by the chef, so as to make any adjustments necessary along the way for the best possible meal to arrive at your table. I would rather this, than to eat a frozen dinner pumped out by machines in a factory and then sealed in a sterile environment.

Back